Tarraco

2 minutes ago, TonyTonic said:

TSI 320 Nm torque

TDI 150 340NM

TDI 190 400Nm

I Have the 150 diesel manual on 19s rims. It handles very well, the suspension has a strong rebound, most noticeable over speed humps but it's overall very comfortable,

Don't get the 1.5 TSI at the moment whatever you decide.

Absolutely - the 1.5 has neither the grunt or the confidence for me! My current Superb has the 150 TDI engine and has been great. If it wasn't for the short journeys/low mileage now, I'd probably go for the same engine again...

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, CheshireBumpkin said:

Absolutely - the 1.5 has neither the grunt or the confidence for me! My current Superb has the 150 TDI engine and has been great. If it wasn't for the short journeys/low mileage now, I'd probably go for the same engine again...

What's the 150 TDI like on oil for long constant journeys? How old is your car? Is it the Euro6Temp with SCR and Stop/Start?

Edited by TonyTonic

4 hours ago, TonyTonic said:

What's the 150 TDI like on oil for long constant journeys? How old is your car? Is it the Euro6Temp with SCR and Stop/Start?

I've never had to top the oil up between services, on longer journeys outside of Winter diesel season I tend to average between 55-60mpg (caveat - via the readout, so probably optimistic).

It's the Superb III, 2017MY with stop/start etc.

• Like 1

Saw my first Tarraco in the flesh today. 

The front and rear looked fairly distinctive and better than the photos.  From the side though, I could have sworn it was a Tiguan Allspace.  

Are the Tiguan and the Tarraco coming out of the same VW factory (like the Karoq / Ateca are made on the same Skoda factory line)?

4 minutes ago, MrTrilby said:

The AllSpace is made in the USA/Mexico, or at least it was when we were looking to order one. 

Well all the SEAT marketing said the Tarraco is rolling of the same production line in Wolfsburg as the Tiguan (maybe it's just the normal one) My Tarraco's VIN confirms Wolfsburg

https://www.volkswagenag.com/en/news/2018/10/seat-tarraco-production-starts-in-wolfsburg.html

Edited by TonyTonic

The Audi Q5 come from there (Mexico)- so suspect the Touareg also comes from there as its the same floor pan  (i believe)

Edited by SimonAudi

4 hours ago, SimonAudi said:

The Audi Q5 come from there (Mexico)- so suspect the Touareg also comes from there as its the same floor pan  (i believe)

No, the Tarraco is made in Wolfsburg in Germany

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

A new FR spec hybrid with 245PS is being launched

https://www.seat-mediacenter.com/newspage/allnews/modelrange/2019/SEAT-Tarraco-FR-PHEV-Technology-sportiness-and-efficiency.html

top speed 217 km/h

under 50g/km on WLTP for CO2

Some potentially useful features like parking heater (warm up inside of car whilst still parked)

Edited by SurreyJohn
  • Like 1

The best bit about the Tarraco PHEV is it's use of the 1.4 TSI petrol engine, an engine miles ahead of the flawed 1.5 TSI.

I'd buy one just for the combustion engine.

Hopefully the UK Chancellor will tax heavily big elephants of cars that have Electric Only Ranges of only 50km if they do not have a system that shuts down the ICE in towns, cities and villages.

The EV Charging Infrastructure is needed for pure EV's that need charging not these that will get cheap parking by plugging in regardless of needing charged, 

or if even getting run on Electricity only.

A 1.4TSI 150ps car this size can not emit only 50g /km C02 being driven with no charge in the power pack.

Neither at Kerb Weight and certainly not at Revenue / Max Gross weight.

As usual VW Group are so slow getting the technology out there that things are moving on.

Edited by Roottootemoot

4 hours ago, Roottootemoot said:

Hopefully the UK Chancellor will tax heavily big elephants of cars that have Electric Only Ranges of only 50km if they do not have a system that shuts down the ICE in towns, cities and villages.

That might encourage owners to stick with their old dirty diesel gas guzzlers. Running on petrol or diesel already costs more in tax than running on electricity.

The EV Charging Infrastructure is needed for pure EV's that need charging not these that will get cheap parking by plugging in regardless of needing charged, 

or if even getting run on Electricity only.

