Help a new 2011 vrs owner

GT0161

7 minutes ago, Skoffski said:

??

So have you had no Yellow Oil Can light or Low Oil Warning, & no Red Oil Can light or Low Oil Pressure Warning?

?

Why did you never dip the oil before now after having posted here about remapping etc and knowing the potential issues?

I always fitted a Mahle Oil Filter, 5w 40 FS oil to the top of the cross hatch area, just above when dipped cold, and then took oil burners for a long slow warm up then thrashed them for a good while.   That was after new spark plugs fitted and with 99 octane fuel.

It was amazing how many cars that had previously been oil users are not when they get a good Italian Tune up.

Problem is when they are a gubbed engine, but even then they can last a long time. 

Never assume what others use to do Oil & Filter changes, if you do not see what is used you might be very wrong.

No lights came up in dash i have dipped today randomly as im looking to book in a remap but with the oil issue im holding out. 

What is a gubbed engine? 

I use 99 momentum 

i have changed plugs to the denso’s 

i will be dropping the sump and changing oil and filter.

• Like 1

Gubbed is an engine beyond help, or almost.

See how yours is with the 5w 40 FS / VW502 00 in.    If you do short cold start journeys lots, so under 10 miles it might well use oil, see just how much is uses now.

Even if your engine turns out OK do not get a REVO remap...

http://onlyrevo.com/support/sales/14tsi-twincharger-engine-issues

Edited by Skoffski
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, Skoffski said:

Gubbed is an engine beyond help, or almost.

See how yours is with the 5w 40 FS / VW502 00 in.    If you do short cold start journeys lots, so under 10 miles it might well use oil, see just how much is uses now.

Even if your engine turns out OK do not get a REVO remap...

http://onlyrevo.com/support/sales/14tsi-twincharger-engine-issues

I do mainly very short cold start journeys to work and back then an average of 100miles on a weekend will see how it goes for now. 

I was looking at the SA tuning boxes £400 or an APR £489 but u cannot have switchable maps because i do not have cruise control stalks 

Did you dip the engine at operating temp, and also when cold?

?

How much oil have you added. ?

No oil on the bottom orange ball is over 1.5 litres short of oil from 3.6 litres.

No wonder it would smell.

Do not drop the sump.  Remove the Sump Plug.  or suck out the oil via the dipstick tube and then remove the sump plug, any oil and fit the new oil filter.

'Properly fitted, no rubber ring left on...'

Edited by Skoffski

6 minutes ago, Skoffski said:

Did you dip the engine at operating temp, and also when cold?

?

How much oil have you added. ?

No oil on the bottom orange ball is over 1.5 litres short of oil from 3.6 litres.

No wonder it would smell.

Do not drop the sump.  Remove the Sump Plug.  or suck out the oil via the dipstick tube and then remove the sump plug, any oil and fit the new oil filter.

'Properly fitted, no rubber ring left on...'

I dipped at operating temperature

i have added 1ltr of oil 

by dropping the sump i meant the plug. 

Will fit filter without the o ring as suggested too. 

1 Litre is not enough oil if the oil cold is at the bottom orange ball.  So you have not enough oil in.

Maybe the mods can put your 2 threads together.

You are getting good advice from experienced members on the other thread.

Edited by Skoffski
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Skoffski said:

1 Litre is not enough oil if the oil cold is at the bottom orange ball.  So you have not enough oil in.

I dipped at 90 degrees temp ? Should u fill to top of cross hatch area when hot? 

Edited by GT0161
Spelling
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Skoffski said:

Yes. 

Then when it is cold see where it is.

It should be on the flat bit above the Cross Hatch.

Will do that tomorrow and post my result thank you for your help skoffski

@RAPTURE

Are you an Employee at a Main Dealership?

Did you never think, oh sh!te,  that is a potential issue.  More than 20% of these engines fail?

