How good a car is the 245 Octavia VRS?

7 hours ago, Auric Goldfinger said:

If I remember there has been reports that the Pre FL 230 kicks out around 240/250ish BHP and should see 300ish BHP from a Stage 1 remap.  A Pre FL 230 or the original 245 is better specced up as standard than the FL 245

https://www.onlyrevo.com/product-details/software/skoda/octavia-mk3-2013-/258/stage-1

A pfl230 with Revo stage 1  running V Power rolled 307 at JKM Portsmouth (AKA The heartbreak rollers) because they are very accurate, no pub BS bragging rights from there.

If you need the space buy an Octavia. With or without the electronic LSD I think a mapped Octavia will struggle to put the power down as well as a S3 or Golf R and therefore you can't always use the extra grunt. 

25 minutes ago, themanwithnoaim said:

Mine's in Farnborough if that helps

But it's a bit down on power with only 287bhp but it does have a DSG 7 speed gearbox which adds 21kg to slow it down. Tony you know I love you my fellow 17 plate petrolhead buddy. Tis the season to be jolly la la la la la!:party:

• Haha 1

54 minutes ago, Redboy said:

If you need the space buy an Octavia. With or without the electronic LSD I think a mapped Octavia will struggle to put the power down as well as a S3 or Golf R and therefore you can't always use the extra grunt. 

I need the space Redboy. You try getting drysuits, 4 air cylinders and all the other scuba gear in a golf! With the frequent dive trips in this country we do, the Octavia is perfect. Would still love a Golf R mind.  

Edited by roaddetective

50 minutes ago, roaddetective said:

I need the space Redboy. You try getting drysuits, 4 air cylinders and all the other scuba gear in a golf! With the frequent dive trips in this country we do, the Octavia is perfect. Would still love a Golf R mind.  

Unless you really want the pre-WLTP 245 , I would buy a well-specced FL 230 and map it to stage 1, which is approx 300Bhp, regardless of 220-245 version and sufficiently powerful and economic for everyday use. The difference from standard is noticeable. 

16 minutes ago, Redboy said:

Unless you really want the pre-WLTP 245 , I would buy a well-specced FL 230 and map it to stage 1, which is approx 300Bhp, regardless of 220-245 version and sufficiently powerful and economic for everyday use. The difference from standard is noticeable. 

I am certainly leaning towards that. Now that I know it can map to around 300bhp on standard injectors, turbo etc, it has got my interest. It might not happen for at least a year, but a MK3 FL 230 with good spec seems a great choice. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, roaddetective said:

I am certainly leaning towards that. Now that I know it can map to around 300bhp on standard injectors, turbo etc, it has got my interest. It might not happen for at least a year, but a MK3 FL 230 with good spec seems a great choice. 

I think I've read somewhere that the 245 has a slightly different turbine wheel and manifold to the 230. Either way a good set of michelins make all the difference to putting the power down if you tune it to stage 1

16 hours ago, roaddetective said:

The engines all remap to similar levels, but only the PFL 230 and FL 245 have the VAQ diff, which might be of interest if you're looking for higher power and performance.

1 hour ago, StealthRS245 said:

I think I've read somewhere that the 245 has a slightly different turbine wheel and manifold to the 230. Either way a good set of michelins make all the difference to putting the power down if you tune it to stage 1

I have got Goodyear Eagle F1s on my VRS at the moment, quite impressed with them.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, TimmyB said:

The engines all remap to similar levels, but only the PFL 230 and FL 245 have the VAQ diff, which might be of interest if you're looking for higher power and performance.

On my car, my way of reducing understeer, was to put a Whiteline thicker anti-roll bar on the rear. Gives a little oversteer instead. Don't mind it if the rear kicks out a little. Does the VAQ diff make a big improvement in corner handling then? I know how it works, a bit like the old electronic stability control in other cars when you had to make an emergency steer action.

I'd have to drive a VAQ and non-VAQ car alongside each other to properly tell, but it supposedly greatly reduces understeer. It's not just an emergency thing, but  sends more torque to the outside wheel during cornering etc. If you're going for higher power, I'd suggest getting a car with the VAQ.

6 minutes ago, TimmyB said:

I'd have to drive a VAQ and non-VAQ car alongside each other to properly tell, but it supposedly greatly reduces understeer. It's not just an emergency thing, but  sends more torque to the outside wheel during cornering etc. If you're going for higher power, I'd suggest getting a car with the VAQ.

I have made a note of that TimmyB, so that I don't forget nearer the time I decide to change cars. 

2 hours ago, roaddetective said:

I have got Goodyear Eagle F1s on my VRS at the moment, quite impressed with them.

I have just had fitted some Goodyear F1  Asymmetric 3 on my 230. I've gone from 225/35/19 to 235/35/19. Vast improvement on grip. Although the P Zero's were. very good when warmed up

1 hour ago, Auric Goldfinger said:

I have just had fitted some Goodyear F1  Asymmetric 3 on my 230. I've gone from 225/35/19 to 235/35/19. Vast improvement on grip. Although the P Zero's were. very good when warmed up

Yes Auric, I have been impressed with the Goodyears. What will they eventually be replaced with, probably the same tyre again.

• Like 1

I got a my19 245, never drove another model. been in old square vrs and owned 2 old 2000 octi's. Basically to sum it up, the 245 is a asbo weapon! I cannot drive like a good member of society, just waiting to see myself on youtube - UK bad drivers compilation.

In all honesty i would not get 1, get a nissan micra and save yourself some petrol and money from tickets.

1 minute ago, SME999 said:

I got a my19 245, never drove another model. been in old square vrs and owned 2 old 2000 octi's. Basically to sum it up, the 245 is a asbo weapon! I cannot drive like a good member of society, just waiting to see myself on youtube - UK bad drivers compilation.

In all honesty i would not get 1, get a nissan micra and save yourself some petrol and money from tickets.

I certainly have my fast moments, but as I am a professional driver, I really have to drive sensibly, most of the time! Nissan Micra, never, never ever!!

On 20/12/2018 at 17:27, Redboy said:

1st and 2nd absolutely useless in my VRS at the moment during winter/wet weather

1 minute ago, roaddetective said:

I certainly have my fast moments, but as I am a professional driver, I really have to drive sensibly, most of the time! Nissan Micra, never, never ever!!

I am normally sensible, had rs4 and m3 before, this thing just begs anti social driving. cant put my finger on it...

1 minute ago, SME999 said:

I am normally sensible, had rs4 and m3 before, this thing just begs anti social driving. cant put my finger on it...

Not the finger, but maybe it's the foot on it that's the problem. Lol

4 minutes ago, roaddetective said:

Not the finger, but maybe it's the foot on it that's the problem. Lol

lol, i go out saying i will drive like a adult today, never end up going to plan.. If you drive for a living your dancing with the devil. Just my two cents.. Enjoy either way :-)

Edited by SME999

4 minutes ago, SME999 said:

lol, i go out saying i will drive like a adult today, never end up going to plan.. If you drive for a living your dancing with the devil. Just my two cents.. Enjoy either way :-)

I train experienced drivers for a living, so I "should be responsible". I guess. Got to have some fun though, if you enjoy driving.

1 minute ago, roaddetective said:

I train experienced drivers for a living, so I "should be responsible". I guess. Got to have some fun though, if you enjoy driving.

All the best anyway, Count your smiles when people try and fail at the lights.. Worth it just for that!