Mk3 coolant nightmare!

Dear Forum members,

Interesting fault. 2014 Greenline estate, Diesel, 95k on the clock. Would like to know if anyone has reported or had a similar fault repaired.

Fault is that the car is drinking coolant, cheap and expensive fluid. In a 2 week period of 500 miles it will drink a tank of coolant.

The car has now been struggling to start on a cold start.

Car has been to 2 independent garages and I have now escalated to Skoda service garage, who have noticed the fault however can’t find the cause. (Haven’t started to strip the car down yet)

car has passed all pressure tests, coolant has been flushed in all compartments via Skoda diagnostics and then re-filled. Thought it could of been an air lock. Skoda staff test drive over 2 days noticed no loss of fluid.

However since this, the engine oil is at a lower temperature since a 200 mile test drive and has loss of fluid, so issue still remains. The car starting on cold has now improved, but have noticed out of 3 drives, 1 was slightly longer than it should of been. Stop start is fine, new glow plugs too.

No white smoke coming out, dry exhaust (Skoda garage - had another Octavia with similar issue, edc value?, coolant was at exhaust end)

would really appreciate any advice now before Skoda may charge me the cost of a new car to fix my current one!

any questions, please fire over, I’m a layman but will do my best!

cheers

So, Skoda flushed the whole coolant system with diagnostics, to empty and re-fill compartments. Skoda also found no leaks and pressure was fine.

And after 215 miles, the problem has come back.

However, now even before the coolant dash board warn my glow plug light came on at 200 miles, 215 miles for the coolant.

so I presume the issue is relating to the engine now - back to Skoda Monday!

I did see a car once that had a slight knackered engine mount and engine moved more than it should.  On hard acceleration the engine was moving an a small slit in a pipe opened and water would squirt out but wouldnt under easy driving.

I got similar problems with my car and the shop have tested the system and all is fine but i my self think it is the EGR cooler that is the big issue. 

Also got a fault code on one glow plug this summer but that have not bean an issue now and have not come back? (It was during 2 month the issue appeared) 

Also it is hard to start when its cold but if i us the Wabasto Diesel warmer this is not an issue.

But i think all are hanging together and in the end i think it is the EGR cooler that´s the problem. 

What do you think? 

My car is a 1,6 TDI from 2014 4x4 and I have driven it for about 190000km and before 95000km the water pump past away so i got that under warranty also a service commitment was on the car that needed to be fixed (timing belt and tensioning roller, etc.) was replaced this was on 100000km 

I drive about 3500km per year and most long drive to and from work.

Hope for some tips and if some one got a solution or know what it can be before i take it to the shop for a new round.

Thanks all, still no news after 3 nights at Skoda.

EGR cooler has been come back working, was the 2nd thing they checked after leaks and pressure test.

turns out another Octavia has come in with similar traits..

hope it gets fixed soon..will keep all updated.

So after racking up a huge service investigation. It has lead to no where.

skoda dealership state that I’m 1 in over a million where they can’t locate the cause..

a 4 year old car, 3 years under warranty, 95k on the clock..

fail. 

Ive decided to stop further investigation as if it needs a new engine (being a layman) then that’s a £5k alone..and it’s just taking up bill after bill.

shame, I bought a Skoda due to reading it’s eco usage, longevity. That’s all changed now...Shame.

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, StemcellRob said:

So after racking up a huge service investigation. It has lead to no where.

skoda dealership state that I’m 1 in over a million where they can’t locate the cause..

a 4 year old car, 3 years under warranty, 95k on the clock..

fail. 

Ive decided to stop further investigation as if it needs a new engine (being a layman) then that’s a £5k alone..and it’s just taking up bill after bill.

shame, I bought a Skoda due to reading it’s eco usage, longevity. That’s all changed now...Shame.

You need to take it elsewhere....

Embarrassing for a  Skoda dealer to say “we can’t find the reason”.