Half way down the dip stick is too low in a 1.4 TSI / TFSI 132-136kw Twincharger that VW / Skoda / SEAT / Audi give the oil capacity as 3.6 litres.

Which is why some technicians or owners with a clue and experience put in 3.9 or 4 litres of VW502 00.

1 litre low when the oil capacity officially is 3.6 litres is more than 25% low. 

That is important with a engine that is getting 180 ps from 1,390cc and has some sh-1te components and software.

Less oil which is a coolant and lubricant. 

Long Life crappy oil, Super unleaded petrol with detergents, Bore Wash and WTF were VW thinking with 3.6 litre oil capacity, and a crap dipstick and oil sensors that can have the oil more than **1.5 litre** low and no Low Oil or Low Oil Pressure light showing. 

& you open the bonnet for 30 seconds, do nothing and if there was a warning light it goes out for the next 60 miles.

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/230124-low-oil-warning

w960_3927-184.png.f6438923d2fbc7549b92817bdbfa6a2f.png.7666e3c402a00b91816ff12f6dc15fe5.png

59fc1f3e14a29_SkodaFabiaengineoilcapacities.PNG.a7f691f357f02cfe9ea07e59c3b0eff3.PNG.54a16cf987fd25dffffc2ecb4eb342d1 (1).PNG

Edited by Skoffski

@OzFabia

I think it is nonsense unless you did the oil change or watched it done and afterwards you know there is at least 3.6 litres in and that is where it is with a 'at Operating Temperature Check', so above 80*oC Oil after 'a few minutes' when stopped on the flat.

& higher than that once the engine has been sitting and stone cold.

If you know there is the correct quantity of oil and it is on the cross hatch then good.  IME it is not 3.6 litres when it is half way down the 'Area B'.

Drain off or suction off engine oil.doc

Edited by Skoffski
  • Like 1

Ok so i did a cold dip earlier on today then a warm dip and it sropped so i topped up matbe a little too much im not very good at these things if i come across a bit thick lol 

will check once every week from now on and post results 

8573E91E-8C45-4104-8FBF-EA697591CD32.jpeg

35BAFA04-D324-49EC-8B6C-7758A2EA5F53.jpeg

450CFA52-D3A2-434D-B15F-3ADA7ADF2125.jpeg

• Like 1

Good.

If you have 'Oil Temp' enabled, keep an eye on it and how long you drive until an indicated 50*oC, then till it comes up to 80*oC then 92*oC or so with easy driving.

The higher oil level helps it run cooler, and when it gets up above 100*oC the temp back down sooner as you slow down.

Chill and don't worry, maybe dip it cold occasionally for the next few tank fills of fuel.

Check tomorrow where it is before you start the engine if the car is on the flat.

When i changed a Twincharger from 5w 30 FS LL to 5w 40 FS i found the engine oil was showing the indicated temp a few degrees lower on the same run on the same road at the same speeds.

I tried that quite often with different cars / engines over a few years.

maxresdefault.jpg.54dbc8ca2d75c4a743d2d071518b2119 (1).jpg

Edited by Skoffski

On 13/02/2019 at 08:32, Skoffski said:

@RAPTURE

Are you an Employee at a Main Dealership?

Did you never think, oh sh!te,  that is a potential issue.  More than 20% of these engines fail?

Half way down the dip stick is too low in a 1.4 TSI / TFSI 132-136kw Twincharger that VW / Skoda / SEAT / Audi give the oil capacity as 3.6 litres.

Which is why some technicians or owners with a clue and experience put in 3.9 or 4 litres of VW502 00.

1 litre low when the oil capacity officially is 3.6 litres is more than 25% low. 

That is important with a engine that is getting 180 ps from 1,390cc and has some sh-1te components and software.

Less oil which is a coolant and lubricant. 

