Is there anyone NOT having problems with 1,5 TSI manual ?

iwsitl

I don't want to appear contentious but I don't really have any major issues (and much less than my 1.2 Qashqai).  If I just release the clutch it pulls away smoothly but on most occasions I give a little tap on the accelerator and then pull away at around 1500-16000 revs with no kangarooing.  There can be a slight dip in power when you come off the revs but no worrying issues but it does like to rev freely in low gears.  It is honestly the best and smoothest car I have ever had.

I do feel sorry for those with issues and am grateful that mine seems fine.  It was registered in May 2018 if that helps define the issue.

I have the 1.5tsi sel manual Karoq, I had a build week 13, 26/03/2018 but it did not go into production until the 10/04/2018. The dealer received the car on the 15/05/2018 and registered it on the 19/05/2018. As I have said on earlier posts I have no issues with kangarooing or pulling away smoothly whether the weather is warm or cold, I do the think there is a flat spot in 1st and second gear but no problem when you are aware of it. Also there is no problem with the revs going up and down erratically on start up whatever the weather, it starts at 1250rpm and if the air conditioning is off it quickly drops to 750rpm if the air con is on it hovers around 980rpm. The car has now done 8600 miles with no problems, it's due an oil service shortly and the dealer will be told not to do any ECU updates without notifying me first and if they insist it needs doing I will be speaking to someone at Skoda UK.

Peachysheff describes exactly how my car drives with the flat spot/hesitation that is detectable but quite manageable especially if you tap the accelerator before pulling off - they were both May registrations which implies things were fine then and something was changed later.

I haven't got any issues with my 1.5 Edition.  Build week was 12, received beginning of April.

The only thing I could complain about is the naff first gear which needs more acceleration than my previous car but not had any kangerooing at all.  Also nigh on impossible to accelerate from standing in second gear, most likely stalling it. 

Pretty much love the drive though, great gadgets, and really comfy seats, better than even the old XC90.  And it's fairly nippy in town. 

On 13/12/2018 at 19:20, Englando said:

Also nigh on impossible to accelerate from standing in second gear, most likely stalling it.

I sometimes find it hard to gauge what gear to select when in 2nd, whilst driving my 1.5 TSI manual. 

For instance when slowing as the vehicle in front has been stationary and then proceeding to turn right. It's a bit of a grey area; dropping into 1st gear causes too much engine breaking and almost brings the car to a standstill. However staying in 2nd provides massive hesitancy or 'flat spot' whereby you don't know if the engine will start to labour or stall but eventually starts to pick up even with around 1/3 of the accelerator depressed. I wouldn't put it down to turbo lag, more likely to do with the fuel mapping as the torque from the engine without the turbo should still be able to move it along enough as to not hinder momentum or progress.

Hope thats understandable.

I thought the OP was clear. 

'Who is not having issues'.    & not 'Why are some having issues'.

There were euro 6 VW Group vehicles with 1.4 & 1.5 & 1.8 TSI/TFSI 140 or 150 or even 180/192 PS engines with Manual boxes & with as much as 320ps 

and these did not and do not have the issues that others describe in the threads were people have issues.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Gaz1985 said:

I sometimes find it hard to gauge what gear to select when in 2nd, whilst driving my 1.5 TSI manual. 

For instance when slowing as the vehicle in front has been stationary and then proceeding to turn right. It's a bit of a grey area; dropping into 1st gear causes too much engine breaking and almost brings the car to a standstill. However staying in 2nd provides massive hesitancy or 'flat spot' whereby you don't know if the engine will start to labour or stall but eventually starts to pick up even with around 1/3 of the accelerator depressed. I wouldn't put it down to turbo lag, more likely to do with the fuel mapping as the torque from the engine without the turbo should still be able to move it along enough as to not hinder momentum or progress.

Hope thats understandable.

Yes, exactly the same here.   (MY19 Superb Estate - 1.5TSi with manual gearbox.)

I have stalled mid-roundabout and mid-junction trying to pull away in second while rolling and so am now behaving like a very cautious learner treating dotted lines like "stop" lines even when the road ahead is patently clear.    Other threads have suggested that it's some models/some vehicles only.  My dealer test drove my car and has confirmed that it is affected by this now-recognised issue.  A software update/fix is expected in Q2 2019.  My car has apparently been "attached" by the dealer to the Skoda bulletin system for this fault and so I will be notified when the fix available to be is rolled out.  

I must say that knowing that they are onto this is making it *slightly* easier to live with.

Edited by driventodevon

3 hours ago, driventodevon said:

A software update/fix is expected in Q2 2019.  My car has apparently been "attached" by the dealer to the Skoda bulletin system for this fault and so I will be notified when the fix available to be is rolled out.  

I must say that knowing that they are onto this is making it *slightly* easier to live with.

I'll believe it when it happens.

"It's a characteristic of the engine and not a fault"

Some of the comments coming from Skoda make me wonder if there will ever be a solution. Noticed in the latest edition of What Skoda that the Karoq on test, if it was the same as photographed, was an '18 plate.

Please note.

7 hours ago, Skoffski said:

'Who is not having issues'.    & not 'Why are some having issues'.

8 minutes ago, driventodevon said:

Oh. I assumed this was irony on the part of OP.  B)

No, I am serious and trying to figure out if it is software related to wlpt or flat spot some reported on MY18 cars or it is mechanical. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, iwsitl said:

No, I am serious and trying to figure out if it is software related to wlpt or flat spot some reported on MY18 cars or it is mechanical. 

Yes, I know you are serious and my first reply in this thread (to a post from Gaz1985) should have made this obvious.  

However it seems that some readers felt that the only replies to your question should come from owners who are "NOT" having problems, hence my "irony" comment.  (I suppose that, if I read your thread title literally, I can see their point of view on this.) 

To answer your latest post, the information that Skoda are releasing to dealers suggests that they think it's a software issue as opposed to a mechanical issue.   (I don't even know if those are binary alternatives, but that seems to be your question.)

Right, if that hasn't cleared that up, nothing can. :dry:

@iwsitl sorry I got sucked in replying to a previous comment.

Obviously mine IS affected:

Build Week 24 - week commencing 11th June - Edition 1.5Tsi Manual

Not sure on how the forum Moderator operates but maybe they could clean up your thread and transport the irrelevant posts over to the 1st gear issue thread and keep yours as intended.

It will be interesting to see if there are more owners vehicles NOT affected as you intended. :thumbup:

Perhaps a new thread, where respondents just post that they have the problem (not going into details) with the date built or registered. It might help pinpoint when this fault started in production. It would also give an idea of the number of forum owners without trawling through noting users.

Just a suggestion.

I'll get my coat!

I have a 1.5 tsi manual se-l, registration mid may 18. I don’t have the issue noted by others of kangarooing. Very happy with car following my Nissan qashqai 1.2 tsi, which was new but had issues with rattling dashboard, intermittent handbrake red light flashing and battery failure. The Skoda Karoq is a dream by comparison. 

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all,

I am new to this forum but loving the topics and info on it (apart from not being able to access the workshop manuals!! :(

I have the 1.5SE L petrol built mid Feb and picked up 3rd April.

I don't have any 'problems' with first gear other than the clutch does seem to 'bite' at a higher point that the other gears, which in itself does not make sense.

Anyway knowing this is the case I can adjust my driving to suit.  

I think if this thread had been set-up using the 'poll' feature it would be cleaner.

A simple 'yes' or 'no' selection with the request to add the age, gearbox and trim configuration in the comments box.

Would it also be relevent if the time was also linked to when the 1.5tsi  had the GPF , fitted , which i think was after may 2018 .