Yellow oil light staying on?

Hi everyone,

The yellow oil light is staying on on my Skoda Fabia even after topping up the oil.

The car feels absolutely fine when driving it, although it’s worth noting it has had recent electrical issues (needed new battery and earth wire). 

I am going to take it to a garage as soon as I can, but was wondering if anyone else has experienced this, what the problem was, and how much it cost to fix? I feel like I’ve been chucking money at this car after buying it in September.

Thank you!

What is the level on the dipstick - is that OK?

Bizzarley check the bonnet catch switch first - after you have had something like a low oil incident detected it doesen't reset until it thinks you have opened and closed the bonnet  to check/top up.

Surely the oil lamp is red?

Do you mean the yellow engine check light?

Which engine are we talking about please?

These cars are getting old now, most faults are relatively minor and shouldn't cost much but you won't get new car reliability from a 15 year old car.

12 minutes ago, sepulchrave said:

Surely the oil lamp is red?

Yep, that's what I was thinking. To the best of my knowledge all UK-sold mk1 Fabias were/are on fixed interval servicing, which means no oil level sensor or brake pad wear indicators. So the only oil related warning light is the red one for low pressure.

Is this a UK car?

Edited by Wino

My 2001 Octavia was on fixed service intervals and had (er still has!) an oil level sensor that gives an orange light if level is low. Is the Fabia different then? OP does mention an orange light though. 

Could the sensor simply be not available for the original Skoda 1.4 mpi pushrod engine?

What year and engine is the car?

Edited by bigjohn

Hi Bigjohn - Ok, thank you for this suggestion! Dipstick is fine but will look into the bonnet catch switch.

Hi Sepulchrave and Wino - I may be confused about the make/model. It does say its ‘Vehicle type approval’ is M1 - it’s a Skoda Fabia 06 plate.

I am attaching the details in a screenshot if that helps. 

0956FC5B-FB53-456B-B7CE-45CE157596A7.png

• Like 1

Thanks, very helpful.

Part available on UK Ebay for oil level sensor for a MKI Fabia - not that that means anything:-

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Engine-Oil-Level-Sensor-FOR-SKODA-FABIA-I-1-2-01-08-6Y2-6Y3-6Y5-Petrol-Lucas-/372368334896

Edited by bigjohn

probably a sensor thats failing then, unless its misfiring then its likely to be a coil pack or spark plug. You need to get it plugged in and scanned to find the fault code. If it drives ok no need to worry about damaging anything

10 minutes ago, sepulchrave said:

It's a 1.2, let's hope it not the 6V with burnt out exhaust valves, they light the CEL.

I think the CO2 figure suggests 12V. Is the 'p' of the HTP on the back red, Sophie?

11 hours ago, SophieMilne said:

Oh it’s the first one! the engine. Feel really stupid now when I see it compared to the actual oil jug.

Often known as the "Check Engine Light" (CEL). There are many things that can cause that to illuminate, and we do need fault codes to advise further.