Have you been happy with your Roomster ?

As the title says. I have owned a Roomster for a few weeks and although i do like the car there has been a lot of mainly niggly electrical failures that if they keep happening  will turn me off of the car. My car before this was a Fiesta that gave me 18 months of trouble free motoring , and the one before that was an old 940 Volvo that never went wrong in the 3 years i had it

Very happy ,bought it secondhand about 9 years ago.Had 4 VW cars before that keeping them on average for about 8 to 10 years.All good workhorses, and with very few problems.Do all my own servicing except bigger jobs like  cam belts .

I have enough servicing spares stocked in my garage  hopefully to keep it serviced for years to come !

It seems the only recurring fault amongst this forum threads ,is broken wiring  over time in the rubber gaiters  , between body and doors.

As I say the Roomster is an excellent reliable workhouse. Can,t think of anything I don,t like about it.

Wishing you good luck with yours.

• Like 3

I have had mine for 5 years from new and it has proved ultra reliable. I love the interior space and luggage capacity which has proved invaluable for car boots and holidays. I must admit that my son has just bought a 3 year old Fiesta and compared to the Roomster feels more refined. The Ford clutch is so light and so is the steering and the engine seems silkier (the older Duratec 16V lump). Rear headroom has been sacrificed to styling needs though. My previous car was a Fiat Multipla which I kept for 10 years but the paint work went but the engine was still good after 112k. I do miss the 6 seats.

Edited by edbostan
  • Like 2

Reflecting after my previous post , the only problems I have had , was fan series resister ,carried out under warranty.Both seat front buckles failed at odd times which I replaced by unbolting the seats to plug in the new seat sensor wires. And rear stop bulbs ,I seem to have at least one failure every year. Possibly a case for led replacements?

• Like 3

Have only had her (Czech Vicky) a few days,  so bit early to comment. She has a name already and a gender.847D63E0-C58F-4C62-BB15-49E73B89BB10.thumb.jpeg.2e25fb0bba4c4921bc403f6a7c7e3a1f.jpeg967225A7-AD21-4BEB-BA20-5C7F47ACD3D5.thumb.jpeg.1015237a22885be76a6d6b7c567df800.jpeg

before the roomie I Had a Ford Focus Estate 1.6tdci, it was due a cambelt change but I could not be bothered, I just gave it a light clean and drove it. No name for it, piece of **** sprung to mind lol, but it was to be fair an alright car.

Before the Ford I had always had Volkswagens and was constantly cleaning them, looking for new alloys, buying little bits and pieces for them and generally caring.

my missus has a roomie as well, that’s what made me decide to get one, when I first saw it thought it looked like a wheelchair access car, but grew on me gradually, to the point where I think it’s a good looking car, do like the trim and what not of the Scout though, makes it look a bit younger /sporty imo.

never really felt the love for the ford but the Roomster have spent last few days cleaning and thinking how I can improve her (and to be honest can’t think of much) have booked her in for a service and will keep on top of looking after her. Feeling the love already as I did for VWs

Edited by RoomsterRay
  • Like 3

Yes Roomster a great car, we got ours when 6 months old (had been used by someone in dealership since new).  

Had the variable floor added (apparently a rare accessory)

The dual clutch unit was fixed under warranty when about 2 years 9 months old (presumably one of the faulty ones from 2012), since then the only thing that failed was fan resistor (about £5 and 15 minutes work having found a You tube video on how to release passenger airbag via glovebox to give access 

Has a couple of minor dents in door (clumsy idiots must have hit it in car park, not cars fault) and needed a new headlight and bumper sorting  (after someone backed into it whilst parking, so paid for by their insurance).  There are some scratches on alloys and it has needed 4 new tyres

Apart from that, runs like a dream, is unbelievably practical, have bought a tumble dryer and small chest freezer (both occasions just slid it in back).  Happily carried 2 dogs (especially with raised boot floor, but now down to just one dog).  Easy to park as relatively short and narrow.  Great around town and happy on motorway.

