Is Kamiq the new Yeti?

Expatman

33 minutes ago, PeterKn said:

Thanks for that Expatman, those are maybe the first reassuring words I've heard on the DQ200! I do like it to drive. 

I can offer some more, vaquely positive, thoughts on the DQ200 too.  But they do come with a proviso or two.

I bought mine new in 2011 and still have it. There's the first positive.

The DSG hasn't given any problems since my dealer changed the clutch pack and changed the oil as part of the Skoda campaign when the car was still under warranty. 

However (a) my mileage is only 33,000 and (b) I generally drive it (especially when pulling away from a stop)  as though the clutch was made of compressed eggshells and would disintegrate if I pulled away too sharply.

I honestly don't trust it to handle hard use in the way a torque converter would (I also have a car with a torque converter).

But I like the car (and the transmission) enough to have kept it all this time and (in my opinion) am walking the tightrope of an expensive DSG problem.  Hence treating it with kid gloves coz I really, really am too much of a tight wad to want to spend a couple of grand on something that's lost much of it's value by now.

1 minute ago, oldstan said:

I can offer some more, vaquely positive, thoughts on the DQ200 too.  But they do come with a proviso or two.

I bought mine new in 2011 and still have it. There's the first positive.

The DSG hasn't given any problems since my dealer changed the clutch pack and changed the oil as part of the Skoda campaign when the car was still under warranty. 

However (a) my mileage is only 33,000 and (b) I generally drive it (especially when pulling away from a stop)  as though the clutch was made of compressed eggshells and would disintegrate if I pulled away too sharply.

I honestly don't trust it to handle hard use in the way a torque converter would (I also have a car with a torque converter).

But I like the car (and the transmission) enough to have kept it all this time and (in my opinion) am walking the tightrope of an expensive DSG problem.  Hence treating it with kid gloves coz I really, really am too much of a tight wad to want to spend a couple of grand on something that's lost much of it's value by now.

I must say that the DSG box on my 2017 Yeti is superior to that fitted to my 2012 Yeti - but as it has had 5 years of development to iron out potential problems then that’s to be expected. I drive my Yeti normally - not boy racer style at all but then not slow either, just normally! As I said before the 2017 box is smoother and is much better programmed for quick get aways when entering roundabouts or merging into fast moving traffic.

All received, XP. Ta.

Yesterday, when I happened to mention the Berlingo to my Mrs., she said how much she likes the Yeti and would be very sorry if it went.

If they still made it I would almost certainly have bought a new (petrol) one with an extended warranty.  With the DSG gearbox.

If my mileage was higher it could have been a diesel, with the tougher transmission,  but, regrettably, they don't. And I don't want to go for a late, used, one.

Hence spending time wondering what else comes close. Hence pondering on a Kia Niro or a Berlingo ...both tallish and not huge - but with the Kia having a longer warranty and a transmission that you might hope Kia wouldn't prevaricate over fixing it it went wrong.

Edited by oldstan

On 17/06/2019 at 10:43, Skoffski said:

Just as well there is the Peugeot Rifter available & in 2 lengths, as well as the Sister cars from Citroen & Vauxhall.

Lovely vehicles the Rifter IMO.

I'm not disagreeing that the Rifter is as fine, as you say - but given that the Citroen  (and the Vauxhall) are very similar, apart from cosmetics, would you have the same expressions of favour for the other two?

As I might have said before, clearly, for some, it would be the convenience of where the dealer is sited or whether they like they're local dealer or the colour or even the price for the total package.

Very different finished inside, I looked at all 3 earlier this year to have from Motability, the different trims,

the Vauxhall Dealer a mile away and the Combo Life is pretty basic,  the Citroen dealers i have dealt with before and was disinterested and the Peugeot Dealership is dead helpful, lent me one for 3 days and i really liked it.

Then the Advance Payment increased and i lost interest.  Maybe in the future i would buy a used one.

Easy in and easy out and loads of carrying space if seats not needed.  I thought i would go for the long one but found i did not need that.

KIA Dealership next to the Vauxhall one, same owners, i had a Kia Picanto Auto for 7 years and i was getting a Niro, had one on loan for a week, & really like it, but a towbar can not be fitted, then the e-Niro is perfect as well, easy in and easy out, 

but again cant tow, so waiting to see about the e-Soul and what the story is there, and will it be on the Motability list next year.

(there is mention of UK KIa Hybrids or EV's getting a Tow Pack option. Time will tell.)

Edited by Skoffski
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

Decided not to wait for the Kamiq so have just ordered a VW T-Cross 1.0 in Turquoise.

The engine will take a bit of getting used to after the 1.4TSI and the 1.6 diesel before.

Its a bit smaller than the Yeti but the seating position feels reasonably high.

Delivery end of year-ish when my PCH on the Yeti runs out.

