Yeti 4x4 rufty tufty styling ideas

Peregrine

6 hours ago, oldstan said:

All rcvd, Exp.

As we speak I'm a little over your recommended times .... both the little Hyundai i10 auto. and the Yeti DSG were bought new in 2011 (neither having been driven further off road than a grass verge on Dartmoor)

I keep thinking my next purchase(s)  could well be KIa, with their 7 yr warranty, or perhaps Suzuki given that my local dealer has an arrangement whereby they extend the vehicle warranty year on year provided they service it.

The Vitara has torque converter transmission and the little Kia Picanto does too.

How do you find the i10 automatic? My wife is looking for a small automatic car and the i10 Premium SE 1.2 auto seems to have good reviews and recommended by ”Honest John”. Apparently it is only a 4 speed but is a torque converter gearbox so rugged and should last. She would use it mainly for local trips with the occasional motorway journey.

Re. the i10 automatic.

Well, Expatman, how long have you got... ? :mmm:

Remember mine's not the current one. It's the second incarnation. I did have the first version too (a 2009 manual) and the current shape is quite different from the first two - albeit in the automatic version they kept the same 1.2 engine and four speed torque converter transmission - with, maybe, just  very minor tweaks as time passed.

I would have to say we don't really need two cars but my Mrs. likes to drive something small - and has got to like driving automatics and she only drives round about on short trips.  Occasionally I take it a bit further to clear the tubes a bit.

I actually dislike it whereas the Mrs. finds it perfectly alright. She just gets in it and pootles around in it and likes the fact that it's small, innocuous and anonymous and so small it's easy to drive and park.

For me it's dreadfully noisy at 70mph and it rarely does more than 32mpg  (it's sometimes down below 30mpg and only occasionally sees 35 mpg).

When I compare it to the Yeti (which is also automatic, also petrol and also has a 1.2 engine) I observe that the Yeti does more to the gallon, is safer, bigger, quieter, better constructed, more comfortable and cheaper to insure .... but that's not what you're asking.

It could well be that the latest version is quieter, more economical and altogether a nicer thing to travel in.  I will certainly check one out when the time comes for the present one to go as I, too, read how wonderful it is.

Mine has been very reliable. It always starts first time. Hasn't given any trouble except for requiring two rear shockers due to one of them leaking plus it's had new front discs and pads. It's got no rust that I can see ... my mileage is only 17.000 miles. Servicing isn't expensive and service parts seem easy enough to find. I changed the battery recently as I didn't want to get caught out.

It's not a substantial thing, it feels a bit tinny compared to the Yeti but it was cheap at the time ... I paid £8,550. The current one is probably much better in all respects.

Lastly .... as mentioned it's noisy at 70 mph.  I raised this when it was new and had to get seriously vocal with Hyundai to get them to show any interest . Many letters and correspondences were entered into in order to get them to try to find out why it made a dreadful buzzing noise at 3250 rpm (which equates to 70mph). Ultimately they fitted a modified drive shaft which improved it a bit but it still buzzes horribly at 70 mph in top gear.  The noise is engine related, not speed related so I never understood why a drive shaft should have any bearing on the matter ... but that's what they deduced.

The gearbox is probably bombproof. The engine feels as though it will go on for ever. I dare say it still has plenty life left in it given the low mileage ... maybe the bodywork will cause it's demise?

The alternative is the Picanto.  Have a look at that too.

I don't think you want an automatic Up or Citigo. A manual one might be an option.

I have read the new i10 has been seen in disguise being tested. So maybe that will be available by the end of the year. In which case the current one might be a bit cheaper.

Good luck.

Hi oldster, my wife sounds exactly like your wife in that she loves travelling in the Yeti but doesn’t like driving it. She wants something small, innocuous and easy to drive and park in little spaces. Hence out quest for a small, reliable automatic with some of the nice-to-haves that the Yeti has - heated seats particularly! Like you we don’t really need two cars, but if that’s what she wants then why not and if it keeps her driving then it’s important to me. I have been married too long to know not to argue about certain things! We will certainly test the 70MPH drive again because the test drive we had didn’t exceed 60 MPH - but it did seem quiet at 60 with not much wind or road noise. Maybe upping to 70 triggers something but it was a 2018 test drive car (not the premium model she favours) and it did seem well screwed together. Have looked at the specs of the Picanto but no heated seats - achy back much relieved by heated seat - obviously sister car to i10 with minor spec and ride differences. As you say VW Up etc are not real automatics and  after living in the USA for 15 years prior to retirement she really likes automatics. Petrol consumption a bit disappointing but as she won’t be doing a vast number of miles it really doesn’t matter much.

