'05 Octavia II 'Stream' HU to iPod connection

I have for some time researching how to connect an iPod to my '05 Octavia II 'Stream' HU. It seems there are two ways to go.

1. Disconnect the 6CD (boot mounted) autochanger plug at the HU end and plug in a device that can connect the iPod to the HU & control the iPod via the HU controls. This obviously renders the 6CD autochanger inoperable (not to much of a loss as the Stream' HU has a built in CD player anyway)

2. Disconnect the 6CD autochanger plug at the HU end and plug it into a device which will take an audio input from the iPod and plug that device back into the HU. This device will have some means of switching between CD or iPod audio feeds. This method means that the iPod has to be located somewhere on the dashboard to control it.

Over all I favour option 1. This is because anthing that I would play in the 6CD autochanger I can load into and play from the iPod and I like the idea of being able to hide the iPod in (for example) the glove box and controlling it from the buttons on the HU.

The problem is I don't know which device is connector compatable with my '05 Octavia II 'Stream' HU. Retailers refer to CAN-BUS, ISO & DIN Connectors.

Can anyone identify them and tell me what sort they are?

I have included some photos of the connectors used on my Stream HU. they are a bit out of focus but you get the general idea.

The brown block are the speaker wires, the blue block (which is inserted into a cradle that plugs into the whole plug) is the connector to the 6CD changer and the other wires in the black area are for????????????

StreamHU.jpg

StreamHUPins.jpg

StreamHUPlug.jpg

StreamHUPlugWires.jpg

The Skoda genuine kit comes with the parts you need to connect it to the headunit. There is some info and pictures about it on my website. It's a Denison Icelink Plus but without the cradle.

see below reply to a question I asked my local Skoda garage

Hi.

The Stream radios are made in Portugal by Visleon. I think skoda

finished with grundig on grounds of quality!

Skoda have recently launched the following::

Part Number: ZGB000051852

Description: Ice>Link Quadlock Ipod Connector

Information: Fitting time 50 TU

Detail: iPod interface cable that allows intergration with Apple iPod

into the vehicle audio system via CD Changer output connection. Allows

for charging of the iPod battery whilst connected (ignition live).

Installation of interface cable will disable the use of the 6 disc CD

autochanger if fitted. Glove box positioned connector for added security -

optional dash mounted bracket. Can be sourced locally if required.

Interface lead not suitable for use with iPod Shuffle.

Application: New Octavia

*RRP:

I have ordered an iPod interface for my vRS, I hope to fit it this weekend, will post some pictures when it's done.

I have ordered the Audi kit from work - it should all work and will save me a few quid if it does - if it doesnt no harm done.

see below reply to a question I asked my local Skoda garage

Hi.

The Stream radios are made in Portugal by Visleon. I think skoda

finished with grundig on grounds of quality!

Skoda have recently launched the following::

Part Number: ZGB000051852

Description: Ice>Link Quadlock Ipod Connector

Information: Fitting time 50 TU

Detail: iPod interface cable that allows intergration with Apple iPod

into the vehicle audio system via CD Changer output connection. Allows

for charging of the iPod battery whilst connected (ignition live).

Installation of interface cable will disable the use of the 6 disc CD

autochanger if fitted. Glove box positioned connector for added security -

optional dash mounted bracket. Can be sourced locally if required.

Interface lead not suitable for use with iPod Shuffle.

Application: New Octavia

*RRP:

£ 99.99

'>HTTP://www.skoda.co.uk/skoda3g/content/showroom/accessories/accessories.aspx?model=newoctavia&category=Audio%20/%20Communications&subcategory=iPod%20Interface%20Lead>

Havn`t seen this item yet so can`t give you any more than the web

address on the accessory web site.

Graham Newcombe

Parts Manager

:cool:

:thumbup: SO I'VE ORDERED ONE!!!!!!:)

Got one. Don't get them to fit it as it's just as easy to do it yourself.

It works fine on a Stream radio.........

...shame mines an Audience :( (Skoda UK are looking into why it does not work and what the solution to it is).

If you look carefully at the top picture you can see 4 Torx screws that you need to remove. You'll also need to remove the plastic dash surround first which just pulls off.

Just as Stu says, the facia surround just pulls off.

Reach in between the ashtray and the bottom of the the surround with your palm facing up, curl your fingers up-wards, and grip the surround at the bottom.

Pull out-wards and the surround will separate from the facia.

