Some squeaking in brakes

SizzlingPotato

As above. Give the brakes a good hammering every now and again.  Meaning you test the ABS at the same time.

Don’t pussy-foot about. 

And don’t use the hand brake when parked unless you really have to.

Sitting idle for a long time is the worst thing you do to a machine.

Use It - or Lose It!

There is Coding that enables brake drying by occasionally application of brakes while driving. It is unnoticeable but it warms up discs and clears the rust crust.

I enabled it and no more issues with front / rear slow speed noise.

45 minutes ago, pa_ko said:

There is Coding that enables brake drying by occasionally application of brakes while driving. It is unnoticeable but it warms up discs and clears the rust crust.

I enabled it and no more issues with front / rear slow speed noise.

Interesting........where do you enable it, on screen or via cable?

13 minutes ago, Berisford said:

Interesting........where do you enable it, on screen or via cable?

Via OBD11 but you can use VCDS. Look into Codings section and ask for someone with VCDS in your neighborhood to do it for you.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 22/01/2019 at 19:32, Caledonia said:

My wifes Karoq was in at the dealers for another issue just before Christmas  and I mentioned about the squeel of the rear brakes,its very loud and was told that the rear brake pads were the problem.The car had at that point covered 4300 miles.

They intended on replacing the pads but unfortunately as the Karoq is relatively new they did not have any rear pads in stock so left it that I would contact them once I returned from holiday last week was awayfor 2 weeks over the New Year.

Will phone tomorrow to get the car booked in and the pads replaced.

@Caledonia Did replacing the rear pads solve your problem?

It was leading up to Christmas and I was going on holiday on 27/12 so decided to leave it to I returned in mid January however the squeal was much less and has all but stopped so decided it was not worth the effort and left it as is.Had the pads been in stock the day they mentioned replacement I would have had the work done.

No longer a problem and no real benefit now to get them replaced and saved a wait at the dealers to have the work done.

Hope this helps.

29 minutes ago, Caledonia said:

It was leading up to Christmas and I was going on holiday on 27/12 so decided to leave it to I returned in mid January however the squeal was much less and has all but stopped so decided it was not worth the effort and left it as is.Had the pads been in stock the day they mentioned replacement I would have had the work done.

No longer a problem and no real benefit now to get them replaced and saved a wait at the dealers to have the work done.

Hope this helps.

Alright thanks. Mine does it infrequently  that I keep missing the moment to capture it on video. So wondering if it's worth mentioning it to the them on the next visit.

Hope they correct themselves The squeal was only when reversing.I should add the service department never followed things up to remind me to book the car in in Mid January which suggests that they never ordered replacement pads when they had the car on  4th December.

good luck.

• 7 months later...

Hi all, did anyone find out what was causing this? I had my Karoq booked in today but unfortunately they have had to rearrange until next week. I have suffered the same problem, as above for quite a few months now, only when in reverse and generally when I touch the brakes to slow down. It also only seems to happen in cold, damp/wet weather conditions?

The car has been looked at twice and the garage say they can not find any issues but as stated above I have filmed the car reversing and the noise is very loud.

If anyone has any ideas/solutions that I can take to the garage next week to assist them it may be helpful.  

On 18/10/2019 at 19:13, Steve_G said:

Update to my rear brake problem.Dealer changed my rear brake pads  for a different part number set of pads,service desk informed me that a Skoda Bulletin had been raised for the issue.Anyone who experiences a resonating noise for their rear brakes when reversing slowly,ie from a parking space.should be able to have them changed under warranty.

Edited by Steve_G

• 3 weeks later...

Mine was making the same noise as per the video above.

Car was in for the software update and they did the rear pads as well. Although they didn't have them in stock and had to wait a day 😠

On 22/01/2019 at 21:46, Berisford said:

With the electric parking brake on the Karoq I'm going to miss the facility (manual hand brake) to 'clean-up' the discs on a nice long downhill section now and again...…..anyone that drives in a steady fashion, as I do*, will know that the rear discs can foul up and degrade all too readily. I guess I'm going to be paying out for new discs and pads a little more often.

*My Golf went 80k (8 years) on the front discs and pads though the rears (due to little use) had to be done around 65k (6 years).

Having watched the YouTube video of Top Gear applying the electric parking brake whilst moving at speed in a Golf I tried similar in the Karoq.

60mph, dry, strait empty road, pull the switch -------- it didn't like it, rear wheels locked and 'brake error' light came on, I quickly released the switch but the warning light stayed. It cleared on a restart.

I might try partial switch application as it does (possibly?) seem progressive? Or even load the boot up with some serious weight?

