Battery Replacement experience VAG petrol with stop start

gav_is_con

Not sure where to post this, this looked like the best place. 

We own a Seat Leon in the family as well as 2 Skodas. It’s a 5p new shape 2013+ 63 plate 1.2 SE technology petrol. 

Purchased in summer 18 used approved. 32k approx miles. 

Been on holiday for under a week and used the car for a local run on the evening before the battery incident. Ran a little rough on startup. But drove ok never the less.

Friday morning OH gets about 3 miles from home on way to work. Car cuts out and cannot be started. Warning on dash related to electrics, sorry don’t remember specifics. 

We had 12 months roadside with the car. 1.5 hours later AA/VW Assist arrive and jump start car with leads. Requested to move to a safe place and leave running. Car was moved but turned off in error. Won’t start again. 

Patrol checked and the alternator supplying correct output. Battery is showing 2v only. 

Recommemded replacement of EFB/AGM battery as it’s stop/start. Genuine replacement £146 fitted and coded. Car is perfect now. Cleared errors from car both related to starting/charging.

Used car Saturday and runs fine too. 

I did shop around and halfrauds sold it at trade £150 fitted with 4 year warranty, but they said if it had a negative terminal chip they could not code to car. I believe it has that chip. Also confirmed by the patrol. 

I could buy from TPS for £150 and fit, I don’t have the ability or knowledge to code.  

Stop/start painted in a bad light for batteries. I read up since and won’t be using it as much. Turn off on the dash possible. Car only does local runs and gets stuck in traffic a lot. 

Old battery made in Spain so assumed original 5 years old. New one similar part number and look. Exide/Varta came off/on so a decent make. 

Patrol says they are replacing loads of these stop start ones. Maybe a bad batch. An A6 had one replaced only a year old. 

They carry a good stock in the van thankfully. 

So whilst I am happy to replace my Octy 2 and superb batteries for about £50 with no coding. It seems out of reach and expensive for the modern motor for me. 

Unfortunately my used warranty does not extend to batteries. 

Hope it helps people with similar cars on here 

Today having read up on a Golf forum recently, disconnected the battery monitor plug. Did the trick, as stop/start is disabled. 

Our car looks identical to this other persons picture. 

We dont need the stop/start button to be pressed to disable everytime 

B1CFEB9E-81AE-4639-B496-AC2963D9E238.jpeg