Will miss the Yeti ....

3 hours ago, rarrar said:

Decided not to wait for the Kamiq so have just ordered a VW T-Cross 1.0 in Turquoise.

The engine will take a bit of getting used to after the 1.4TSI and the 1.6 diesel before.

Its a bit smaller than the Yeti but the seating position feels reasonably high.

Delivery end of year-ish when my PCH on the Yeti runs out.

Will miss the Yeti ....

I know a lot of people on here will be very interested to hear how you rate the T Cross - how did you find the test drive?

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Expatman said:

I know a lot of people on here will be very interested to hear how you rate the T Cross - how did you find the test drive?

The test car was fitted with  215/45 R18 tyres and didnt feel good on the bad surface of the small country roads I went on.

Assuming hopefully that the standard 205/55 R17 tyres will be much better.

The 1.0 3 cylinder engine will take some getting used to after the 1.4tsi but it was fine .

Brakes were quite fierce far lighter than the Yeti's. 

The rear seat could be moved a long way forward, far further than the Yeti's rear seats and this gave a good amount of space in the boot. 

Driving position and visibility were good - felt a lot better than when I sat in a T-Roc or the Seat Arona.

The optional large Info Display was far superior to the Yeti's ,  with the SatNav map size and position far more visible for the driver.

Overall - I don't need a car as big as a Yeti and a smaller engine and 2WD will be fine for the vast majority of our driving. 

If the folding electric mirrors had been standard might well have bought a stock or ex demo t-cross in SEL trim.

Heavens only knows why makers fit such low profile tyres to vehicles like the T Cross or Yeti, I guess it all comes down to profit because low profile tyres wear more quickly - if they aren’t destroyed by curbing or pot holes first - then they cost more to replace so extra money to the tyre makers who have offered great deals to the car makers to fit them in the first place. The UK has some of the worst road surfaces in Europe but we all, apparently, want stupid low profile tyres so we can have an uncomfortable ride as we proceed at snails pace over our rutted and pot-holed roads. But low profile tyres have the edge when it comes to road holding and feel I hear you say, but when on the UK’s congested roads do we ever have the opportunity (if we wanted to) to exploit that 'superior’ roadholding and demonstrate the ‘advantages’ of low profile tyres. The answer is never for the vast majority of drivers yet we are still stuck with the discomfort of low profile tyres unless we can convince the manufacturer to make a special case for us and fit higher profile tyres. I have done that twice with Skoda getting them to fit 16” wheels in place of the standard 17” wheels on new Yeti’s.

When I come to replace my current Yeti will VW (or whoever) be prepared to fit a high spec vehicle with high profile tyres?

Incidentally I can’t believe VW fit 45 profile tyres to the T Cross, hopefully the 55 profile tyres will give a much better ride - couldn’t you try one with 55 profile tyres?

215/45 R 18 is not really 'low profile',  they are what they are.

the sidewall 45% of 215mm

205/40 R17 might be called low profile or 225/35 R 18.   

'They' go with what some might think is 'sporty'.   

Style over function is often the way with VW Group models.   Wheels and tyre sizes that limit the choice of winter tyres being a common issue.

Like many Yeti owners considering the T-Cross as a replacement for the much loved Yeti. Have test drove both T-Cross in SEL and R-Line spec, prefer the look of the R-Line spec, but had concerned over the lower profile R18 tyre on R-Line, however thought it rode ok, however did notice how much better the Yeti drove on its R17 after the test drive, in comparison to the T-Cross R-Line. As others have commented manufacturers go for looks over comfort.

Nearly placed an order but VW dealer would not offer anything above the standard VW offer and trade-in value for Yeti was at the low end.  Did ask about R17 on R-Line but dealer said no!

Going to try another VW dealer, slightly further away from home, but also going to hang on until Kamiq is released, but prefer the look of the T-Cross vs Kamiq, Karoq is too big for my needs.  Having paid the balloon payment time is on my side, to allow me to continue looking and enjoy the Yeti a little longer.

TR7 driver, what about the Audi Q2. Depending on spec you can have 16, 17, 18 or 19" rims. The Sport spec has  215 55 R17. https://www.uk.audi.com/uk/web/en/models/q2/q2/trim-line.html#layer=/uk/web/en/models/q2/q2.mediathek_infolayer.trimline_trimline_sport.html

Colin

..looking to change our Yeti, and after trying to find something "similar" I to have started to look closer at the A2 option as it seems to tick most of the boxes. Problem is the "sport" spec has most of what I want, but I hate the "colour flash" interior bits...just makes it look a little "tacky" IMHO....

Stubod, I'm guessing you mean Q2 and not A2. When swapping from my Yeti I was put off by the boot size and some trims/colours. The A3 I bought has a bigger boot than the Yeti and a very upmarket feel to the cabin.

