Went on my first long(ish) journey today

Beena

2 hours ago, Beena said:

Today I took Big Red on his first long jaunt since I bought him. A 150 mile round trip to Coventry, Northampton and back to Luton. A couple of things impressed me:

1. I averaged 44.5mpg - no doubt helped by around 25 miles of 50mph average speed cameras, but even so I was pleasantly surprised by that as I was doing 75mph the rest of the time and had a fair bit of stop start city driving as well. 

I think you mean you were doing 70mph don't you;)

• Haha 1

It's pretty good on the more scenic roads as well, I had a trip down into the Scottish borders a couple of months back and my passenger remarked that it handled the twisty stuff just as well as his Golf.  He was a bit dubious at first, but after the first few miles he let go of the Jesus handle! :D

Don't expect good fuel economy on that sort of trip though. ;)

Edited by widdershins
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, widdershins said:

It's pretty good on the more scenic roads as well, I had a trip down into the Scottish borders a couple of months back and my passenger remarked that it handled the twisty stuff just as well as his Golf.  He was a bit dubious at first, but after the first few miles he let go of the Jesus handle! :D

Don't expect good fuel economy on that sort of trip though. ;)

I live in a village so get to experience the twisty bits and it is indeed good fun and handles well. 

On 24/12/2018 at 22:30, Beena said:

That’s my thinking as well. 

On 24/12/2018 at 22:04, Urrell said:

75 on the clock will probably be nearer to a true 68 mph

I downloaded a gps app to my phone. It shows very little difference in speed to the speed on the dash, though I can't remember the exact details. I can't be sure of the accuracy of the app, but I decided at the time, a year ago, just to go with the speed on the Yeti instruments. It certainly wasn't a 7mph difference at around 70, but I suppose every car will be slightly different. 

1 hour ago, KenONeill said:

@PeterKn - Don't try this one-up, but the motorway distance markers on the M8 From St James' Interchange on West are correctly distanced.

Down in the South East, we seem to have Km markers on the motorway with distances from Charing Cross (not from end of motorway).   There are also 200m intermediate markers for identification.

By far the easiest to check is indicated 120km as it’s 2km per minute, so should take exactly 60 seconds.   120km/h is 74.56mph so slightly naughty in UK.  

If you would prefer to measure at 70mph, then 2km should take 64 seconds 

5 hours ago, KenONeill said:

@PeterKn - Don't try this one-up, but the motorway distance markers on the M8 From St James' Interchange on West are correctly distanced.

Are all motorway distance markers not accurate?

7 hours ago, KenONeill said:

Thanks for that Ken, I will have a look at that when I've got an interested passenger. 

I find in my car an indicated speed in km/hr of 118 is an exact 70mph with gps.

Similarly 101km/hr is 60mph

85 is 50mph

69 is 40mph

53 is 30mph.

I just remember these and use them as needed.

Eg in a 50 average speed section I set the cruise control to an indicated 85km/hr. At this setting I am slowly passing most traffic but not breaking the speed limit.

I could probably go slightly faster than these speeds and still be within the 10% generally allowed but don't.

This has been consistent across the 3 Yetis I have owned.

I would like to also add how comfortable my Yeti is - done a couple of big journeys now - moved from a Merc company car and was expecting a grin and bear - but i love it  4WD Black edition 140 diesel - sadly not that i would ever travel  to London but the latest scam means i would have to pay to go through London ULEZ     

• Like 1