Either way I'd like to scrub the discs a little before they deteriorate too far.

• Confused 1

21 hours ago, Berisford said:

Having watched the YouTube video of Top Gear applying the electric parking brake whilst moving at speed in a Golf I tried similar in the Karoq.

60mph, dry, strait empty road, pull the switch -------- it didn't like it, rear wheels locked and 'brake error' light came on, I quickly released the switch but the warning light stayed. It cleared on a restart.

I can't believe you did that at 60mph. It's very dangerous to lock the rear wheels, especially at so high speeds.

Quick update, as stated above car went in and rear pads were changed = no more squealing!!! Surprised it took 3 visits and me taking in all the info found on this forum for the problem to be solved but there you go. Thanks for your help everyone 😊

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 19/11/2019 at 14:52, Steve_G said:

I had my rear pads replaced under warranty.it is a known issue due to a particular brand of brake pad fitted.

Hi Steve_G

Did you have your brake pads replaced by the Warrington dealership?

On 11/01/2020 at 20:16, Livrishind said:

Hi Steve_G

Did you have your brake pads replaced by the Warrington dealership?

Hi No I had them replaced at RRG Bolton,this where I purchased my vehicle from.

• 5 weeks later...
On 19/11/2019 at 14:52, Steve_G said:

I had my rear pads replaced under warranty.it is a known issue due to a particular brand of brake pad fitted.

Hi Steve_G

Do you know any more information on the brand or part numbers of the brake pads that should be avoided and those that they should be replaced with?

19 hours ago, Mr_H said:

Hi Steve_G

Do you know any more information on the brand or part numbers of the brake pads that should be avoided and those that they should be replaced with?

Hi Unfortunately I dont have any info on the particular brand/part no,I do know that Skoda dealers are aware of the issue though.I was told at the dealer that it was a pot luck kind of issue as to which pads were fitted,and pleased to say my issue was solved with new/different pads.Point to note is that only the rear pads are affected.

27 minutes ago, Steve_G said:

Hi Unfortunately I dont have any info on the particular brand/part no,I do know that Skoda dealers are aware of the issue though.I was told at the dealer that it was a pot luck kind of issue as to which pads were fitted,and pleased to say my issue was solved with new/different pads.Point to note is that only the rear pads are affected.

Hi, so I have an update on this now. 

Bit of background info, I took my car into the dealer a few months ago to be told there was nothing that could be done.  Went back to dealer yesterday to be told the same story that the dealer know its a problem but there wasn't anything they could really do.  They reckoned Skoda said it was a 'characteristic' of the brakes last time they contacted them about it.  We had a good discussion and agreed the dealer would contact Skoda again with a video of my car making the horrendous noise. 

Pleased to say Skoda have got back to the dealer yesterday and now admit there is a problem with the rear brake pads. Skoda are now fitting a redesigned pad that doesn't  make the howling resonating noise.  So my dealer has ordered a set.  Unfortunately they are out of stock and on back order.  But now at least I know it will be fixed. Hope this helps all the frustrated Karoq owners out there. I have to say we love our Karoq 1.5 petrol auto. Brilliant all round car... apart from the rear brake noise when reversing!  

On 22/01/2019 at 18:35, Roottootemblowinootsoot said:

Do not 'grease'  Bolts / Studs before torquing them.    

Threads on this forum and elsewhere.     A mechanics rag wipe of a wheel bolt / stud is enough.

Eventually found the recommended torque setting for the wheel bolts/studs and also the advice NOT to use grease.

Karoq wheel stud torque etc.jpg

4 hours ago, Mr_H said:

Hi, so I have an update on this now. 

Bit of background info, I took my car into the dealer a few months ago to be told there was nothing that could be done.  Went back to dealer yesterday to be told the same story that the dealer know its a problem but there wasn't anything they could really do.  They reckoned Skoda said it was a 'characteristic' of the brakes last time they contacted them about it.  We had a good discussion and agreed the dealer would contact Skoda again with a video of my car making the horrendous noise. 

Pleased to say Skoda have got back to the dealer yesterday and now admit there is a problem with the rear brake pads. Skoda are now fitting a redesigned pad that doesn't  make the howling resonating noise.  So my dealer has ordered a set.  Unfortunately they are out of stock and on back order.  But now at least I know it will be fixed. Hope this helps all the frustrated Karoq owners out there. I have to say we love our Karoq 1.5 petrol auto. Brilliant all round car... apart from the rear brake noise when reversing!  

I did exactly the same, took video and dealer fitted rear pads without question. The car is 18 months old but very low mileage. The fact that there was no questioning indicates that this is identified as a problem with the Karoq. Now I can confidently reverse in silence.