1st Tyre Replacement thoughts?

feebs

Hi All

I am after some thoughts on my 1st set of tyre replacements. I have Pirelli pirelli cinturato p7 on it - I have 150 4x4 model and need 2 fronts (which will go on the rears)

first thoughts are they have been of for 21500 miles on the front they have been ok and give me 42-45mpg going to work, but with 36psi in, at times they look flat or going down compared to the rears

I saw a thread from last year that suggested Goodyear's Efficient Grip was a good replacement, but wandered what else others are using?

Thanks

I'm a big advocate of all season tyres.  Ideally these would be replaced as a full set; I had fantastic experience with a set of Goodyear Vector 4Seasons which I ran for over 40,000 miles through 2 winters and summers - their performance in the dry was not noticeably different to 'summer' tyres, but in the wet, cold and snow they were significantly better.  I replaced the first set I had with a set of the 2nd generation version which were on it when I part-exchanged it.

• Like 1

My choice has been Nexan N-blue 4 season (£79 from Oponeo) last set lasted 20k miles quiet and very good grip. 

Most tyres sold in UK are summer tyres and don't really work well at temperatures below 7deg.

I'm prepared to put up with a slightly higher wear rate from all season tyres for increased grip all year round.

You will have to replace all 4 as you cant mix them.

14 minutes ago, feebs said:

with 36psi in, at times they look flat or going down compared to the rears

There's a heavy lump of an engine sat right over the front wheels: that's why the fronts look more squished than the rears.  It was the same on my Subaru  as it was and is on my two Yetis.

To put it another way: "They all do that".

7 minutes ago, ejstubbs said:

There's a heavy lump of an engine sat right over the front wheels: that's why the fronts look more squished than the rears.  It was the same on my Subaru  as it was and is on my two Yetis.

To put it another way: "They all do that".

piece of mind - was not sure if it was to do with soft tyre walls or anything

will look at what people have quoted

There are a lot of topics regarding all seasons.

Main contesters are

- Michelin CrossClimate+ : Low wear, good performance, but also the most expensive

- Goodyear Vector 4Seasons

- Continental Allseasoncontact

- Bridgestone Weathercontrol A005

Whats the best of these difference from your location and preferences. The CrossClimate is a pretty good allrounder. The Bridgestone for example is on some topics better than the Michelin, but its (pure) snow performance is worse. 

If you experience regular snow, the A005 for example is a bad choise. However, if its mainly rain or dry, and only occasional snow, the A005 is a better choise (it performs better in wet and dry compared to the Michelin)

Other factors to take into consideration are wear and noise. Price is (for me) less of an issues. Difference isn't that much, and 10-40GBP for a full set isn't enough for me personally to skip a certain tire. Safety (/performance) is more valuable for me.

See for example:

http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Article/Category/All-Season-Tyres

Please note, some reviews are based on German sources, where, generally, snow performance is a major factor in its rating. However, for me (The Netherlands) and I think for the southern parts of the UK, snow is less common than in Germany, so I would give more value to performance in wet and dry (which is much more common...)

Edited by DJSmiley

I live in the midlands so the 2-3 days of snow is not a major factor, wet conditions are more to look at - but will look into what has been posted and the link you send

Thanks

Edited by feebs
cant spell

1 minute ago, feebs said:

I live in the midlands so the 2-3 days of snow is not a major factor, wet conditions are more to look at - but will look into what has been posted and the link you send

It's a common misconception that winter/all season tyres only offer an advantage in snow, you'll should get more grip below about 7'C.

I've used the CrossClimates for a couple of years now and not had any issues.

With the 4x4 I wouldn't recommend having tread depth differences over 2.5-3mm otherwise it will strain the Haldex and possibly cause big problems with it (anytime over 50k miles)

Really should have done a front-back swap about 12-15k miles to even out the wear

My view is go for all seasons, if you need the 4x4 part (and you chose it, even though it costs extra to buy, maintain and in fuel), then putting summer tyres on all year in UK makes no sence

Don't forget, whole section with comments and hints on tyres

https://www.briskoda.net/forums/forum/213-tyres-zone/

Edited by SurreyJohn
added link
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

2 minutes ago, SurreyJohn said:

With the 4x4 I wouldn't recommend having tread depth differences over 2.5-3mm otherwise it will strain the Haldex and possibly cause big problems with it (anytime over 50k miles)

Really should have done a front-back swap about 12-15k miles to even out the wear

My view is go for all seasons, if you need the 4x4 part (and you chose it, even though it costs extra to buy, maintain and in fuel), then putting summer tyres on all year in UK makes no sence

now I have learnt something

didn't know or realise about the front to rear wear effecting the 4x4 system

15 minutes ago, SurreyJohn said:

Don't forget, whole section with comments and hints on tyres

https://www.briskoda.net/forums/forum/213-tyres-zone/

Great advice and I thoroughly agree. 

This video probably helps with all-season tyre choice.  I think the advice about what tyres you should consider should be dependent on your geo location and how bad your Winters can be, is spot on.   Having had dedicated Winter tyres/wheels in the past and now running all-season tyres on both our cars I think the difference in Winter performance of Winter tyres Vs. all-season, is closer than most people will think and likewise Vs. a Summer tyre, in the warmer months.   I think any 'compromise' would only be noticed and highlighted when the car is operating at extremes; and the pro's outweigh the cons of having to swap and store seasonal specific wheels/tyres IME. 

I would only move away from all-season tyres now if: 1.  I moved to a very remote location, prone to severe Winter weather. I would fit dedicated Winter tyres.  2.  Had the spare cash to buy some Michelin PS4S' this Summer as I'm just really keen to see what all the fuss is about (but would switch straight back to all-seasons come October/November anyway!) 

