Waze on Octavia screen

lmp

Hi there, 

have recently got my Octavia, am happy with car, only have issues with multifunctional device and my phone connection. 

I have Samsung Galaxy S9+ phone and as I understand SWING in the car. 

Using genuine Samsung USB cable. 

I can get to work MirrorLink, can run Spotify, Deezer, YouTube and some more media apps on the car screen, but there is no navigation apps here no waze nor Google maps. :worried:

On my phone in car mode both apps is available. 

Any suggestions, any ideas? :happy:

28 minutes ago, john999boy said:

Why not try connecting with Android Auto instead as you can access your music apps via that too.

Play store claims it is not available in my region. :@

14 minutes ago, lmp said:

Play store claims it is not available in my region. :@

Just sideload it :)

https://www.apkmirror.com/apk/google-inc/android-auto/android-auto-3-8-5845-release/

But you got MirrorLink and Android Auto on a Swing? I did not think that was possible.

Are you sure you don't have a MIB2 Bolero?

1 hour ago, Jaco2k said:

Just sideload it :)

https://www.apkmirror.com/apk/google-inc/android-auto/android-auto-3-8-5845-release/

But you got MirrorLink and Android Auto on a Swing? I did not think that was possible.

Are you sure you don't have a MIB2 Bolero?

Didn't try Android Auto yet, will try later. Only don't know how to switch car to try it, as now it connects by Mirrorlink without asking. 

Don't know exactly but dealer said it's Swing. Is there any way to know exactly? Dealers guy told it is easy to get waze on cars screen. But I didn't ask he is talking about Apple or Android. 

2 hours ago, Jaco2k said:

That does look like a Swing - are you sure it supports Android Auto?

It looks like. If I press APP button it asks to connect via Android Auto, Apple blabla (don't remember) or MirrorLink. 

MirrorLink does connect, but there is no navigation apps available on car screen, despite they are on phone. 

I'll try later today, I'm full of hope ;)

6 hours ago, SashaGrace said:

The new Swing radio’s have SmartLink so Android Auto will be there. I’m suprised that AA isn’t supported on the play store in Latvia. Would using a VPN help you download it?

this doesn't help as it's the location of the account that's used - or at least it was last time I tried something like this. With the .apk it's much easier.

- Bret

• Like 1

OK, I can report everything works well, after I installed AA, and managed to connect to phone via AA not ML everything works fine. Only voice stuff is somehow strange. For example if I like it to read my whatsapp message, there is rolling 4 color dots and they are rolling forever. Perhaps there are some localisation issues even if msg is in English, I may guess that's why Google made decision to mark it as not available for my region. 

Phone setup after AA installation was pretty straight forward, just need to run it and accept few permissions. Incar setup is quite easy too, only thing I had to find out is how to change default connection. After several trials it was easy - just needed to press I want to connect to Android Auto when no phone is connected. Otherwise it always went to ML without asking, but on the phone I cant disable ML while there is no car connected. 

Ah yes - VPN dosen't help, have tried. I have read later, some reports that there is need to install fake GPS, run VPN and then create another google account with address located in desired country, after all that it is possible to install AA. Don't know what happens later when switching back to "normal life" :D 

Thanks guys and girls! B)

• 2 years later...

I know this is a very old post, but just in case someone goes looking, @brettikivi is correct; Google "Play" uses the location (address) of the Google account that is logged in to an Android phone (you can have more than one), not the physical location of the device, nor the logical location (VPN).

I have Google accounts based in both the US and Spain. (I'm from the US originally; have lived in Spain for a dozen years). I switch accounts inside the Play app when I need something that is in one or the other country Google app store, but isn't global.
Per https://support.google.com/googleplay/answer/7431675 you can choose your Google Play country .. but only if you have a payment method in that country :-(

On 26/12/2018 at 20:41, brettikivi said:

this doesn't help as it's the location of the account that's used - or at least it was last time I tried something like this. With the .apk it's much easier.

- Bret