Should Skoda make a modern version, in my view yes

Are we planning to trade it in, not for at least 3 years, as nothing else is so practical, it works well, is fully paid for, so why get rid of it, and if we did, what would we get instead ?

Have the original low level boot floor in the garage, leaning against the wall, so if anyone needs a replacement let me know by PM

2012 SE spec 1.2 tsi DSG

Edited by SurreyJohn
  • Like 2

On 30/01/2019 at 09:11, Robjon said:

My Roomster Scout was the best car I have owned in 50 years of motoring.

My Yeti comes a close second.

The yeti was my first choice but my finances cant quite stretch to them yet

• Like 3

Brilliant car.

Super smooth drive - 102 TSi DSG.

Carried a std. size tumble dryer with room for a rear passenger too.

Carried a 55" Sony TV in the box - no worries.

I have fitted some more bucketed seats from a Seat Ibiza FR (added bonus, they flip forward)

Some cosmetic stupidity and some actually useful add-ons (cruise control and fog/running lights)

Heko wind deflectors are great.

All in all great.

• Like 3

On 02/02/2019 at 12:06, stratosg said:

It is the most beautiful ugly car I have ever owned. 

Sums up the Roomster perfectly!!

Had mine from new in June 2013 and have now done 55,556 miles.  It is a pleasure to own, a pleasure to drive and I intend keeping it for a long time yet!

Unlike Stratosg's unfortunate experience, I have had exemplary service from my local main dealer, DM Keith's in Bradford. 

• Like 1

I hate my Roomster, never had nearly as much trouble from any other car.

Every loom that could break has broken.

Both front door locks have failed electrically.

The window motor (which also controls door locks and triggers alarm) has had an intermittent problem for the last few months.

The boot is failing to open with the back doors, only opens on fob button hold now.

Back windows keep dropping.

Drivers door has become loose in that there is still a gap for wind and rain when it's closed.

The engine is awfully weak, I have to make sure I have double the gap in traffic to turn onto a main road because there is no acceleration.  Can't get into 4th gear until I'm doing about 40mph unless it's downhill.

Any long spells of rain mess with the electrics and causes the alarm to go off 5-6 times a night when it happens.

Parts are nearly impossible to get hold of except at the dealers and they know it so charge extortionate rates (£100 for drivers door loom, £27 for drivers door window switch etc...)  Even the windscreen wipers are a special 'expensive' kind.

The car randomly thinks doors are open when they're not so triggers the alarm, usually at night, usually when it's raining.

Parking sensors don't work.

Sometimes the passenger door doesn't lock with the rest.

I thoroughly regret buying this heap of junk.  It actually depresses me that I'm stuck with it for the foreseeable future :'(

Used to have a Zafira, now that was a car I was happy to own.

Going off my experience I would strongly advise anyone to steer clear of Roomsters and Skoda in general, knowing that VW share a lot of the same electrical problems I'd steer clear of them too.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

6 hours ago, joeski said:

Every loom that could break has broken.

Both front door locks have failed electrically.

The window motor (which also controls door locks and triggers alarm) has had an intermittent problem for the last few months.

The boot is failing to open with the back doors, only opens on fob button hold now.

Back windows keep dropping.

Drivers door has become loose in that there is still a gap for wind and rain when it's closed.

The engine is awfully weak, I have to make sure I have double the gap in traffic to turn onto a main road because there is no acceleration.  Can't get into 4th gear until I'm doing about 40mph unless it's downhill.

Any long spells of rain mess with the electrics and causes the alarm to go off 5-6 times a night when it happens.

Parts are nearly impossible to get hold of except at the dealers and they know it so charge extortionate rates (£100 for drivers door loom, £27 for drivers door window switch etc...)  Even the windscreen wipers are a special 'expensive' kind.

The car randomly thinks doors are open when they're not so triggers the alarm, usually at night, usually when it's raining.