If the buyers of these PHEVs were to go for pure EVs instead, the demands on the Charging Infrastructure would be even greater. If the extra demand on the Charging Infrastructure caused by these PHEVs is met, this will pave the way for future growth in EVs.

As usual VW Group are so slow getting the technology out there that things are moving on.

In some ways things are moving on, but in other ways they are not. This Tarraco PHEV is not really at the cutting edge of VW group technology. Apart from being a bit bigger and heavier it is basically similar to the Passat GTE which has been in production since 2016. VW group also have pure EVs, i.e. E-Up, E-Golf, and Audi E-tron which I would say are more cutting edge, and the first two of these have also been around for a good while. Yet although VW Group have the technology there are no E-Citigos or E-Octavias, and no pure electric large SUV to compete with models from premium brands apart from the aforementioned E-tron. Clearly a big obstacle to getting the EVs out into the market place is the high initial purchase price, due to cost of batteries. With more expensive vehicles from premium brands the cost of batteries can more easily be absorbed into a high purchase price, and whilst some buyers of Audis may find a price at the level of the E-tron acceptable, such a vehicle would be beyond what most customers would pay for a VW, let alone a Seat or Skoda. Similarly some customers will pay E-Golf or E-Up prices for those VW models, but would not spend so much on an equivalent Skoda or Seat. In short, I believe that the VW Group is being led by the market, and is making the cars it believes it can sell. However, it now has a high profile advertising campaign for the ID.3 and other electric vehicles.

Having said all of the above I would not be interested in buying a Terraco PHEV nor say that it was a good idea, (not that I am in the market for a new car at present). Small petrol engines on their own do not work well in big heavy vehicles, and this is why VW Group are bringing out the Terraco PHEV. Diesel engines are more suitable than petrols as a means of propulsion for this type of vehicle, but customers are looking for an alternative due to emissions, DPF issues, and the backlash following Dieselgate.

e-Up & e-Golf range still pathetic and the e-Citigo & e-Mii have been long enough coming with some more range.

VW talking the talk and yet still not able to produce enough motors or procure enough batteries.

They will get there eventually, behind the curve as usual.

Best manufacturer in the Czech Republic seems to be Hyundai.

They are moving on to 2nd generation with Hybrids be that self charge, plug in or EV.

Amazing how some can get all the bits, build the vehicles and sell them.

Vorsprung Durch Technik,  if you can rather than spend the efforts clearing up your previous cheats.

A Topgear articlr from August 2017.

'Tax dodging' was right, that was what was intended, then the UK Government cut the grants. People were leasing / buying as Tax Dodgers.

Screenshot 2019-08-29 at 08.20.04.png

Screenshot 2019-08-29 at 08.20.32.png

Screenshot 2019-08-29 at 08.20.49.png

Edited by Roottootemoot

12 hours ago, Roottootemoot said:

A Topgear articlr from August 2017.

'Tax dodging' was right, that was what was intended, then the UK Government cut the grants. People were leasing / buying as Tax Dodgers.

The Top Gear article doesn't clearly explain what it means by "tax dodging". It's true that grants for EVs and the like have been cut, but car taxation is still based on official CO2 emissions figures whether it be what is popularly known as road tax or BIK (Benefit In Kind) income tax on company cars. Sales of new cars to private customers in the UK account for about 44.5% of the total according to the latest SMMT figures, the other 55.5% are sales to companies. The sales to companies will include hire cars and pool cars, but a large proportion will be company cars for individuals subject to BIK tax. Most people who are getting a new car will be looking at what it is going to cost them. Private buyers will be looking at all the usual things - what it will cost to buy, and what it will cost to run, but for the lucky user choosers whose company is picking up the tab for buying and running the car the cost to them will be the BIK, and this will be a big hit on their pay for as long as they are using the vehicle.

Company cars are an important market segment for the car makers, and they will be aiming to offer models with the lowest possible official CO2 figures to the corporate customers.

The main purpose of taxation is to raise revenue for the government, but it can also be used as a tool to influence people's decisions with a view to achieving particular objectives, and so we have taxes on cars broadly aimed at reducing CO2 emissions. The system has been tweaked by putting a surcharge on diesel cars to take account of other pollutants. Tax dodging in this scenario is mainly a good thing, as this is how the desired objective is to be achieved.

