TPMS Retrofit

Hi guys,

Ive had a good search about regarding this topic and found plenty of information. That being said, I don't trust my wiring skills enough to carry out the work myself. 

Can anyone recommend a company in the East Midlands that would entertain such a thing, without a puzzled face, whilst stating: "It can't be done!"? 

Alternatively is there anyone who's done this themselves who would be willing to fit it to another car? I'll pay for your time of course! 

Thanks in advance. 

I don't have the system fitted to my vehicle, however, my understanding of the TPMS system as fitted to the Octavia is that is based on readings taken from the wheels rotation, and the system indicates an issue if any of the wheels/tyres seem smaller than the rest, which may be an under inflated tyre, so not that accurate.

There are a number of aftermarket systems (TyrePal, Steelmate) available which you can transfer from vehicle to vehicle.  These systems actually indicate the pressure (even temperature) of each individual tyre.  Of the three punctures I have suffered over the last 8 years or so, two were picked up by the aftemarket TPMS.  The third puncture was not leaking air, so could not be detected by the sensors.

I still check and top up my tyres on a monthly basis, and so far the readings from the TPMS and my tyre inflator correspond.

If you decide to fit an aftermarket system, I would suggest applying copperease, or something similar, to the tyre valves to prevent the sensors 'sticking' to them.

@Fin69 - you can also retrofit genuine VAG pressure sensors and a control module. This way the pressures and warnings are shown on the maxidot.

Might be helpful if the OP tells us exactly what they are planning to fit and to which car :)

I got every extra on my L&K except this because I'd read it's useful in a blowout but a pita a lot of other times with false readings and slow punctures where it simply doesn't pick it up cos it's losing air too slow. If it had been like a renault type system of the time which sensed actual tyre pressure I'd have had it in a heartbeat.

3 hours ago, langers2k said:

@Fin69 - you can also retrofit genuine VAG pressure sensors and a control module. This way the pressures and warnings are shown on the maxidot.

Might be helpful if the OP tells us exactly what they are planning to fit and to which car :)

Thanks, Langers.  Happy with all of above.

I just thought I would give the OP an alternative option, rather than go down a possible expensive route going through a garage and whatever.

11 hours ago, langers2k said:

Apologies! 

I was looking to install the basic OE system that uses the ABS to detect a difference in the rotational size of the wheels. The switch and wiring loom can be had for a shade under £25.

From what I understand its 4 wires. One is earth, one is for illumination, and for power and one goes off to the ABS pump. I'm happy putting pre-crimped wires in multiplugs, as is the case with the ABS pump wire, but splicing into the wiring for the ESP switch is where I think I'll come a cropper (my soldering was never the best!). 

The car I'd be fitting it to is a 2007 Scout. I do have Maxidot, but I wasn't aware of it being sophisticated enough on the pre-FL cars to show tyre pressure values from the direct monitoring system. 

Ive looked at the aftermarket systems, such as Tyrepal, and while perfectly suitable, I don't want to clutter up my dashboard too much, as I've already got a dashcam installed and a phone mount for using Android Auto via the Aux input in the jumbo box. That's just me being fussy I guess. 

Most kits shouldn't need any soldering or splicing. Taking this kit as an example: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/263004775932

You need to de-pin 3 wires on the ESP connector and slot them into the provided black 3 pin connector.

The three crimped wires (black/blue/brown) on the provided loom should then slot into the gaps you made on the ESP connector.

You're completely correct that a pre-FL maxidot can't display TPMS info :)

So if myself or the OP fit that kit to a pre FL Octavia with maxidot will the display then show the TPS warnings?

Will recoding be needed?

Assuming the ABS module supports TPMS, you can turn it on via coding but you'll need to use VCDS to 'set' the tyre pressures each time.

I'd expect it to turn the TPMS light on in the cluster regardless of if it's maxidot or not. The maxidot might also show a 'check tyre pressure' warning but won't narrow it down to a particular tyre.