@feebs if you don't wish to try all-season tyres then personally I wouldn't look much further than the GY Efficient Grip Performance; it's a great tyre IME and much better than it's eco-centric naming would suggest.  I would actually say they aren't far off Eagle F1's for pure grip but they are quieter and wear much better.  They were my 'go to' tyre on previous cars and I had a fair few set's over tens of thousands of miles. 

Hat in ring.  My Yeti is a 140ps & a 4x4.

My 1st tyres were P. Rosso's. Lasted 37184 miles.

2nd set was Michelin CC's. Lasted 49424 miles.

3rd set is the CC's again. So far 27600 miles.

Service 2 months ago showed 7mm tread left on all 4 tyres.

I swap wheels front to back etc, around 12000 miles driven each time.

We all have personal choices as to which tyre is best for our own use.

Often based on previous usage, over years of driving experience.

Goodness I've never managed to make any tyre on any car last more than 30k even Michelins, shortest was the Avon ZV4 on my Octy less than 11k :(

I rotate tyres as a matter of course just means I have to replace 4 not 2.

Our Yeti came on GY Efficient Grip tyres. Previous Yeti had Dunlops.  The Goodyear tyres are substantially quieter and seem to be wearing well. Grip also seems fine. However we do use Nokian winter tyres in the cold season!

1 hour ago, thingy said:

3rd set is the CC's again. So far 27600 miles.

Service 2 months ago showed 7mm tread left on all 4 tyres.

From memory the Cross Climates don't have 7mm of tread depth from new so I'd be very dubious of that service finding...

1 hour ago, skomaz said:

From memory the Cross Climates don't have 7mm of tread depth from new so I'd be very dubious of that service finding...

Just got my Cross Climates and they certainly do have 7mm tread

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Johnwhocounts said:

Hi All,

Just been reading the posts and I am thinking about changing from 220.50.17 to 215.60.16 as a method of making my 2013 140 4x4 more comfortable to drive. 

Does anyone one have any thoughts or suggestions

Thanks

I have had 2 Yeti’s both with 16” wheels fitted as OEM after contacting Skoda(UK) HQ. There is much discussion on this in previous posts but I test drove a 17” wheeled Yeti and a 16” wheeled Yeti back-to-back and the ride comfort on 16” wheels was noticeably better,  smoother  and less “knobbly”. My wife suffers from a bad back and hence ride comfort is important so I contacted Skoda HQ and they were happy to take over the dealers order and spec 16” wheels from the factory - at the time only the base model came with 16” wheels as standard. When I changed and bought a new Yeti in 2017 (towards end of manufacture) I again contacted Skoda HQ and they were only too happy to intervene again and make sure I got 16” wheels with Goodyear EfficientGrip tyres. In my opinion it greatly enhances the refinement of the Yeti. 

1 hour ago, Yetiflute said:

Just got my Cross Climates and they certainly do have 7mm tread

Just checked and apparently just over 7mm is normal for brand new Cross Climates - so I'm still dubious about @thingy's post above post and them still having 7mm left after 26,000 miles...

8 hours ago, skomaz said:

Just checked and apparently just over 7mm is normal for brand new Cross Climates - so I'm still dubious about @thingy's post above post and them still having 7mm left after 26,000 miles...

Me too !

Currently using 16” steel wheels with winter tyres and the ride is so much more comfortable than with the standard 17” summer tyres.

Previous Yeti was a Greenline on standard 16”alloys and I gather in other countries they are less obsessed with low profile tyres. Personally I think the car is best on 16” wheels overall.

..thanks for the reminder....I have just popped into our local tyre fitters and had my wheels swapped around, (front to back)....I would normally do this myself but as no spare wheel I no longer have a jack!...(and it's b** cold outside and they only charged a tenner). First time i have done this but it seems like a good idea considering some of the above posts, and the car has done 14k miles....

Hi all, just re-looked at the video the dealer sent me.

Shows the workshop person checking the tyre depth and showing the gauge to the camera.

OSF 7.08(outer 1st) - 7.13 - 7.93   NSF 6.86(inner 1st) - 7.08 - 7.90  figures across width of each tyre.

OSR 7.11(inner 1st) - 7.11 - 7.14  NSR 7.21(outer 1st) - 7.32 - 7.61  figures across width of each tyre.

The whole video continues around the whole of underneath of the car without a break or pause in the video.

It shows going to each tyre in turn while showing the mechanics of the underside of the car.

I can only say/quote what I see.

I have to take the video on trust, even though I still check the tyres myself each week.

I have no idea why the workshop would attempt/or try, to make the tread look a greater depth than it was.

It's a Skoda workshop that I always go to.

And it's not where I purchase my tyres.

I have nothing to gain by quoting false details.

To go back to Ops original query.

Get yourself M+S or 3PMSF (mud and snow / 3 Peaked mountain with snowflake symbol) rated tyres.

If you were near South Coast would have said Cross Climate Plus or Bridgestone A005 (biased towards a summer tyre).   Generally the further North you go, or the higher the altitude you live at, need more winter bias.   If you live in remote areas or with steep hills (say 1 in 9 upwards), then seriously consider full winter tyres.

Although members can make suggestions, only you know your locality, and the topography (how hilly), or how well treated your roads are.   Use the video linked above (but some new designs have come out since).

I always suggest you look at something like tyre reviews, and pick the ones with best rating (not price), the best may not be most expensive.  Use the sort by rating (descending) and stick to top third of list.  (But beware of accuracy of items with only one or two reviews, as could be biased.  No reviews are understandable if a brand new design).  The Comparison tests will often split into snow, dry and wet performance and this allows you to weight the proportions depending on if wet is most important (live in South) or more snow performance required (live in North).

Hope this helps.

• Like 2