What does the RED icon mean on the radio

On the display on the radio ...to the left of the clock there is a red icon ... I can't make out what it is supposed to be.

There is a car with what looks like a sign post sticking out of it and to the left ...  I have thought it was supposed to be world ... but why and why in red.

Then again it could be a face ..... in any event what is it supposed to mean ? .... can't fin it in the manual.

I asked dealer - they had no idea.

radio.jpg

It is our planet and its red because your infotainment system not online...

Get a sim card or turn on your phone HOTSPOT and youll see its going white and your system is online...

Edited by fuzzz

Thanks.

What benefit is there to going on-line ..... Maps connect to GPS, Phone connected by BT .... what does on-line give ?

Edited by Sargan

Sack your dealer!

The symbols are explained in the handbook, under “online services” (page 14 in mine).

Going online upgrades what services you get (the car goes online to find extra information).  For example, without it, the nav system will get traffic information via radio signals - better than none, but a bit crude and slow.  By going online, it gets VERY up to date traffic info, and displays exactly where any queues, accidents, etc, are in map form when you press for traffic info.  It also allows you to enter things like “Alcide Hotel”, rather than the actual address of it.  If you ask the satnav for nearest petrol station, it’ll list the nearest ones - with their prices per litre.

Less importantly (to me) it gives the ability to read the news headlines and weather, and know which carparks have vacancies.

E89855FE-B927-4E55-BEC5-8E4C230FF4AE.png

OK .. had the car a year and not tried this .... had nothing on this during handover.

Assume it hits the Data charges on your phone pretty hard though ..... as all data will be via 3G/4G and not WiFi

Isn't this a bit of a faff .... I woud have to enable phone as a hotspot .. each time I get in car, and remember to disable or no WiFi

Does it allow remote locking of car ... that seems a useful idea.

Edited by Sargan

4 minutes ago, Sargan said:

OK .. had the car a year and not tried this .... had nothing on this during handover.

Assume it hits the Data charges on your phone pretty hard though ..... as all data will be via 3G/4G and not WiFi

Does it allow remote locking of car ... that seems a useful idea.

Did you register for Skoda Connect when you picked the car up? If not... you might still get your free year.

No, it doesn't use all that much data to be honest - as long as you don't start downloading map updates anyway. But what is the cost of a couple of GB/month compared to the cost of the car? (not that it uses anywhere near that much!)

And finally - no, you can't remote lock the car. Well, not before MY19 cars anyway...

Yes I did but never used it ... Dealer gave me no details of what is could of so I didn't bother.

Can you get free 2nd year or this definitely a purchase - If you only get t his free for a year .. then that kills it, car a year old in a few weeks ..... not going to buy a service.

54 minutes ago, Sargan said:

Can you get free 2nd year or this definitely a purchase - If you only get t his free for a year .. then that kills it, car a year old in a few weeks ..... not going to buy a service.

Nope, only free* for a year. If you renew before the end of March, it'll cost you £36 for the Remote Access service (usually £54) and/or £44 for the Infotainment Online service (normally £63). You should have had several emails by now telling you this...

Remote Access is the stuff in the app that allows you to see if the car is locked / lights on / parking location etc.

Infotainment Online is the stuff that allows you to use Google Maps in the Nav, and everything under the 'Skoda Connect' menu.

I honestly can't believe you haven't been curious enough to find out about this until now! It's a miracle I got home from the dealer in one piece because I think I spend most of the journey playing with all the menu options and settings :D.

*I doubt it's actually free at all - pretty sure you're paying for it in the cost of the car...

Does the car come with a SIM for the 1st year or is that something you have to get? I see references to people getting a one use data SIM that lasts quite a long time if you don’t do online map updates? 

Ive got a 2.0 Tsi SEL on order and I’m still confused what this will do over Apple CarPlay and Google Maps app which seems to work quite well?

Thanks

Jason

41 minutes ago, WiggosSideburns said:

I honestly can't believe you haven't been curious enough to find out about this until now!

I did connect but to be honest not interested in using my phone through Skoda Connect, and I have the large screen GPS so not going to use maps on my phone.

Was not aware of anything else it gave me ... and as 1 yr is about up not going to find out either.

3 hours ago, Sargan said:

Isn't this a bit of a faff .... I woud have to enable phone as a hotspot .. each time I get in car, and remember to disable or no WiFi

You don't have to use your phone, there is a SIM card slot in the glovebox.

Stick a free 4G data-only SIM in there. I get 200Mb free per month so it costs me nothing.

Not that I'm convinced it's all that effective. Sometimes the globe is white, mostly (and usually when I'm most likely to benefit), its red...

Mine does have a SIM card in the slot (£27.99 for up to 12 months and up to 12GB) and usually shows a white globe.  Every now and then, though, the globe comes up red.  However, when I check by using data - pull up the news, say - it does so just fine!  

9 hours ago, DaveMiller said:

Mine does have a SIM card in the slot (£27.99 for up to 12 months and up to 12GB) and usually shows a white globe.  Every now and then, though, the globe comes up red.  However, when I check by using data - pull up the news, say - it does so just fine!  

Mine has just started doing that this week, spend ages searching to see if I had inadvertently turned something off, but the data connection is fine, weird. 

Searched online and it seems quite common and suggest doing reset and it comes back. Seems a hassle, think I will just ignore the red globe as its working fine.

Travelling down the M1 last week, both Waze on my phone and Google Maps on my wife's phone alerted us to a section of stationary traffic and diverted us off at junction 15, missing the issue at 14 and bringing us back on at 13.

As we passed close to Newport Pagnell on the side roads we saw the M1 gridlocked.

The inbuilt sat nav would have happily had us join the tailback. Maps recently updated and a fully working SIM in the glove box.

I'll be sticking to Waze via Android Auto now.

Edited by silver1011
  • Like 1

51 minutes ago, silver1011 said:

I'll be sticking to Waze via Android Auto now.

Last summer Waze would have left me for 1,5 hours in traffic jam near Warsaw, if not having TomTom Android running on backround, which saved our arses redirecting us.

So, cannot completely trust anything.

All the ‘advance warnings’ come from Mobile phone data.

As you move from cell to cell the speed of changing identifies traffic flow .... mobile companies sell that data feed to Sat Nav providers .... so it depends what they pay for and from whom.

In camera equipped areas it is supplemented by data from main control room.

I don't use my phone to navigate when in the Kodiaq.  The inbuilt system (with SIM card) seems to do a splendid job of keeping me informed.  I've had a few times where it suddenly tells me traffic is stopped ahead - and I can see it, less than half a mile ahead, actually still forming the slowdown, as though the traffic began to bunch just seconds ago! 

3 hours ago, DaveMiller said:

I don't use my phone to navigate when in the Kodiaq.  The inbuilt system (with SIM card) seems to do a splendid job of keeping me informed.  I've had a few times where it suddenly tells me traffic is stopped ahead - and I can see it, less than half a mile ahead, actually still forming the slowdown, as though the traffic began to bunch just seconds ago! 

I’m similar, I have the Google Earth map on the screen all the time, and you can see roads local turning red and the queuing traffic symbol appear in almost real time, and it’s easy to see if alternative route is clear or if everyone else has had the same idea to divert and it’s queued too.

Oh and my red globe reappeared today.

Edited by Kenny R
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, silver1011 said:

How do you use the SIM to get Google Maps?

Android Auto.

But Google Earth was earlier supported by Columbus itself, if I am not wrong?

Edited by linni
  • Like 1