The 'set' button is just an easier way to reset the TPMS system after checking/adjusting pressures :)

I have the tpms fitted from the factory in my pre-fl elegance. It also has factory fitted maxidot.

No warning shows in the maxidot, nor is there any option in the maxidot menu to reset the pressures etc.

If the system is activated then it brings up the orange light in the cluster. You have no indication which tyre is the issue so you have to check them all.

The light will stay on even after restarting the car until you clear it by pressing the button.

Got it!

I did not know there was an orange light for that in the cluster, I will have a look next time I turn on the ignition or perhaps it will only do the self check if its coded.

I will have a look on VCDS to see if there are coding options for it in the ABS controller, looks to be a worthwhile retro-fit and thanks for the Ebay link which has been bookmarked.

What does resetting the system or resetting the pressures mean other than pressing the button, does it then measure the wheel revolutions for a while to use them as the new datum setting?

Or perhaps just to turn out the light?

6 hours ago, langers2k said:

Most kits shouldn't need any soldering or splicing. Taking this kit as an example: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/263004775932

You need to de-pin 3 wires on the ESP connector and slot them into the provided black 3 pin connector.

The three crimped wires (black/blue/brown) on the provided loom should then slot into the gaps you made on the ESP connector.

You're completely correct that a pre-FL maxidot can't display TPMS info :)  

That's the exact kit I was after!

By the sounds it wouldnt be too bad to do! The de-pinning the ABS multiplug will likely be the hardest part (by all accounts). 

Are there any known ABS pump part numbers that are compatible or ones that aren't. I can do a quick scan with Carista to get my part number, to see if it's worth proceeding further. 

I'm being presumptious that my Scout will be compatible. I thought because it has 'Hill Hold' it should be able cope with indirect TPMS. 

1 minute ago, J.R. said:

What does resetting the system or resetting the pressures mean other than pressing the button, does it then measure the wheel revolutions for a while to use them as the new datum setting?

Or perhaps just to turn out the light?

I would presume it has to find a baseline for its settings. Going off direct TPMS systems they need time to calibrate by driving the car for so long.

Hmm, glad I went down the aftermarket route. :D

This is my dashcam (behind rear view mirror), TPMS, phone holder (it's located in the CD slot), Tomtom (dash top cubby) and Parrot phone set up in my Scout

20190115_123110.jpg

12 minutes ago, Nuclear_Jules said:

What module do you need to display tyre pressure in the maxidot?

I used 3AA 907 273 D and 3AA 907 275 B sensors. If I recall, these should be black as orange ones need programming before they can be used.

You need a maxidot cluster running SW:06xx and a gateway with extended CAN support.

• 1 month later...

I couldn't find it described, so maybe useful.
Indirect TPMS without HW button, control and reset over MaxiDot menu:

Assuming
Octavia Mk II. FL MY2011>, MaxiDot, MK60EC1, VCDS.

Make a full autoscan and save the log file.
Open ABS (03), Coding (Long Coding Helper pops up)
1. Select b
yte 16, bit 2. "Tire Pressure Monitoring (TPMS/PR-7K6) installed", set to 1 (checked)
2. Select byte 17, bit 2. "Tire Pressure Monitoring (TPMS/PR-7K6) via Instrument Cluster (MY2011+)", set to 1 (checked)
Save coding, close controller.

Open CAN Gateway (19)
Open Installation List
Find 4C  "Tire Pressure II", set checkbox to 1 (installed)  (this is a virtual controller, so there is no hardware behind it)
Save updated installation list, close window.
Stay at the Gateway, clear error codes. ( An error appears there: Control Module Incorrectly Coded)
Close controller, set ignition OFF, wait a few seconds and turn ignition ON.
Check MaxiDot. If coding was OK, then the new menu item appears on the display.
Check error codes (ABS, Gateway, Instruments). If there is an error code: interpret it and clear or solve it.
Close the car.

• Like 1