Fabia III 95ps purchase!

Shwmae pawb - alright all.

Looks as though I'm going to be passing off my current, less economical, motor in exchange for a new Fabia over the next couple/few weeks. Looking at 48mo PCP with 17k miles/year, most likely a Colour Edition, 1.0tsi 95ps, 5sp manual as the price is good for one per month, with my car as p/x. Question is, are there any particular issues I should be looking out for? I've test-driven a 6sp 110 and that was nice, and a definite step up in comforts vs my current, and the better half has a 1.2tsi DSG Polo (2017) which is also a nice drive, so I know I'm going to be comfortable in it. Mileage will mostly be motorway commutes (approximately 15 miles per way 3x weekly and 55 miles per way 2x weekly), so does the 5sp cope with this well enough?

Also, would there be any particular issues with the PCP if I (hypothetically speaking, of course) used OBDEleven to activate things such as hill-hold, or tear-wipe? I'm aware I could revert settings prior to any dealership visits. Are there any conclusive lists for the 2019 Fabia, or lists of what a Fabia might not have activated? I'm aware the VCDS list makes reference to a 2016 one! Sorry about the comprehensive questions list.

Thanks in advance.

B.

Welcome Benz3ne, nice choice of motor.

The 1.0ltr Fabia with the 95ps engine is a good choice. I don't know of any intrinsic problems with the motors or the gearboxes. The 5spd gearbox is fine on the motorways, although I personally do like the 6spd unit more. 

Regarding activating other functions, I don't see any particular reason to avoid doing that. I don't have a list of things you can activate but no doubt someone will be along shortly to tell you or point you in the right direction. As long as you don't damage the car by attempting to activate stuff, the owners (VW/Skoda Finance) won't complain I'm sure.

Good luck and enjoy. 

Thanks Mr Estate Man!

May I ask why you prefer the 6sp over the 5sp? I'm guessing there's a slightly longer gear ratio in top gear for the 6sp? I've tried finding info on what the difference in revs at x speed is but, alas, haven't stumbled across the answer! I'm very much used to a noisy car in 5th on motorways so either way it'll be a marked improvement when cruising, as well as practicality (2dr vs 5dr, 2 seats vs 5 seats, ~150L boot vs 330L boot, 35mpg reported average vs 64mpg reported average, no AC vs AC... you get the picture,)!

To be honest, I don't think I will - I'm pretty exhaustive in my learning style so wouldn't attempt anything until I'm absolutely certain. Some of the options can be simply activated or deactivated at the touch of a button from what I've seen (with a 1wk pass with Carista or 'credits' on OBDEleven), so it's only things that don't particularly work out of the box such as tear-wipe and hill-hold functions which I'd probably look at with respect to long coding.

Thanks for the luck, hopefully it goes my way! I'll be sure to update you lovely lot when I do get around to procuring it (looking likely that it'll be sooner rather than later)!

Update: Will be popping down to the dealers this weekend to sort out the initial stages of purchase. It'll be a pre-made car which will be available to me so I won't require the 'several months' lead times! Exciting times, for what is an otherwise unexciting car. Safe to say, I'm looking forward to driving frugally, ha.

Before buying our 1.0 TSi 110 PS we tried both the 95 PS and 110 PS versions. To be fair the 95 PS with the 5 speed box was absolutely fine, way better than the 98 PS 5 speed car we were changing. But the 110 PS with 6 speed box was much better. You could feel the extra grunt (its the 30 extra torques that really matter not the extra 15 PS) and the 6th gear makes it really relaxing on the motorway, the fact that it closes the other gears as well makes for a much more flexible drive.

Well worth the extra money.

6 minutes ago, skidpan said:

Before buying our 1.0 TSi 110 PS we tried both the 95 PS and 110 PS versions. To be fair the 95 PS with the 5 speed box was absolutely fine, way better than the 98 PS 5 speed car we were changing. But the 110 PS with 6 speed box was much better. You could feel the extra grunt (its the 30 extra torques that really matter not the extra 15 PS) and the 6th gear makes it really relaxing on the motorway, the fact that it closes the other gears as well makes for a much more flexible drive.

Well worth the extra money.

Thanks for this skidpan! 

It's interesting, I tried the 110 6sp and found it a lovely ride (demonstrator, less than 20 miles on it) and it had enough go to keep me happy. I've said that I'd want to trial the 95 before committing (obviously). Interestingly, I'm going from a 160ps, 140ftlb, normally aspirated car to a 1.0tsi so the drive will be hugely more comfortable regardless. I definitely agree that the extra 30 torques will have a larger impact than a small jump in hp.

I'd be interested to hear how it makes the drive more 'flexible', or what sort of difference there is on the motorway with the 6th vs 5th top gear. They're the only aspects I'm yet to find any intel on.

Diolch!

Edit: the cars they had available were between 3x 95ps and 1x 110ps as new, in-stock models. The 95ps worked out around £60/mo less than the kitted-out 110ps with LED headlights, Monte Carlo guise. Not a small sum, unfortunately.

Edited by Benz3ne

The dealer had no stock cars when we bought but since we used Carfile (a broker) the discounts were huge, we paid £12000 for a 110 PS SE-L with some extras after discounts and contributions, other dealers were asking more for 6 month old pre-reg cars that did not have the kit we wanted.

Try car file before you buy, no risks, we have had 3 cars from them since 2013.

As for the flexibility we found that 5th in the 110 PS version is far more usable than 5th in the 95 PS version. 6th is a bit higher than 5th in the 95 PS version thus makes motorway cruising really relaxing.

If the car was mostly for town use the 95 PS would be fine but with regular motorway use (the wifes regular visits to the MIL are a 80 mile round trip) the 110 suits us better.

