Sat nav update

DRGW

Well it came with the VW logo etc. But more importantly they took the time to enquire after the software version and got me to send a pic of it and they strongly advised v9 and not v10 as I had asked for.I would certainly recommend them.

My Yeti went back to the dealer yesterday to have the satnav sorted. I’ve told them on more than one occasion over the last few weeks that v9 is needed and this will then sort the issues. Skoda have also confirmed this to me. Dealer want my Yeti for 3 days! Just phoned dealer to see how it is getting on and they advised that they have done a factory reset of the radio unit which didn’t work. I asked why they haven’t put v9 on yet and after um’s and ah’s they said that they’ve not ordered it yet. Really starting to loose my faith and confidence in the dealer.

Yeti has been at the dealer all week and still not rectified. Dealer claims to be unaware of any issues with satnav software although have stated that they are doing their best to get hold of v9 for me. I’ve asked for the radio to be replaced (like for like) but have been told that this would be too costly. I also mentioned about companies selling satnav software and was advised if I go down this route my 2 year warranty will be void.

i can’t complain about my Yeti as it’s a fantastic car, but really wishing I never went to this particular dealer.

Does anybody have anything “official” they could let me have a copy of stating the issues with v10 and 11?

There's nothing "Official" as such (as far as I can find), other than Skoda UK telling you they're aware of the issue. I seem to recall you said this at some point?

As regards your warranty being void, if you go to another dealer and purchase a V9 sd card and install it yourself, ask them how they can refuse a warranty claim for this?

Oh, and your dealer is an idiot.

The dealer are trying (so they say) to get v9 from another branch within their group.

I asked them to update the satnav prior to buying the car and everything has gone wrong ever since.

I agree with dealer being idiots, in fact they have recently been taken over by a bigger group. Hopefully things can only get better.

So I bought the V9 from eBay as RustyNuts mentioned it doesn't matter where it comes from - £10 cheaper, installed the maps and so far everything works ok! When satnav said it would take 120 minutes I didn't believe it but no kidding! 2 hours it was - crazy. All good! Thanks guys as if it wasn't for you I would have made the wrong decision. Only strange thing that happened to me was when I checked the saved destinations, they were all there but had to re-save them otherwise I couldn't select them. And my frequent destination is giving me a new route as I haven't realized there is a fixed motorway for couple of years on my way there! I'm happy :-)

Edited by PrHr
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Update, after the update (maps and navigating are spot on) it seems it has a problem with selecting saved destinations. No matter what I do it never works straight away and always I have to Edit -> Rename -> OK -> Start. After saving a new destination it does the same - has anyone experienced similar problem after installing V9?

Hi

yes I have had the same problem with previously saved destinations. I just deleted them and re entered them and all is fine, a bit of a pta.

Thanks - I'll try again, did save just one destination to try but I assume I picked the old one instead (have not deleted any yet) when testing it.

• 4 weeks later...

As v9 is no longer available and has been withdrawn by Skoda themselves, my media unit has been replaced in my Yeti at no cost to me. I am back to v7 which is what I had when I bought my Yeti back in January/February. No issues whatsoever now although the maps are out of date. Due to all the hassle etc in getting this resolved, I’m not going to bother with the inbuilt satnav but invest in a Garmin. Any recommendations as to what model to go for? I would like something with live traffic if possible.

I had Garmin and not very happy with it - it's good but very limited options in settings so it can be very frustrating what you can't select as an option simply because it's not available (doesn't exist). Friend of mine has been driving a lorry for many years and always using TomTom sat nav, recently was using Garmin and could not believe the difference - very unhappy with it. I always thought Garmin is great but must admit it disappointed me on many occasions too. 

• 11 months later...

Have seen map update v 12 for RNS 315, for some strange reason there doesn't seem to be UK on the list of covered EU countries so my questions are:

a) has anyone experience with this map update in terms of stability? (know v10 & v11 were not very good)

b) does it really cover Western EU excluding UK? Thought Brexit has nothing to do with maps and western Europe doesn't end around England... but you know might be wrong, there is no limit for stupidity in this world... 🙂

I've never updated before, does the ignition have to be on during the update?

If the RNS unit only is turned on, will the car go to sleep and it shut it down after (say) 30 minutes and corrupt the update?

29 minutes ago, b1ackb1rd said:

I've never updated before, does the ignition have to be on during the update?

If the RNS unit only is turned on, will the car go to sleep and it shut it down after (say) 30 minutes and corrupt the update?

When I updated to v9 I had my engine on, simply because of the battery health, but if your battery is healthy it should be ok without turning your engine on - it did take about two hours though...stayed in the car the whole time playing with my phone but just wanted to be sure nothing goes wrong :) 

Edited by PrHr
  • Like 1

I read in the instructions that the download should carry on where it left off when the power comes back on. 

• Like 1

So, the update took the best part of 2 hours with the car being started a few times and at least 2 x timeouts stopping the process before I turned the unit back on and it resumed. 

All seems ok so far 

• 3 weeks later...

The sd arrived yesterday , installed this morning , seems to work glitch free, but have a longer trip scheduled for later in the week so who knows?

Card bought on E... from a Merseysider, cost £25 inc delivery to France, however the card and packet originated in Lithuania

4 hours ago, Frenchtone said:

The sd arrived yesterday , installed this morning , seems to work glitch free, but have a longer trip scheduled for later in the week so who knows?

Card bought on E... from a Merseysider, cost £25 inc delivery to France, however the card and packet originated in Lithuania

Thank you Frenchtone, keep us in the loop - am curious 🙂