Edited by classic
  • Like 1

I’m sure they can find the reason, but normal practice is look at the diagnostic report, then look at paperwork from other experiences and suggested tests and low value part change..then plus all the labour.

as far as I’m aware, no parts have been changed, only tests and fluid top ups.

The car has been with Skoda for 5 nights..

now they say I need to do cylinder test as they thought it already had that test! It could even pass! Then i’m money down and then we’ll have to go deeper into the engine..again, racking up those fees.

i have a warranty however it doesn’t payout on investigation..only when a part is required. 

Sadly the car garage won’t know the cause of the fault, under my expense.

Edited by StemcellRob

Just now, classic said:

You need to take it elsewhere....

I’d be embarrassed as a Skoda dealer to say “we can’t find the reason”.

I would do the same, just because Skoda cannot find the issue doesn't mean someone else wont.

I would be seeking some form of compensation or refund from the Skoda garage if they are just letting you drive off still with the fault.

6 hours ago, StemcellRob said:

..............i have a warranty however it doesn’t payout on investigation..only when a part is required..........

On what planet does a warranty NOT cover the investigations into the cause of a clear issue?

CLEARLY you car has a problem, and if the manufacturer's trained technicians cannot identify the cause, that should NOT be at your own cost.

If I were you, I'd be making VERY clear to the garage that you won't be paying them a cent, because  your car has a clear issue, and it's covered under warranty.
And if they refuse to assist you, take them to whatever the small claims/consumer affairs department is in your country... because I'm pretty sure you would have one.

Edited by spinifex

On 25/01/2019 at 06:24, StemcellRob said:

........turns out another Octavia has come in with similar traits....

7 hours ago, StemcellRob said:

...............skoda dealership state that I’m 1 in over a million where they can’t locate the cause.....

So that's 2 in a million.... the odds are slowly stacking against the dealership mate.... stand your ground... DON'T pay out of your own pocket.
There is clealy an issue that is NOT your fault.
These engines are KNOWN for failing waterpumps.... not sure how the exhaust isn't showing up burnt coolant, but something is definitely not right with your engine.

28 minutes ago, spinifex said:

So that's 2 in a million.... the odds are slowly stacking against the dealership mate.... stand your ground... DON'T pay out of your own pocket.
There is clealy an issue that is NOT your fault.
These engines are KNOWN for failing waterpumps.... not sure how the exhaust isn't showing up burnt coolant, but something is definitely not right with your engine.

Thanks,

i should state that I bought the car from another dealership with a third party warranty. Will take a read if the smaller print as I head to Skoda.

i found an old post from 2016 which has all the traits of my fault. Great read, and I feel sorry for the service salesman tomorrow when I pick up on Skoda’s failings, They should be very embarrassed.

4 minutes ago, StemcellRob said:

..........should state that I bought the car from another dealership with a third party warranty....

ahhh... well that's a totally different story then!

You MAY find you're not covered at all, in which case the question of cost is a sore point.

BUT..... as mentioned, the petrol series of engines are notorious for failed waterpumps and oil mixing with coolant (I've suffered this myself, in week 2 of ownership from brand new)
I'm not sure on the diesels, but as  you've found, it seems pretty common too.
So yes - embarrassing that the dealership hasn't yet identified a cause, when there's so much anecdotal evidence around...... but hey, your car may be something entirely different and new.

Hope you get it sorted soon mate. It's a shame, as these cars are pretty awesome.

11 hours ago, spinifex said:

BUT..... as mentioned, the petrol series of engines are notorious for failed waterpumps and oil mixing with coolant (I've suffered this myself, in week 2 of ownership from brand new)

There is a thread on waterpump failures for MK3 diesels (not sure if the Greenline has the affected engine type but...)

Skoda Globally only sold around 1 million cars a year in the past 3 years. Or produced and delivered, sold lots to themselves.

So not that many Euro 6 TDI's. 

