Kodiaq Kessy, one metal, one plastic :(

Iamholam

New car day! First question as it's too dark outside now. 

You get one fancy metal key and one dull plastic key. Does anyone have the part numbers for the chrome bits to make both the same?

You can get the bottoms at a few places but no idea about tops although my chrome one is a right mess already in just over a year !! 

I’ve had other similar keys and not been this bad 

image.jpg

image.jpg

13 hours ago, WiggosSideburns said:

If you ask me, perfect to tell his and hers apart.

Of course, which way round is dependant on whose car it is...

It does help to differentiate but I have never had any problems in the past! (Probably because they are attached to other keys!)

To me it is a very obvious attempt at cutting a cost which is disappointing particularly at hand over of a new car.

If I’d just paid £150k for a new Ferrari or something, then yes - I’d agree with you.

There are still cars in the same price bracket as the Kodiaq where you only get one remote key, and the spare is just a normal key. So personally I don’t feel too ripped off. Plus, the second key is a spare key for us and has never been used; we just use the one key between us.

I quite like the “spare” key being significantly smaller and less bling. It fits in my pocket much more easily. So much so that I use that as the main key. I don’t really need a car key to be a massive bling object - plenty of better things I’d rather Skoda spent my money on. 

My main (chrome) and single spare (all black) are the same size...

20190120_193238.thumb.jpg.b56e0073b3c03baf2906ec646b5a7d4f.jpg

I wonder if the third key you get through the 'Personalisation of drive mode select' factory option gets a different sized key?

9 hours ago, WiggosSideburns said:

If I’d just paid £150k for a new Ferrari or something, then yes - I’d agree with you.

There are still cars in the same price bracket as the Kodiaq where you only get one remote key, and the spare is just a normal key. So personally I don’t feel too ripped off. Plus, the second key is a spare key for us and has never been used; we just use the one key between us.

If I had just paid £150k for a Ferrari I would probably be ok with it! No one else would be allowed to drive it so there would be no point for another key! However the Kodiaq is a family cwr and as such I would expect 2 fully functioning keys as it will be regularly used by two people driving.

I wouldn't say the cost of the Kodiaq is cheap and therefore wouldn't expect the keys to be different. If you have had cars where you only get one key let me know as that would definitely be a car I would need to avoid!

Anyway it was really just an observation. In the end my wife is really not bothered but would have liked skoda to go the extra mile by providing matching keys.

31 minutes ago, silver1011 said:

I wonder if the third key you get through the 'Personalisation of drive mode select' factory option gets a different sized key?

Nope.

From April 2017.

Shiny one for me.

No.2 for her but she’s never driven it.

No.3 for him or the garage mechanic.

3 named driver settings plus Guest on dash, which say Hello when you switch on.

Works a treat.

ps - big shiny dog tags have been removed - I use piece of soft lanyard material so it fits very easily in my pocket. 2 and 3 use different soft tags. Never attached to anything else. I always spread the risk of losing 1 key at a time.

I cringe at folks (sorry - usually wimmin) who carry a big bunch of keys like they own Alcatraz.

CA478876-CA53-4320-B3FC-80E856FBCC3D.jpeg

Edited by BoxerBoy
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, BoxerBoy said:

I cringe at folks (sorry - usually wimmin) who carry a big bunch of keys like they own Alcatraz.

Nice one and well observed......you often see this trait in the supermarket when they hand the cashier their 'collection' so the Clubcard can be scanned, I bet the staff love 'em!

7 hours ago, silver1011 said:

There were a few complaints years ago of worn ignition barrels.

Yes - it was an issue on a number of BMW's (7 and 5 series in my experience). It would manifest itself by all sorts of weird electrical and message gremlins - not unlike what some of us Superb 2 owners find when our car batteries are on the way out.

• Like 1

On 20/01/2019 at 19:43, silver1011 said:

Is ‘Personalisation of driver mode select’ hardware add, our just software that can be activated just with 2 kessy?

12 hours ago, ZacDaMan72 said:

Affirmative.

You ordered yours already with this option I suppose, since you have 3 keys. Do you have memory seats? If not, do you have dipping mirror on passenger side when reversing? Thanks for the info.

5 minutes ago, RedleH said:

You ordered yours already with this option I suppose, since you have 3 keys. Do you have memory seats? If not, do you have dipping mirror on passenger side when reversing? Thanks for the info.

Yes to both.

Found the forum thread on how to enable personalisation: http://forum.obdeleven.com/thread/2161/enable-personalization

Edited by ZacDaMan72

On 19/01/2019 at 18:06, Iamholam said:

New car day! First question as it's too dark outside now. 

You get one fancy metal key and one dull plastic key. Does anyone have the part numbers for the chrome bits to make both the same?

Not found anywhere you can get the chrome bits, but you can get silicone covers for the black plastic ones in various colours.  Try here:

Skoda Kodiaq Silicone Key Cover - Amazon

BTW, I picked my car up on Saturday as well - loving it so far!

Edited by Scratch113