Long Life crappy oil, Super unleaded petrol with detergents, Bore Wash and WTF were VW thinking with 3.6 litre oil capacity, and a crap dipstick and oil sensors that can have the oil more than **1.5 litre** low and no Low Oil or Low Oil Pressure light showing. 

& you open the bonnet for 30 seconds, do nothing and if there was a warning light it goes out for the next 60 miles.

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/230124-low-oil-warning

w960_3927-184.png.f6438923d2fbc7549b92817bdbfa6a2f.png.7666e3c402a00b91816ff12f6dc15fe5.png

59fc1f3e14a29_SkodaFabiaengineoilcapacities.PNG.a7f691f357f02cfe9ea07e59c3b0eff3.PNG.54a16cf987fd25dffffc2ecb4eb342d1 (1).PNG

Lol WTF, no I have just been a CNC Engineer for the past 25 years and am describing how my engine behaves and how others online have said there's have behaved.  Maybe look in the Fabia mk1 section, I owned a Fabia VRS Mk1 for 6 years and was active on here.  I own a friggin car manual thanks m8.  I feel insulted.

Edited by RAPTURE
  • Haha 1

@RAPTURE   Do you have a Mk2 Fabia vRS then? 

What is it a CAVE or CTHE engine?   

EDIT.  Sorry, i see what you are saying, you have a Mk1 Fabia vRS Diesel.  

I was just asking were you see these Twincharger oil levels that are mostly half way down the dipsticks. 

Is it friends or customers cars or just ones you check at sales / auctions etc?

You do know the failure rate i take it of the 1,800 CAVE Engine Fabia that were registered in the UK, and even replaced engines that failed. 

Also failures of CTHE engines.

Then similar in the other Models with the 1.4TSI /TFSI 132-136kw Twinchargers.

I see many engines with the oil half way down the Area B.   That is an issue sadly if the level does not stay there for a few thousand miles of just normal driving.

Edited by Skoffski

As stated in my post above I own a Seat Ibiza Cupra 6j 180ps twincharger CAVE 2011 plate and have done just over 3k miles in her now, currently at 35k miles.  You can see my post's on Seat forum Ibiza Mk5 section, my name is Glove on there.  Its just personal experience.  If I top mine up it just settles to half way down the stick and sits there, others on I think was the Scirocco forums say the same thing for there twinchargers.  I guess I should change my sig on here :), my bad.

Edited by RAPTURE
  • Like 1

I see your post now about your car, missed that it was you that posted that.

Many forums & threads say many things.  Sadly that has been the problem, lots follow VW Advice.

?

Do you fill with 3.6 litres from having done an oil and filter change?

I do not understand what you mean by topping it up and it settles half way down the dipstick.

?

Do you mean you put in 3.6 litres of fresh oil and that is where it is on the dipstick?

Edited by Skoffski

The oil was changed by the garage I bought it from but I soon noticed it was drinking the stuff.  It literally drank 2 litres in 1k miles which is when I decided to have the plugs and coils changed.  This did help a little but  it is only after I had topped up about another half a litre or 5w/40 and put the computer on standard service interval it has literally stopped using oil now and just sits at about half way down the stick.  So most of the original oil got burned and then It settled down with the 5w/40 is what it seems like.  This is in the cold weather doing far too many short distances than I would like    Service time is in about another 4k miles and I will do the oil and filter myself filling it with Castrol edge 5w/40 so will let you know how I get on.  And no i do not work for Castrol either :D

Edited by RAPTURE
  • Like 1

My recommendation from having helped owners of Cupra / Bolonga Twinchargers and Polo GTI owners as well is put in 3.9 litres of 5w 40 FS.

Give the Castrol FS a swerve even when it is 5w 40 FS to VW502. 

Ignore as you wish.  I would avoid the Silver VW / Audi Oil filters as well. 

Thanks for the advice, did not know about the oil filter, maybe a Mahle one any good?.  I may give that oil a shot, also I hear good things about Motul oil for our engines, can confirm?.  Cheers.