I take it if there are so few, with only a few hundred thousand Euro 6 TDI's then Skoda Dealerships are diagnosing correctly almost all of them.

Millions of the same engines if you include them in VW's, Audi, & SEAT.  Sadly many Factory Trained Technicians working on those have all the gear and little idea 

but have Service Managers that can Bull SH!t customers.

On 26/01/2019 at 00:32, spinifex said:

ahhh... well that's a totally different story then!

You MAY find you're not covered at all, in which case the question of cost is a sore point.

So yes - embarrassing that the dealership hasn't yet identified a cause, when there's so much anecdotal evidence around...... but hey, your car may be something entirely different and new.

Hope you get it sorted soon mate. It's a shame, as these cars are pretty awesome.

I currently have the oil/coolant mix with my petrol VRS and as it had an oil cooler replaced 2 years ago under warranty, Skoda Technical are refusing to replace it again. The Skoda garage were apparently asked to check the head gasket, but Skoda Technical refused them to remove the head. Not 100% sure the full truth behind what I was told by the dealers, but in the end all they were "Allowed" to do was flush the coolant for a 2nd time (Done once already by another garage).

The car goes in next Monday to the 3rd Skoda garage for diagnosis and hopefully repair (Not very professional service from last 2 garages). Skoda UK are involved and are liaising with each garage.

So even with all the details to hand Skoda dealers and Skoda Technical will not replace the oil cooler again which is a common fault on these engines it appears.

• 2 weeks later...

Why don't they just put tracer dye in the coolant,and then search with UV light to find out where it's escaping. If the cars not bellowing out clouds of steam from Exhaust or the expansion tank cap is highly pressurised after cooled down then leak is unlikely internal. I'd put my faith in a good Vag independent, they have all the diagnostic tools and equipment to work on these.

• 3 months later...

Hi, I know this is 6 months ago. But I’ve had my Octavia 2013 2.0 tdi is having the same issue. And I’ve had the head gasket. Expansion bottle. EGR cooler all done. After investigating I’ve found this engine is common for this but it could be an air lock. I really like my car but it may have to go. It’s drinking coolant. Water anything. Oh it has had the water pump done by Skoda. Just wish they’d admit fault. And it’s 3 in a million now 😂

The coolant is going somewhere so without any obvious drips it could be getting burned via the cylinders but that would cause steam or its leaking onto warm parts and evaporaring.

I like the idea of  a tracer dye though and using a uv lamp.

Some time ago i had the similar issue with 1.25litre fiesta, loosing coolant and not starting easily.  This turned out to be a leakiing core plug on the top of the engine which meant coolant was running into the spark plug wells. Once warmed up it evaporated and the engine ran fine. I wonder if you have a similar leak onto an electrical part that appears to improve once the engine warms up and evaporates the leak ( appreciate this wont be the plugs on a diesel).

I do wonder if sometimes main dealers rely too much on "diagnostics" rather than digging around with an inspection lamp and checking the bits wher the coolant  flows .

I remember an old BMW that lost coolant due to a failing cabin heater matrix and that showed up by a wet carpet.

Hope you get it sorted

Hi 3rd Octavia,

oddly I am having trouble starting. But I’m change my expansion tank as I had a G13 which broke and bought a G12 which under neath has water leaking out of it. So I’ve got another G13 returning onto it. I have been told an airlock could be pushing out the coolant as earlier I had a strong smell of coolant. But it’s going in next Wednesday i wait with baited breath 

• 1 year later...
On 17/01/2019 at 13:30, ScoutCJB said:

I did see a car once that had a slight knackered engine mount and engine moved more than it should.  On hard acceleration the engine was moving an a small slit in a pipe opened and water would squirt out but wouldnt under easy driving.

Ooh I hate nasty little problems like this. Everyone scratching their heads for ages until finally the diagnosis is made which no-one could have ever thought of. Cars are sent to try us eh?! :D