Have you been happy with your Roomster ?

3 hours ago, stratosg said:

I am running the same tyres as well but on 195/55. So there are no issues with 195/65s? I mean they do fit in the arches without rubbing them on turns?

Hi,

No physical issues, plenty of room.

Tyre fitters mentioned not the same as original size, but fitted fine and within size percentage from original options.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Roomyster
On 09/02/2019 at 13:56, joeski said:

I hate my Roomster, never had nearly as much trouble from any other car.

Every loom that could break has broken.

Both front door locks have failed electrically.

The window motor (which also controls door locks and triggers alarm) has had an intermittent problem for the last few months.

The boot is failing to open with the back doors, only opens on fob button hold now.

Back windows keep dropping.

Drivers door has become loose in that there is still a gap for wind and rain when it's closed.

The engine is awfully weak, I have to make sure I have double the gap in traffic to turn onto a main road because there is no acceleration.  Can't get into 4th gear until I'm doing about 40mph unless it's downhill.

Any long spells of rain mess with the electrics and causes the alarm to go off 5-6 times a night when it happens.

Parts are nearly impossible to get hold of except at the dealers and they know it so charge extortionate rates (£100 for drivers door loom, £27 for drivers door window switch etc...)  Even the windscreen wipers are a special 'expensive' kind.

The car randomly thinks doors are open when they're not so triggers the alarm, usually at night, usually when it's raining.

Parking sensors don't work.

Sometimes the passenger door doesn't lock with the rest.

I thoroughly regret buying this heap of junk.  It actually depresses me that I'm stuck with it for the foreseeable future :'(

Used to have a Zafira, now that was a car I was happy to own.

Going off my experience I would strongly advise anyone to steer clear of Roomsters and Skoda in general, knowing that VW share a lot of the same electrical problems I'd steer clear of them too.

Door open light and alarm going off randomly was just boot latch in mine, fixed with removing plastics around it and WD40-ing or similar stuff liberally, was 7 years ago now so dont remember the details but thats about the sum of it and has not occurred since.

Parts are easy, pretty much all common to other VAG group cars, just need to find the part number and google google google.

You sound really unlucky with yours,

I bought a 57 plate Scout 1.9Tdi in January 2017 as I needed a hack to clear my late Mother’s house and the mileage I was doing was causing problems with my PCP on a Volvo estate.  It had 57,000 on the clock when I bought it. 

I have just tonight clocked up 30,000 miles since then with only a few minor problems, which have been easy/cheap to fix.

I don’t go anywhere near the main dealers.  My local garage services it and fixes any issues. 

It is the best car I have ever owned, and I have been through quite a few in 37 years of driving! It is the car of choice for most trips, despite having several others on the drive to choose from. It just does the job, whatever that job may be.

I can’t get below 55mpg, no matter how hard I try. I have had several trips where the average has been upper 60’s.  I don’t treat the thing gently. 

I may have been lucky with my purchase, the car had FSH and had been owned by someone who kept detailed records of all work done.  

The first owner ticked pretty pretty much every option available. It has heated seats, which appears to be a very rare option. They are the quickest heating, and hottest heated seats I have ever had. 

The sunroof shows no sign of leaking and is a welcome addition to the vehicle.  

If and when the thing gives up the ghost, and I hope that it won’t do so for a long time yet, I would seriously consider buying as new a Roomster as I could get to replace it.  

Yes, I have been (and still am) very happy with my Roomster. 

GH

• Like 4

Had our 57 plate 1.9 pd for 3.5 years and driven 54k miles, now on 144k.

Marvelous vehicle! Bar for normal wear and tear, disc's and pads all round. Only problems brake vacuum pipe split (can't understand why it wasn't recalled like Fabia) and front wheel bearings, nearside on third change, probably potholes.

Long may she carry on giving trouble free motoring.

• Like 3

Fabia had recall for servo brake vacuum pipe splitting. Roomsters with same engine weren't. Had to replace my own when it failed. Information of recall is on Fabia forum.

• Like 1

I bought my 2008 1.6 petrol roomster one year ago and it's a great car but the small problems here and there are making me miss my old toyota. The important parts are fine, engine and suspension have never failed but the door lock button doesn't work anymore, the rear right door won't open (I'm waiting for the part right now) the a/c control knobs are broken and last week I discovered I can't remove the rear left seat anymore. Sometimes while I'm driving three long beeps come from my dash but I have no idea why or what triggers it. My airbag light is came on when the dealer was trying to fix the three beeps (they say it's something with the brakes) and its still on because they say the diagnostic tool can't get a good connection to the car. It's all small things but I travel a lot and the result of all those little things is that I don't trust the car and it worries me every time I'm on a long trip. Maybe it's because my first car was a 2000 toyota that I had for 5 years before the roomster and the interior and electrics were as solid as new on that one. 

Now the good stuff, it's fun to drive, it's great for carrying kids, I love the height of the trunk area, the seats are a little narrow but I can drive 4-6 hours straight no problem. Fuel economy is good for me at around 24MPG (like 28 uk mpg) from the 1.6 petrol engine but for what I've read on the internet I should be getting more. I like the big door and windows on the back too. 

Overall a great city car but not so good for travel and I need one that can do both so I think I'll be changing soon. 

• Like 1

Regarding removal of rear seat...

