1st Tyre Replacement thoughts?

feebs

3 hours ago, SurreyJohn said:

Get yourself M+S or 3PMSF (mud and snow / 3 Peaked mountain with snowflake symbol) rated tyres.

M+S is not a "rating", it's an indication by the manufacturer that the tyre has been designed to perform better on such surfaces than their normal models.  The three peak mountain snowflake symbol, on the other hand, shows that the tyre meets the defined performance standard for use in cold, snowy and icy conditions - so it is a "rating".

https://www.oponeo.co.uk/tyre-article/winter-tyres-don-t-rely-on-the-m-s-mark"M+S" is marked on all winter tyres, but not all tyres with "M+S" marking have winter properties

• Like 1

On ‎21‎/‎01‎/‎2019 at 22:05, Expatman said:

I have had 2 Yeti’s both with 16” wheels fitted as OEM after contacting Skoda(UK) HQ. There is much discussion on this in previous posts but I test drove a 17” wheeled Yeti and a 16” wheeled Yeti back-to-back and the ride comfort on 16” wheels was noticeably better,  smoother  and less “knobbly”. My wife suffers from a bad back and hence ride comfort is important so I contacted Skoda HQ and they were happy to take over the dealers order and spec 16” wheels from the factory - at the time only the base model came with 16” wheels as standard. When I changed and bought a new Yeti in 2017 (towards end of manufacture) I again contacted Skoda HQ and they were only too happy to intervene again and make sure I got 16” wheels with Goodyear EfficientGrip tyres. In my opinion it greatly enhances the refinement of the Yeti. 

11 minutes ago, feebs said:

I mean the symbols under Cinturato

the leaf symbol - any ideas what that indicates?

From: https://info.kaltire.com/pirelli-ecoimpact-environmentally-friendly-tire/

ENERGY EFFICIENCY (petrol station symbol)

The Pirelli EcoImpact tires are made of low rolling resistance rubber compounds and a unique internal construction that decreases carbon dioxide emissions and fuel consumption levels so you save money on fuel.

CLEAN AIR (leaf symbol)

During the manufacturing process, tread compounds are created without the use of high aromatic oils. This limits the petroleum dependency and reduces the dispersion of potentially hazardous substances being leached into the environment during production.

HIGH MILEAGE (road symbol)

In an attempt to deliver cost savings to the consumer, EcoImpacts treads are specifically designed for long wear. Aside from extending the life of your tires and saving you money, this feature also reduces the number of tires being made. When fewer tires are made, fewer raw materials, water and energy are consumed. It also lessens the impact on the environment when the tires reach the end of their life.

LOW NOISE (crossed out note symbol)

When driving from Point A to Point B, these tires promise a low level of tire tread-related noise in the cab for an optimal driving experience. This benefit also reduces your contribution to noise pollution when driving around town.

2 hours ago, feebs said:

Is this what they class as a Summer tyre?

only noticed the symbols today 

6022A897-9F28-4AC5-BB88-A558DF6C75E2.jpeg

From experience of the stock tyres on my Superb, the 'P7' symbol indicates "a 5hit tyre" :D

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

15 minutes ago, feebs said:

I mean the symbols under Cinturato

the leaf symbol - any ideas what that indicates?

It indicates the Pirelli are trying to claim eco credentials for their tyre.  It's marketing.

The P7 is definitely a summer tyre, though - Pirelli themselves classify it as such: https://www.pirelli.com/tyres/en-gb/car/find-your-tyres/products-sheet/cinturato_p7

(For information: the Italian word "cinturato" means "belted".  The original Cinturatos were the some of the earliest tyres to use radial construction, with "radial" meaning that the carcass plies are arranged with the cords at 90° to the direction of rotation - i.e. radially, in comparison to the old cross-ply construction technique which had multiple plies with the cords at roughly 60° to the direction of rotation, with each ply crossing its neighbours at an angle of about 120°.  Eliminating the crossing plies reduces frictional losses within the carcass of the tyre from ply cords rubbing against each other as the tyre flexes.  The "belted" bit refers to the additional plies outside the carcass plies, in which the cords run parallel to the direction of rotation: these plies stop the tyre increasing in diameter as the rotational speed increases, so maintaining the tyre's profile at all speeds.  This isn't unique to Pirelli: all radial tyres have them.)