• Like 1

Cheers skidpan. Having a look at Carfile, it doesn't seem to be quite competitive enough at this stage. Ultimately, I'll be buying into a PCP deal as well so I'm unsure how that would affect matters. 

Thanks for the detailed breakdown of the 5th vs 6th gear. I do manage approx 300+ miles a week with 2x 120 mile round trips per week so I might perhaps notice it over time, I guess?

Carfiles price quoted is without any PCP contribution and other deals. Take off whatever those figures are and that is the price. Its exactly like buying form a Skoda dealer (which is exactly what you do - Rainworth Motors) but the PCP contribution comes off the discount price and not list. When we bought the discount was 14% (just over £2300), PCP contribution was £2000 and test drive bonus was £1000. The car was over £17000 (crazy for a car of its type) but £12000 was a bargain. Paid PCP off after a week and kept the £2000.

• Like 2

Comparing the listed prices to the prices I've been quoted, there's very little in it as the cash price after reductions is about the same for a similar model to the Colour Edition 1.0tsi I've been quoted. 

I'll carry on looking into it in the meantime as I'm not due to meet with them until Saturday morning, but likelihood is going for the 95ps (if the test-drive goes well) or the 110ps (if there's another there that's more price competitive).

9 hours ago, skidpan said:

6th is a bit higher than 5th in the 95 PS version thus makes motorway cruising really relaxing.

Can you tell me the speed showing at 2000 rpm in 6th and 5th please.

So I can compare to my 90PS TSI 5M.

Thanks AG Falco

• Like 1

About 55 MPH at 2000 RPM in 5th Gear.

The 110 PS has a higher insurance group.

I would have paid extra if I could get the 6 speed manual with my 90PS TSI.

Thanks AG Falco

37 minutes ago, AGFalco said:

About 55 MPH at 2000 RPM in 5th Gear.

The 110 PS has a higher insurance group.

I would have paid extra if I could get the 6 speed manual with my 90PS TSI.

Thanks AG Falco

Wonderful, good to know. I’ll compare that with my current motor which I believe is largely higher at 55mph. 

It would be a good combination and perhaps the option I’d go for, if it existed. 

Thanks!

The 5-speed in my 90PS 1.2 TSI is fine. I've gone for the higher-powered version in my new Ibiza (arriving next month) though, but that's because I want the extra power, not because I think the car needs it. The TSI engines are so quiet that the RPM on the motorway is pretty irrelevant from a noise point of view. The noise comes from the road and wind, not the engine. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, vc-10 said:

The 5-speed in my 90PS 1.2 TSI is fine. I've gone for the higher-powered version in my new Ibiza (arriving next month) though, but that's because I want the extra power, not because I think the car needs it. The TSI engines are so quiet that the RPM on the motorway is pretty irrelevant from a noise point of view. The noise comes from the road and wind, not the engine. 

Thanks vc-10! This is perhaps the only nugget of information I really need. It'll certainly be quieter than my current motor. At 55mph it sits at around 2,700rpm and without a particularly quiet exhaust, or engine.

You're welcome! I should have said before- I test drove a 95PS Ibiza, and it was just as quiet as my Fabia. The new 3-cyl engine only seems to make itself known when pushed, and IMO gives a really good enthusiastic engine note. 

• Like 1

Just now, vc-10 said:

You're welcome! I should have said before- I test drove a 95PS Ibiza, and it was just as quiet as my Fabia. The new 3-cyl engine only seems to make itself known when pushed, and IMO gives a really good enthusiastic engine note. 

That's great, thanks! Having driven the OH's car the other day and having a quiet conversation with my brother at motorway speeds (Polo, 7sp DSG, 1.2tsi 90) I'm sure that a 95tsi 1.0 will suit me just fine. I'm probably giving it more thought than absolutely necessary, but I've always done so and (touch-wood) not had any catastrophic issues with any of the cars I've purchased to date. It'll still be considerably quieter than my car, which my dogs can pin-point. It'll probably catch them off guard the first few days when I get home without a rumble/burble!

I find that the biggest noise at cruising speeds comes from the tyres.

Engine and wind noise is well suppressed in modern cars.

The Fabia III TSI engine is quiet in my car.

If 6th gear is higher than my 5th then I wanted this for the better MPH.

Thanks AG Falco

13 hours ago, sparckzero said:

In case it helps, I have the 1.0tsi 110 6-speed manual - 70mph is delivered at around 2100rpm in 6th gear.

Thanks Sparckzero. I’m pipped to have the 95tsi colour edition. Since I’ve had the option to be fussy on colour, I’ve said anything not red or black! Hopefully should be receiving it beginning of March! 

Thanks everyone again for the responses, it’s reallt helped me with the decision making side of things! :) 

Best of luck with the new car! Mine recently passed to the 10,000mi mark and I'm still very pleased with it. In hindsight, I do wish I'd gone for the DSG, but overall it meets my current needs perfectly. Will probably go for something a bit bigger when it comes time to change it - will be interesting to see how the SCALA does later this year...

• Like 1

An absolutely unimportant update! It's just been confirmed, the car I will be procuring, likely on the 1st March is going to be a Rallye Green Fabia colour edition, 95ps 1.0tsi guise, with accompanying black wheels and black roof. No optional extras over the standard for colour editions which includes cruise control of all things!

I'll be sure to chuck on needle sweep for sh*ts 'n' giggles and probably hill hold, leaving home/coming home lights and cornering lights for added practicality. Looking forward to it!

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, vc-10 said:

I'm sure you'll love it! I've certainly loved the last 2.5 years of Fabia ownership. 

Cheers VC-10! It's really strange, I'm a huge fan of my current motor but really looking forward to the swap. I thought it'd pull on heart-strings more than it is.