I discovered the hard way that the rear seats can only be removed if they are in the fully rearward position.  On my second Roomster, I could only achieve this  by sitting in the seat and sliding it forward, then sliding it back hard against the rear stop.

• Like 1

On 11/03/2019 at 11:30, Robjon said:

Regarding removal of rear seat...

I discovered the hard way that the rear seats can only be removed if they are in the fully rearward position.  On my second Roomster, I could only achieve this  by sitting in the seat and sliding it forward, then sliding it back hard against the rear stop.

There's something wrong with the mechanism, when I pull the lever on the back only one side is unlocked, the left latch on the left seat is not unlocking and space is so tight down there it's hard to inspect.

Guest Roomyster
16 minutes ago, sebdel said:

There's something wrong with the mechanism, when I pull the lever on the back only one side is unlocked, the left latch on the left seat is not unlocking and space is so tight down there it's hard to inspect. 

I just fixed this on x2 of my rear seats, wish i took pics. i found that if you move the seats to the fully forward position (seat backs were upright position not folded too) it will expose the mechanism you can manually undo the catches, you need two hands, one on each rail and your head from the boot side to lift the seat haha or a helper. Then get something under the seat to stop it re-engaging. a metal tab or pin will be snapped of, i drilled out what remains and fixed similar size bolts in place. I WD40'd everything first as always as i can all get a little sticky. theres a couple of torx screws holding in the plastic at the bottem rear of the seats to get a little more working room.

On 21/02/2019 at 13:30, petrev said:

Hi,

No physical issues, plenty of room.

Tyre fitters mentioned not the same as original size, but fitted fine and within size percentage from original options.

CORRECTION !

My tyres are 195/60 R15

NOT 65 as previously stated - don't know how I kept repeating the error

This is a useful site for tyre comparisons

http://www.kouki.co.uk/utilities/visual-tyre-size-calculator

195/60 vs 185/60 comes in at 2%

Sorry for the previous erroneous posts : (

• Like 2

On 20/02/2019 at 15:24, petrev said:

I am running Michelin CrossClimates on 195/65R15 - Great for Summer and Winter, and nice and quiet.

Larger size is better (to me) as gives correct speed on the speedo !

Just to reitterate - Correction

195/60R15 - NOT 65

:doh:

My speed readings are correct though with the /60s

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, petrev said:

CORRECTION !

My tyres are 195/60 R15

NOT 65 as previously stated - don't know how I kept repeating the error

This is a useful site for tyre comparisons

http://www.kouki.co.uk/utilities/visual-tyre-size-calculator

195/60 vs 185/60 comes in at 2%

Sorry for the previous erroneous posts : (

Another good visual tyre size calculator is : https://tire-calc.com/#

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

I'm very happy with my MY2014 Roomster Scout, 105 hp 1.2 TSI with DSG. Fitted with almost every option that was available, sunroof too.

Interior space is good, car is nice and easy to drive in every weather. Engine could have a bit lower consumpion, but current MPG is just fine for car it's type. 

• Like 4

• 4 weeks later...
On 03/04/2019 at 12:58, manni said:

... Engine could have a bit lower consumpion, but current MPG is just fine for car it's type...

I think this is due to lack of the 6th gear. I strongly believe that Roomster would have an awesome consumption if it was fitted with the 6 gear manual gearbox like Octavia.

6 minutes ago, stratosg said:

I think this is due to lack of the 6th gear. I strongly believe that Roomster would have an awesome consumption if it was fitted with the 6 gear manual gearbox like Octavia.

My Roomster is equipped with DSG7. 

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

I am happy with my 1.9 TDI 2008 Romster. A real workhorse. Bought it 5 or so years ago as I needed a van but also a car. You can get an amazing amount in the back of the roomy! It's now done 135 k miles. Last year driving to Scotland managed an overall indicated 72 mpg, not had for 350+ miles. Always get 50 to 60 mpg out of it. Projector headlights are junk, no good for 'making progress' at night. Reversing sensors have become temperamental, sometimes work, mostly don"t... Occasional electrical issues around the door looms... Front rear console bushes seem to go every 18 months or so. Overall I love it!

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I bought mine new in March 2016 so one of the last on special offer a tad less than 10k, it’s on a 15 plate done 30k and it’s a 1.2tsi. 

It does exactly what it should, bags of space, hugely practical, looks better with the roof rails body moulding and wind deflectors. It’s starts on the button no problem, comfortable and basically does what a 4 1/2 year old car should. Have been disappointed with fuel economy apart from a trip down to devon a couple of weeks ago, 47mpg on way down and 57mpg on way back both times using Shell V-Power. Was it the fuel or the long trip probably a bit of both.

struggled to find info regarding fitting a towbar, people say that you have to have reverse sensors disconnected but I don’t want to do that so never had one fitted.

I have a 4x4 vehicle and I get into that and love driving it, get into the Roomster and drive, it just gets me from A to B. Seems to be missing an X factor that my other car has. Still like it and would highly recommend one to anyone.

On 16/08/2019 at 15:08, Immelmann said:

struggled to find info regarding fitting a towbar, people say that you have to have reverse sensors disconnected but I don’t want to do that so never had one fitted.

Hi,

I have a kit for the towbar electrics (13pin version) with an optional box that disables the reversing sensors - PDC Contol - when reversing and trailer attached. Attached PDF page 12 (Manual p22/24)

Job done.

Roomster-TowKit-DGH-U2-LC-13PinWiring2010plus.pdf