chip or remap for more torque/power DIESEL 190

mentaliss

PCH, or a PCP with no intention of paying the balloon payment? Then essentially you're borrowing the car in exchange for a set fee.

By all means, map the car, make all the modifications you want. Put the car back to standard and return it to the finance company. All is well.

But it's at you're own risk. Be prepared to get stung. Most won't, but roll over and take it on the chin if you do.

The best thing to do is buy the car. Own it outright. Then you've no worries at all. What's yours is yours.

Spend a bit less on the car, and put the difference towards the modifications.

Thanks. 

I have had 3 new cars remapped in the past - all for the better. 

I was always told the remap wasn’t detectable and they remained in situ and active over the years I owned the cars despite dealer servicing. I guess it would be detected as others suggest if the ÉCU was interrogated due to a related fault - but then good remap companies warranty against that

On 11/02/2019 at 14:16, mentaliss said:

OK, REMAP appears to be the way to go....so will the remap sort out the 'infamous' poor throttle lag of the 190ps Auto Kodiaq, will it increase the torque

Regarding the laggy throttle response. I use a throttle response box to resolve this. I would suggest you may want to try this first, as for me, it transforms the way the car responds and drives. You may find you do not want to remap after improving the standard laggy throttle map.

On 11/02/2019 at 19:27, mentaliss said:

I have read the helpful posts here and it appears to be more support of the remap than chipping however the consequences of installing a re-map does appear to be a major concern of people opting to do this and the on going concern throughout the ownership of a vehicle that it has a device fitted that can invalidate the Manufactures Warranty.... therefore in my case I think the case of the latest Tech'  plug-able Tuning Chip + pedal power is the way I prefer to go.. anyone?

As Gizmo says, the box is still detectable if they wish to look hard enough. Also bear in mind if you do release an extra 100nm of torque there are still limits in the system that will limit the usable torque. So unless you lift those limits you may not realise the full potential a tuning box could offer. Which loops back to my first comment. If you want to protect your warranty wait 3 years then remap and ensure the associated torque limit on the DSG is lifted too. That is my plan but in the mean time I use a throttle response box to improve the lag and overall drivability of my 190 DSG.

Have to agree totally with Jason, try the throttle response box first. I fitted a RaceChip XLR throttle box and completely removed the throttle lag.  Took 5 minutes to fit and doesn't affect the warranty or insurance.

That’s helpful thanks. I’ll obviously wait until I have my car for a few weeks before doing anything. The throttle box sounds interesting. I’ll look that up as a first option. 

It took me a couple of days of trying to get out on to the main road from my street to order one.  Mind you, that is on the 1.4TSi DSG.  But like you say, give a go first and if you think the lag is to bad to put up with then get one, easy to fit and with 6 different settings there'll be on in there that you'll feel comfortable with.

2 hours ago, Valkyrie said:

How do you get that done? Can a Skoda dealer do it?

They possibly ‘could’ do it.

Would an official dealer change the car to another manufacturer?... no chance!

You need someone with VCDS to do it.

1 hour ago, mentaliss said:

Back to my post have had re map done, Turbo/Throttle lag appears to have been corrected,190bhp to 220bhp, waiting for Torque figures which is more important to my needs

Did they do a before and after run on the rollers? How come you know the bhp figure but no torque?

I reckon you'll see around the  60nm 

32 minutes ago, AndyMorris said:

Did they do a before and after run on the rollers? How come you know the bhp figure but no torque?

I reckon you'll see around the  60nm 

The BHP is shown on the engineers spectrogram computer, they did show the Torque figures but I have since lost my notes, I am waiting to receive written figures  (as in most cases thses days the BHP is not measured from the wheels)......  Same sitution applies, without the use of a dynometer or the 'old term' rolling road how do you measure the Bhp/ Torque figures when remapping the vehicles many on board computers or fitting a DIY CHIP ...... Im sure there are some bright people here who can give you the maths and formula....... due to my back problem I have not really had a chance to test the increased power

3 minutes ago, mentaliss said:

The BHP is shown on the engineers spectrogram computer, they did show the Torque figures but I have since lost my notes, I am waiting to receive written figures  (as in most cases thses days the BHP is not measured from the wheels)......  Same sitution applies, without the use of a dynometer or the 'old term' rolling road how do you measure the Bhp/ Torque figures when remapping the vehicles many on board computers or fitting a DIY CHIP ...... Im sure there are some bright people here who can give you the maths and formula....... due to my back problem I have not really had a chance to test the increased power

No print out! who did you use? 

• 2 weeks later...

Cant really confirm one way or another as I have been laid up since my remap, it has come out with an + 35bhp with + 70 torque not outstanding by any means, nor can I or anyone verify this without the use of a Dynometer, if it was a case of just remapping the electronic control system to get lots more power then Volkswagon would not have bothered to develope and introduce their new twin turo engine this year ( kodiaq VRS).   The informus Kodiaq torque/ throttle lack has improved the vehicle does without question drive a lot smoother however I cant say at this stage if fuel economy has improved but from my experiences usually BHP increases normally become depremental to fuel economy....we are going down to our Caravan in Spain shortly driving from Bilbao to the Med' coast so should get an ideal then... dont get to carried away with all these ideals of remapping and chip replacements (some, would most probably effect the vehicles Warranty)..... in the beginning you decide what you want to acheive and what your budget is.. we paid £250 for ours

• Confused 1

@mentaliss

What new Bi-Turbo engine have Skoda developed introduced or Produced?

(in a transporter crate from VW to Skoda with love..)

They were allowed to take the VW ones before they are discontinued, as SEAT used to get as well, take this and get more years out of it!.

SEAT the performance arm and Budget and now CUPRA and Skoda get access to the parts bin, that is it.

As far as development, i think not.

Manufacturers are producing with longevity and reliability and having to warranty that and they can produce the same hardware with less power by using different software.

eg Skoda gets the same gear and less PS / Nm torque regularly compared to Sister Brands.

Also VW often co-ckup the Reliability & Longevity bit and produce lemons with penny / cent / euro pinching parts.

Edited by Skoffski

I remember reading somewhere in this forum, that 190 engine can be remapped to max 220 - 225 HP due to injector limitations.

But do not feel disappointed. Expectations are usually higher.

You will notice the difference when you go back (temporarily) to your original mapping due to service visit for example. And this difference is huge.

Also - most reputable remappers / chippers do ask for their services £400 - 500 at least.