• Like 1

I've got bridgestone ecopia ep150 on the swift and I'm not impressed.  Easy to spin in the damp but at least they will wear quickly!

I've got bridgestone ecopia ep150 on the swift and I'm not impressed.  Easy to spin in the damp but at least they will wear quickly!

On 23/01/2019 at 17:28, Robjon said:

Got those on my Yeti.

Not as 5hit as the Turanzas were on my Roomster  :D

Agree with you, my Arona came with Pirelli P7s.   They were fine in the summer, but since November are poor for first mile or two until warmed.  Have spun the front wheels pulling out of turning when wet with cold P7s (didn’t know it was possible to spin them with a 999cc auto gearbox)

Our Roomster had Bridgestone Turanza T001 and later pair of T005 (the current version), but we recently changed to A005 weather control, has transformed it to superior level.

2nd MOT today and at 31,500 miles told the front tyres are 46% worn and rears 47% worn!

Michelin Energy Saver 205/55/16 91H, run at 2.2 bar all round.

I was hoping to fit Michelin Cross Climate + for this coming winter but it seems these original tyres have another couple of years in them.

Just to throw my 2 pence in... 

I've got Maxxis Arctic Trekker's on my 4x4 Yeti (purely a winter tyre), as I live high up in the Brecon Beacons. We've had some pretty heavy snow already and they have been phenomenal. Was looking at Toyo Snow Prox's, but they were silly money for the Yeti (I've got them on my 2015 corsa but they were 250 quid all in for that!). 

They cost me 400 ish from mytyres. Chuffed with them. 

Will probably get some 'normal' tyres and a new set of wheels, and just swap around. No point having all season ones up here, weather is too Welsh! Lol. 

Adam. 

Hi,

Had Michelin Cross Climates fitted to our Yeti about three weeks ago replacing Goodyear Efficient Grip. The Goodyears didn't inspire my with confidence; we live in a very steep area and pulling away at junctions the Yeti could easily spin the Goodyears even on dry tarmac. The Goodyears like any summer tyre were extremely poor on snow and ice sliding around even at very slow speeds. 

At two years old last July the vehicle health check sheet during its service flagged up the OS rear tyre at 3mm across the tread it being regarded as "amber". The tyres were original Goodyear Efficient Grip 225/50/17W. I had asked to have the wheels swapped front to back hence this low tyre depth; the other rear tyre had suffered a sidewall puncture so it went in for its service with the spare wheel fitted; the new Goodyear cost £150 fitted. With only 13,638 miles on the clock at its service I was amazed by the amount of tyre wear; I stick to speed limits and I'm not a boy racer burning rubber for fun. I can only put this amount of wear down to our local roads; all the stop/starts and nothing but bends with steep climbs and descents; I'm lucky to get 22,000 miles out of tyres on any car living here.

I did lots of web browsing and watching YouTube videos; I even posted on here for advice/suggestions regarding tyres to fit. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YO0zyQh2l3M&t=9s

"tyresonthedrive" were absolutely brilliant arriving on time taking about an hour to fit the new tyres costing just under £600. I had looked on eBay at Cross Climate prices but I believe these would incur a fitting charge; the tyres themselves were similar price to tyresonthedrive but tyresonthedrive didn't include lots of hassle for fitting.

Immediately I could notice the difference; these new tyres were a lot quieter and suddenly the engine sounded louder; the ride was greatly improved and so far no more wheel spin pulling away; the downside is a significant drop in fuel economy; on a regular journey of 23 miles including half on the motorway we could regularly record 60/62mpg but now it struggles to reach 51.5mpg. The weather is now poor and very cold and a forum member kindly suggested once these tyres have done a bit of mileage the fuel consumption should improve. In spite of the fuel consumption difference so far I'm delighted with the Cross Climates. I've run the Yeti full time on BP Ultimate diesel which is supposed to give higher mileage?

Normally we trade in for another new car at three years old but we love our Yeti so much its now a keeper; pity Skoda dropped the Yeti production otherwise we'd be buying another new Yeti this year; the Karoq doesn't appeal to us looking like the rest of the cars these days.

Kind regards, Colin.

Edited by Fabcol
Update.
  • Like 1