For taxation purposes there has to be a standard method of emissions testing applicable to all cars etc, not only relevant to currently available models but also to any new models that the makers might bring out. Since there is a standard testing system, the car makers are able to play this system by tweaking and configuring the cars to optimise the test results. Although the test results are at variance from what happens in the real world they are probably near enough in most cases, but I think that the figures for hybrids have always been a bit problematic, and the 50g/km for the Terraco PHEV is extremely unrealistic.  The short range on electric just makes it all worse.

True it never made it clear. But it was not about low VED or Tax & Duty on fuel.

It was Fleet / Business users and their Taxes, 

and Congestion / Emission Zone type things, Park at Work place tax if that came in.

But when the investigations showed how few were getting plugged in then the 'kidology' was clear to a blind person.

The thing with fleet and business use is any one with a calculator can work out exactly mileages done and fuel purchased, 

and if the Hybrids like a 1.4 TSI with Tax Breaks are actually needing more petrol bought than a Petrol car without a 1.4 TSI & green incentives then there are not Lower Emissions.

Now when the Company Car is a Big SUV because maybe it will need to tow, and yet never tows, or can not tow that is another con.

Like Dual Use Life Style Pick Up Trucks.

Edited by Roottootemoot

4 minutes ago, Roottootemoot said:

It was Fleet / Business users and their Taxes, 

Yes this is mainly the BIK which I was trying to explain in my post.

6 minutes ago, Roottootemoot said:

But when the investigations showed how few were getting plugged in then the 'kidology' was clear to a blind person.

Few may be getting plugged in, but many are choosing low emissions for their ICEs. The increase in EVs will come when range improves and charging infrastructure expands commensurately.

The thing with fleet and business use is any one with a calculator can work out exactly mileages done and fuel purchased, 

and if the Hybrids like a 1.4 TSI with Tax Breaks are actually needing more petrol bought than a Petrol car without a 1.4 TSI & green incentives then there are not Lower Emissions.

Another thing about business use, which I mentioned previously, is that the car's user is going to be more concerned with the tax rates that affect his pay than with the car costs that are borne by the company. Normally the company management will set a budget and possibly other parameters for the user who will be choosing the car, and this will ensure that a reasonable choice is made. However people can get very emotional about cars and perceptions of status, and sometimes decisions will be made that are not solely based on the cost of the car, especially if it is for a key employee who may have a certain ability to call the shots.

Like Dual Use Life Style Pick Up Trucks.

The thing about these is that historically vans have been taxed more leniently than company cars, since the Tax Man has viewed them more as a tool of the trade and less as a perk. I think you meant to say Dual Cab - these are classed as vans but have 2 rows of seats like a car. There are also car-derived vans that qualify as vans for BIK. Particularly notable are Landrover Commercials sold by the Landrover company itself. They take the regular passenger vehicle, e.g. Discovery, and make various adaptations such as removing the rear seats, blocking the rear side windows and creating a van-like load space compartment. The Discovery Commercial is a big expensive gas guzzler that is almost useless for carrying passengers, and not ideal for someone who really needs a proper van. Back in the day the company that I was with bought some 1998 Tata Safaris that had been similarly converted into commercials, and they were absolutely awful.

• Like 1

@OldBoyScout

I meant Dual Use, and these are Dual Cabs, or some other vehicles that might not be pick ups. Can carry passengers with windows and a load.

Just to let you know i know all this as i have been involved with the motor trade for long enough, and have driven self charge and plug in hybrids and am waiting on my new EV.

I also live in an area with lots of EV's likely the most per capita, and EV chargers a plenty.

PS

I have a Shogun Van, never was a passenger vehicle. no rear seats and speed limited due to weight.

Lots of Commercial Discoveries and the likes around here used commercially on the road and land, estates etc, much comfier than a Defender, & they do the job they need to which is often to tow and go off road and into fields, forest tracks and where there are tracks to shoots, plenty pickups as well as work vehicles, not just as life style as many in some areas are that are left at home during the working week for Family use at weekends.

PPS

I have been down to Norwich a few times. RPI Engineering supplied my Land Rover 110, an Orange  V8 Auto with LPG conversion.

LPG only and no need for a Tacho when towing for gain or reward.

http://v8engines.com

Screenshot 2019-08-29 at 18.32.27.png

Edited by Roottootemoot
  • Thanks 1