Colin

.oops, yes typo... should be Q2! I have also been looking at the A3 as an option as I like the 1.0 ltr engine. However I thought the Yeti boot would be bigger (quoted as 416 ltr (seats up), compared to A3 quoted as 380??

My Yeti had a full size spare wheel  and as such a boot capacity of only 322L. In the Audi I sourced a spacesaver as you cannot order a factory fit. The difference between the two is an increase in boot height of about 100mm. When caravanning I fit a table top fridge and a freezer side by side. In the Yeti I had to remove the parcel shelf whilst in the Audi I have a good 80mm  or so space under the parcel shelf. Admittedly this equates to the difference in wheel size. The footprint/floor of the boot is dam near identical as you would expect being the two cars are developed off the same floor pan. I have nipped the front edges off the rubber Yeti boot mat and use this in the Audi.

Colin

11 hours ago, eribaMotters said:

TR7 driver, what about the Audi Q2. Depending on spec you can have 16, 17, 18 or 19" rims. The Sport spec has  215 55 R17. https://www.uk.audi.com/uk/web/en/models/q2/q2/trim-line.html#layer=/uk/web/en/models/q2/q2.mediathek_infolayer.trimline_trimline_sport.html

Colin

Q2 is on my short list, although dealer not as handy as VW or ŠKODA, not sure my budget stretches to Audi as coming out more pricey, although an ex demo Audi maybe an option.

Try Carwow and Carnet. My A3 spec came in at £23K instead of the list price of £28K. I achieved this by taking out the pcp deal of a £3k manufacturers discount in addition to a dealer discount. This gave me a lower price than a cash sale [they will do p/x if needed] and I paid off the debt a few days later.

Colin

3 hours ago, TR7Driver said:

Q2 is on my short list, although dealer not as handy as VW or ŠKODA, not sure my budget stretches to Audi as coming out more pricey, although an ex demo Audi maybe an option.

I don't know how they sell demo cars to be honest. When I bought my A6 Avant it was cheaper to buy new because of the manufacturers discount and lower interest rate.

On 21/07/2019 at 06:01, Roottootemoot said:

215/45 R 18 is not really 'low profile',  they are what they are.

the sidewall 45% of 215mm

205/40 R17 might be called low profile or 225/35 R 18.   

45 profile tyres were fitted to the Octavia VRS on 17" wheels. They are quite low profile for an SUV.

If they were actually SUV's, Suburban Utility Vehicle / Sport Utility Vehicle, or even a small MPV / Multi Purpose Vehicle unless all cars are Multi Purpose people carriers, but they are not as the 'sales spinners' like to class them.

They are cars, just tall cars,

Just FWD VW T-Cross.  Nothing SUV about them. 

Maybe they can call them a Crossover with a 1.0TSI or 1.6TDI. 95 or 115ps. Might as well have the correct suspension for a comfortable ride and not cushioning by tall sidewalls.

Another good review vid from a BRISKODA member.

Choices /Options have to be limited to reduce the amount of testing and certification required.

Screenshot 2019-07-22 at 09.38.01.png

Edited by Roottootemoot

On 21/07/2019 at 08:38, TR7Driver said:

Nearly placed an order but VW dealer would not offer anything above the standard VW offer and trade-in value for Yeti was at the low end.  Did ask about R17 on R-Line but dealer said no!

I got about £800 proper discount ( could have got another £200 much further away) plus getting £750 more by taking out finance and then cancelling finance within 14 days .  Dealer will sort it all out with us in the showroom.

I did notice the bottom end S model has 16" wheels !

Edited by rarrar
extra material

18 hours ago, eribaMotters said:

Try Carwow and Carnet. My A3 spec came in at £23K instead of the list price of £28K. I achieved this by taking out the pcp deal of a £3k manufacturers discount in addition to a dealer discount. This gave me a lower price than a cash sale [they will do p/x if needed] and I paid off the debt a few days later.

Colin

How did you pay off the PCP “in a few days” without incurring any extra costs? It annoyed me that I seemed to have paid more buying cash than if I had done a PCP deal, if you can pay it off in a few days without incurring costs then why didn’t anyone in the selling chain tell me???????

1 minute ago, Expatman said:

How did you pay off the PCP “in a few days” without incurring any extra costs? It annoyed me that I seemed to have paid more buying cash than if I had done a PCP deal, if you can pay it off in a few days without incurring costs then why didn’t anyone in the selling chain tell me???????

Because they want you to pay them lots of lovely interest.:crying:

2 minutes ago, shyVRS245 said:

Because they want you to pay them lots of lovely interest.:crying:

Okay - but practically how do you do it? Who do you contact and, I assume, they are resistant to you paying it off so did you have to fight to get them to give you figures and payment?