Replacing Columbus (RNS510) with Android headunit is it possible?

The Android headunits of today seem to deliver more and more quality and versatility since we all are so connected to the internet and with the Android OS it's possible to use the headunit to so much more than just listen to the radio.

But the biggest concern with our cars must be the integration with canbus and different sound packages including external amplifier with DSP. 

In my case I have a 2014 FL Superb MK2 Estate with the Columbus 3-way system, external amplifier with DSP and that combo didn't work with these aftermarket Android head units before, so does anyone maybe know if the new ones on the market today work fully with our cars?

Been googling around for more info about these headunits, I think this one would do the trick but not really sure. Just guessing it would work since it has a built in DSP. Surely don't wanna throw out a lot of cash for nothing.

https://www.joyingauto.eu/joying-volkswagen-android-car-sound-system-4gb.html

Hi Scootie , i purchaesed an android head unit to replace my rns 510 in my passat cc , about two months ago !.  here is a link it`s the exact sam

e unit you are looking at but a £100 . cheaper ! , and its the newer firmware update, https://www.aliexpress.com/item/2-Din-9-Android-7-1-1-Car-DVD-Player-Stereo-Radio-for-VW-GOLF-5/32825620144.html?spm=a2g0s.904

Edited by Rayban

18 hours ago, Rayban said:

Hi Scootie , i purchaesed an android head unit to replace my rns 510 in my passat cc , about two months ago !.  here is a link it`s the exact sam

e unit you are looking at but a £100 . cheaper ! , and its the newer firmware update, https://www.aliexpress.com/item/2-Din-9-Android-7-1-1-Car-DVD-Player-Stereo-Radio-for-VW-GOLF-5/32825620144.html?spm=a2g0s.904

Do you have the big sound package in your car? Mine does so that means an original external amplifier and the earlier Android headunits had compability issues with that external amplifier.

I did have full ! steering wheel control for my bluetooth which worked great before , but now its pants , not happy with the bluetooth on this unit for my phone as it interfeers with my built in vw bluetooth !, the sound package is a £1100 , upgrade on my car but it has no seperate amp like the dynaudio system !, I replaced the head unit as my rns 510 gave up on the sat nav , but every thing else worked fine , i wanted a bigger screen also,ive aded a pic of my standard head unit which will be identical to yourse,

mediaFNNRH00O.jpg

20181113_105009.jpg

I believe the 10 speaker upgrade (I have this as well) is connected via can bus and optical. I don't believe you can easily replace the headunit. Shame as it would be good to get android auto

6 minutes ago, Nathanio said:

I believe the 10 speaker upgrade (I have this as well) is connected via can bus and optical. I don't believe you can easily replace the headunit. Shame as it would be good to get android auto

Optical? What do you mean? 

1 hour ago, Nathanio said:

There won't be an optical connection in a MK2 Superb as none of the factory headunits support it.

However, the MQB generation do use MOST which is basically an optical connection between some modules.

Its just the rear plug connection that is different you have to buy the optional connector to connect it straight to you harness without cutting into it , It`s the sub that differs which i dont have as standard !. i bought my own pioneer sub whish is flat for the boot, so it does not take much space up , you can get the uptional DSP for 8 quid added when they prog the head unit which was a no brainer for me !. the sat nav is great!, the left hand side of my wheel works fine on the can-bus , but the right side only works my built in stuff on the digital screen on my dash !, ie ` tyre presure sensors, temp and other on board info as factory.  mine was straight foreward to fit ! just pug and play ! . the seller asked to have a look at the plug connector to see if its compatible with my set up !, which it was , as yourse  is slightly different for thextra speakers, you can get it to work if you send a pic of your rear plug !, which you can purchase for abot 18 quid more as they are not as popular a fit !.

Edited by Rayban