The surround is held in place all the way round with flanges with hooks (or detents) that engage a strip that runs all the way around the HU.

Working round both sides from the bottom pull the rest of the surround away, releasing the detents with a tool if necessary (some thing thin and stiff like a steel ruler) inserted between the facia surround and the dashboard to release the detents.

With the surround set aside the four corners of the HU can then be pried off to reveal 4 x M20 Torx screws that secure the HU.

Loosen the 4 screws taking care not to let them fall either into the HU or out of their recesses.

With the screws removed and set aside the HU can be withdrawn partly out of it's hole enough to disconnect the ariel plug.

:color: **WARNING**Do not just pull the plug off, as this will break the retaining clip that helps to holds the ariel plug securely in place when the HU is in situ.

It should be removed by pressing a release clip on the bottom of the plug (opposite the cable entry into the plug) and drawing the right angle plug off the HU socket.

With the ariel plug removed the HU can be withdrawn further from it's hole to release the cable plug block assembly.

This is done by rotating the plastic frame locking lever that is attached to the plug block assembly so as to release the whole thing from the back of the HU.

The HU is now free from the car!!

The plug block assembly is made up of several sub assemblies, one of which is a frame containing (in my case) the blue connector that holds the 6CD changer wires.

This frame can be released from the plug block assembly by pressing a clip and withdrawing the the frame and connector.

The connector can be separated from it's frame if required.

Rebuild is basically removal in reverse with particular attention to rotating the plastic frame locking lever to secure the plug block assembly and care when replacing the Torx screws.

The facia surround just presses back into place.

Hope this has helped.

Good tip above regading the aerial, I guy who fits car kits told me the same. He also mentioned to be careful with pin inside aerial connection.

These pics might help :)

http://s49.photobucket.com/albums/f261/GAFFRS/Parrot%20Install/

Btw if your stuck for room and have Climate control theres plenty of room behind the display, only a couple of screws to remove.

I was also told theres room above the radio, you can take out the top storage compartment, I didn't do it. Possibly 1 screw holding it down and it pops out....so I'm told ;)

I was also told theres room above the radio, you can take out the top storage compartment, I didn't do it. Possibly 1 screw holding it down and it pops out....so I'm told ;)

There is a little room, but not much. To remove it IIRC there are no screws, just clips in place but it needs quite a tug to get it out.

• 1 month later...

Hi Guys

I bought an Icelink from Ipod my car and after four months of emails to tech support I was told that it was incompatible with my car. I can now see from this string that it is totaly compatible but that my interface lead is slightly different from the one on Stu's website.

My cable doesn't have the brown wire going to the small black connector. Can anyone tell me what the black connector attaches to, and what pin on the 12 pin quadlock connector the brown wire goes to?

I assume the other brown wire is attached to the stereo case like mine.

Regards

Chris

I'm not 100 % Chris but my money would be on a power supply.

VAG use that type of connector when they need to 'piggy back' an existing connector. You would normally remove the crimped termination from the existing plug and then add in the new 'loop'.

It could be to power the icelink or charge the ipod - or both.

I don't have one mate unfortunately.

Might I suggest a trip to a friendly dealer, be it VW, SEAT or Skoda and ask if they have some instruction or info you could look at.

I know Jeff (Roo) is having trouble with a genuine Skoda kit and the upgraded Octy II headunit - which one that is I can't say I'm afraid, is it Audience?

No it is a Symphony, but I think I will pop in to the local dealer and ask them. When I went in December they hadn't even heard of an Ipod connection kit , but they are getting more popular now. I might even try buying the correct cable of the web.

Thanks

Chris

Hi Guys

I bought an Icelink from Ipod my car and after four months of emails to tech support I was told that it was incompatible with my car. I can now see from this string that it is totaly compatible but that my interface lead is slightly different from the one on Stu's website.

My cable doesn't have the brown wire going to the small black connector. Can anyone tell me what the black connector attaches to' date=' and what pin on the 12 pin quadlock connector the brown wire goes to?

I assume the other brown wire is attached to the stereo case like mine.

Regards

Chris[/quote']

The spare wire attaches to an earth (the screw at the back of the radio cavity should be ok)

• 4 months later...

'ello guys, first post, so "Hi" . ;)

That Skoda iPod link set, how well does it interface with the stream unit? Basically the questions boil down to:

Can you control the music played from the iPod main screen and the iPod's own controls?

Does the Stream display anything relating to tracks or track names on its own display?