Parking sensors don't work.

Sometimes the passenger door doesn't lock with the rest.

I thoroughly regret buying this heap of junk.  It actually depresses me that I'm stuck with it for the foreseeable future :'(

Going off my experience I would strongly advise anyone to steer clear of Roomsters and Skoda in general, knowing that VW share a lot of the same electrical problems I'd steer clear of them too.

Mate, your not having much luck with yours are you . Some of your electrical door  locking problems i have got, but my 1.4 tdi engine is really good and responsive for a diesel

• Like 1

8 hours ago, joeski said:

[snip]

Easy for me as I'm not the one who has had your SERIOUSLY bad luck but you can't condemn a whole brand on the basis of one bad car.  If that were so then why would you consider a Vauxhall after the Zafira fire scandal?

http://www.catmag.co.uk/tag/vauxhall-zafira-fires

• Like 1

2 hours ago, eccleshill said:

Easy for me as I'm not the one who has had your SERIOUSLY bad luck but you can't condemn a whole brand on the basis of one bad car.  If that were so then why would you consider a Vauxhall after the Zafira fire scandal?

http://www.catmag.co.uk/tag/vauxhall-zafira-fires

The reason I wouldn't recommend Skoda and to a lesser extent VW is because of the known issues that the dealers will happily charge you through the nose to correct.  I.e. the loom issues, this forum has shown me that it is such a common problem and Skoda MUST know about it but totally don't care.

With such an obvious issue they should at least offer the replacement looms for cost price, if not cost, then at least not 1000% cost which is what I'm guessing they are at the moment.

My guess is they cost less than a tenner to produce but they still sell them at 10x that price, at least Dlck Turpin wore a mask so you knew you were being robbed...

With all the trouble I've had with my Roomster, can you really blame me ?

I would strongly recommend against buying a Roomster to anyone I know, another reason is the rarity of the parts because the Roomster has been discontinued for so long now and was relatively unpopular when it was in production.  Wouldn't matter what make the car was - any car with replacement parts as expensive and hard to get as parts for the Roomster are would get a down vote from me.

Anyone want to buy it? I'll sell it for half what I paid a year ago  £1750, 57 plate 1.4TDI with panoramic roof, just shy of 100k miles ??

Edited by joeski

I was fortunate to own mine from new and after 5 years of ownership I have only had to replace consumables. It has proven to been (other than a Mk1 Micra)  ultra reliable, gremlin free and economical to run. Looking forward to another painless 5 years.

• Like 1

So ours is the 'Family' package, on the later spec Roomster (2013 model) with 1.2 TSI DSG. So looking like a scout, but not all equipent, and a "blacked out" interior, still on the green emblems... :D

We landed this purchase as an alternative to a 1. gen Touran. We really needed a flexible freighter as we are refurbishing a house from 1870s, and near Oslo a diesel sees restrictions now and then. Gasolin Tourans are hard to find.

I knew of the Roomster since it was launched and working at a dealership at the time. Didn't think that much of it then, but we have been SUPER PLEASED about the flexibility of this car. If small errands, running to kindergarden etc, I tend to take the Roomster as much as I can over the Octavia, due ease. I think we've had this 2,5 years now (sept '16), covering close to 30 000km, and the 1.2 is just as good in a traffic que as 1.4 ...

We've (I've) done some things to it:

• Dealer advertised with cruise control, so they had to retrofit that at my local dealership.
  • Dealer agreed to meeting "half way" (because they sat with 3 identical Cappuchino Roomsters, and eager to get rid of petrol vs the other diesels they had :D) on installing removable tow bar. And it's run the 4m trailer quite a bit.
  • Application fit sun screens (OEM) in rear side windows.
  • Norway closed FM, changing to DAB. Luckily ours had the Amundsen+ (= RNS-310?) with Media-In, so I just connected a Dension DAB-to-USB module which works really well.
  • Changed brakes to EBC OEM-ish items when needed. Worked out well for a much more reasonable price.
  • This winter I was fed up coming from the old & cold house into a cold Roomster, so I fitted the DEFA heating for it.