Thanks for your advice, good to hear from someone who has had one for many years. 

• Like 1

@Expatman

I had a Kia Picanto 1.1 16v Auto from new in 2006 for 7 years.

Used it quite a lot in winter and for fun on back roads at other times. It did only about 5,000 miles a year only for local use, but was good on the occasional longer run.

It got 42 mpg almost all the time other than when used at Autotests.  

The 4 speed Auto with Overdrive off button was good.  I was going to trade it in for a 1.2 Hyundai i10 when the Picanto was about 5 years old and i borrowed the Hyundai for a day and it was rubbish in comparison so i kept the Picanto until swapping it for an old Volvo. 

I would have one again, not tried a newer one though.

Avon Ice Touring tyres stayed on all year.

19.1.13 thaw 033.JPG

post-86161-0-11931100-1439451810.jpg

Edited by Skoffski

^^^   :thumbup:

Just briefly, I can't believe that a new, or newish, one would make that noise at 70 mph. It was a peculiarity then, and remains so. Manual ones weren't affected at the time but there was a bloke up the road from me with the same car (same year and automatic) who had much the same sort of thing on his and I told him about mine and that he might want to pursue the matter himself ... but I heard no more. They sourced/produced the new driveshaft in the factory in Chennai in India - it took them ages to come up with -and I asked for,  and was eventually granted, three free services when I asked for some sort of acknowledgement of the time spent pursuing a solution to the problem. Their head office was (is?) that big glass palace that houses the huge RAC operations department in Walsall.

I would imagine you would be perfectly happy with one nowadays.

• Like 1

I have been comparing comfort and enjoyment and 'size' & i have had a 1.4 Auto Allgrip Vitara out and a Kuga 1.5 AWD Auto just recently and if a towbar & petrol AWD was a must it would be the Kuga with the poor consumption heated seats and screen or the Vitara with better economy. But i am not stuck for an old diesel for towing, so going for a Niro as 250 mile range will do just fine.

(been looking at them side by sides etc.) & getting in different ones after a long drive in my daily driver to compare and see how they feel.

DSCN2490 (1).JPG

DSCN4840.JPG

DSCN2534 (2).JPG

DSCN4806.JPG

Edited by Skoffski

• 3 years later...

Eibach do a spring lift kit for the Tiguan. I’m about to investigate that as I want to lift mine for ground clearance in sand. I’m also going to go some 235/70 on the standard 17s, either ATs or MTs. 

• 5 months later...
On 30/05/2022 at 06:06, Bris_Yeti said:

Eibach do a spring lift kit for the Tiguan. I’m about to investigate that as I want to lift mine for ground clearance in sand. I’m also going to go some 235/70 on the standard 17s, either ATs or MTs. 

Hey there, I recently installed these Eibach springs on my Yeti. They are awesome. I got 25mm to 30mm lift, and when fully loaded they don’t sag. The handling has improved both off and on road. I highly recommend. 

• 1 year later...
On 28/11/2022 at 02:23, Bris_Yeti said:

The handling has improved both off and on road

Because raising the CoG of a vehicle always improves handling right!

• Haha 2

19 minutes ago, J.R. said:

Because raising the CoG of a vehicle always improves handling right!

It's often more about what it does to the roll centre rather than just the CofG but then you know that, J.R, right.... :D 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, YetiMarc said:

Hey Bris_Yeti... have you got any more specific info about the Eibach Springs that you mentioned?  Thanks

IMG_6189.jpeg

Edited by Bris_Yeti
Picture

@Rooted  Thanks, I have messaged them.  Awaiting a response 😉

@Bris_Yeti Thanks for the link. I found that online as well... so heading in the right direction. Curious to see what Eibach Europe has to say.

Another thought/question occurred... I have heard/read I think... that some versions of Yetis came with a 'upgraded' suspension?  I assume maybe like a towing package or 'offroad' package?  Does that sound right to people here?  Mine does have the extra under carriage 'protection'... extra plastic covers etc. So wondering about that.