We've found some things with it:

• I am a bit anqcious about a small vibration just when initiating driving (sometimes noticeable).
  • At one point, running the rear wiper (as one does in winter Norway), it triggered ABS warning light. Was just before end covered by 5 year warranty, and found to kick into the one rear ABS sensor (I think it was). Really odd stuff.
  • I suspect bushings up front are prone to be a tad bit underdimensioned being  Fabia front end, for a car that is basically much heavier.

I'm trying my best:

• Any engine in general running small drives, and especially the chain driven TSI 1.2/1.4 engines, should never see the long-life intervalls of oil change.
    30 000km per change? Really? No, I don't want that. Even if I have a insurance covering engine & gearbox, giving these new oil and filters on a seasonal basis (twice a year) seems to keep the 1.2 TSI much more happy in responsiveness and elasticity.

Overall, I share a lot of the views above. It's a very good bang-for-the-buch vehicle, offering something that Skoda themselves aren't currently able to replace with current portfolio. Our's downpaid too, so we'll just stick with it for a while I guess due the flexibility. By all means not a beauty, but fair enough.

• Like 1

On 30/01/2019 at 18:32, SurreyJohn said:

Had the variable floor added (apparently a rare accessory)

How is this flooring?? Alike Octavia mk2 flooring with a "hatch"?

On 02/02/2019 at 13:06, stratosg said:

1. The seats. They do not offer enough lumbar support.

3. The 195/55R15 tyre size. It is ridiculusly overpriced.

Agree, long drives are a bit exhausting, but I miss the thigh-support the most, being tall.

For tires, I did the 195/55s. On winter wheels, I did the 185/60s. They fit the OEM rims better, and holds a more sensible price due as "Golf mk3" dimension. Meets the wheel arch gap better too. So I regret the summer tires (Toyo CF2) not being 185/60s too.

2 hours ago, WAUOla said:

For tires, I did the 195/55s. On winter wheels, I did the 185/60s. They fit the OEM rims better, and holds a more sensible price due as "Golf mk3" dimension. Meets the wheel arch gap better too. So I regret the summer tires (Toyo CF2) not being 185/60s too.

To be honest I am thinking to go for a set of 195/60R15. I know they are off of Skoda's approved dimensions, but having in mind that the ground dimension is 185/60, then 195/60 is 1.95% difference, so marginally within the permitted 2% limit. A second reason for thinking as such, is because Skoda recomends winter tyres at the dimension of 185/55/15 which brinks up a huge difference of 3.17%.

I really do not know. I am seeking a logical answer sinnce 2013 and I did not find it yet. Even Skoda wrote back to me that 195/60 is not homologated, while 185/55 is homologated. I still do not understand the logic.

On 16/02/2019 at 11:19, stratosg said:

To be honest I am thinking to go for a set of 195/60R15. I know they are off of Skoda's approved dimensions, but having in mind that the ground dimension is 185/60, then 195/60 is 1.95% difference, so marginally within the permitted 2% limit. A second reason for thinking as such, is because Skoda recomends winter tyres at the dimension of 185/55/15 which brinks up a huge difference of 3.17%.

I really do not know. I am seeking a logical answer sinnce 2013 and I did not find it yet. Even Skoda wrote back to me that 195/60 is not homologated, while 185/55 is homologated. I still do not understand the logic.

I am running Michelin CrossClimates on 195/65R15 - Great for Summer and Winter, and nice and quiet.

Larger size is better (to me) as gives correct speed on the speedo !

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, petrev said:

I am running Michelin CrossClimates on 195/65R15 - Great for Summer and Winter, and nice and quiet.

Larger size is better (to me) as gives correct speed on the speedo !

I am runnig the same tyres as well but on 195/55. So there are no issues with 195/65s? I mean they do fit in the arches without rubbing them on turns?