Diff, transfer box, haldex oils OEM only?

bob32123

Have 2010 2.0 170 Yeti coming up for 340,000 miles. Have changed haldex and diff oils previously but do i need to keep buying insanely priced OEM oils for this purpose? Is there an equivalent to part number G 052 145 S2, and if so would it be ok ? Thanks. Bob 

That insanely expensive oil worked a treat I would have thought.

Congratulations on the mileage .......deserves a blog of its own ?.

Have you also been changing the filter each time, as that seems to kill the haldex when it blocks up, and Skoda refuse to accept it exists. Quite often the haldex is not even working and the driver doesn't realise until he needs 4x4 to cope with a situation and it just isn't there.

Purely out of interest Is your car still on the original DPF and has it had EGR issues? Any other expensive repairs needed so far?

9 hours ago, widdershins said:

From the googling I've done there are only two companies supplying haldex oil, Burma-Castrol and Statoil.  I've not seen anyone selling it for much less than the OEM skoda stuff.

Burmah Castrol disappeared 19 years ago!

If you have a Volvo dealer nearby I use Volvo part number 31367941 as they use the same Haldex unit in thier cars it’s only £17 a litre at my local main dealer. Used with no problems in my Ford Kuga upto 200k and my current Octavia Scout up to 150k so far.

• Like 1

On 10/03/2019 at 10:13, kenfowler3966 said:

Have you also been changing the filter each time, as that seems to kill the haldex when it blocks up, and Skoda refuse to accept it exists. Quite often the haldex is not even working and the driver doesn't realise until he needs 4x4 to cope with a situation and it just isn't there.

Purely out of interest Is your car still on the original DPF and has it had EGR issues? Any other expensive repairs needed so far?

My Yeti is a 2010 and there is not a filter listed for this year. I double checked with Skoda main agent and they said it doesn’t have one. I’m aware that later models have them. Car still on original DPF but that’s probably because I do a lot of motorway driving. It had a EGR valve at 230k but it was an easy fix because it was on the front of the engine unlike a lot of them which I believe are buried down the back. As regards oils I have gone for OEM for the Haldex and Febi Bilstein for diffs, transfer box and gearbox. My mechanic used Febi when he did my gearbox 170k ago and I’ve had no issues. 

Edited by bob32123
Misspelled

27 minutes ago, bob32123 said:

My Yeti is a 2010 and there is not a filter listed for this year. I double checked with Skoda main agent and they said it doesn’t have one.

Skoda say the same about the Gen5:

Funny how Rustynuts managed to photograph it...

See also this post and subsequent in a thread from 2016.

Skoda (and the rest of VAG I believe) don't list the filter as a spare because they've chosen to regard the Haldex as "sealed for life".  Volvo don't do that: you can buy Haldex filters from Volvo dealers, and people on here have reported success in using the equivalent Volvo part in the Haldex units in their Skodas.

EDIT: kenfowler3966 beat me to it.

Edited by ejstubbs

1 hour ago, kenfowler3966 said:

Skoda say none of them have filters but the Haldex 4 has a replaceable one, which I think should be in your car, and the later Haldex 5 really needs opening to clean the fixed lilter screen.

I’ll report back next week. Car going on the ramp then so I’ll get my mechanic to double check for filter. On the subject, don’t you think it’s dead annoying that there is absolutely no information in the service book for gearbox, diff or Haldex oil changes ? When my car was being serviced at the main dealer under the previous owner, they had to add another line of their own on the schedule to state that the Haldex oil was actually changed. Pretty slack on Skoda’s part. 

2010 Yetis do have a filter. I know this because mine was blocked despite having the correct oil changes and the pump had burnt out.

Skoda denies it exists but they would wouldn't they.

https://www.haldexrepairs.co.uk/shop/filters/generation-gen-4-filter-kit-vw-audi-seat-skoda/

Edited by idleness
  • Like 1

If the haldex is sealed to the outside and the oil is changed regularly where does the muck come from? The photos show quite large bits of debre surely these don’t come off the Haldex itself.

Not sealed totally. Not a vacuum. There are seals.  Just like with Brake Systems & Gearboxes.

There is heat and expansion and contraction and moisture / H20 which needs breathers. 

Hence Off Road 4x4's that go wading get extended Axle & Diff Breathers. (some do..)

• 5 weeks later...

Just had my Haldex, diff and transfer box oils renewed. The diff and transfer box were done after 70,000 miles, not 40,000 as Skoda recommend, and the old oil looked pretty clean, so

no issues there. I was told initially by Skoda main agent that there wasn’t a filter for the Haldex but yes there was. I got one online for £40. Now I don’t know if this has ever been changed before. It’s not recorded in the service book, and the car is on 340,000 miles. Anyhow, it did look a bit dirty but the 4x4 is working fine but glad I located it and had it changed. As mentioned a few weeks ago, I don’t rush to get diff and Haldex oils done at recommended intervals, last time I did that my mechanic told me I was wasting money as the old oil was so pristine clean. 

People will continue doing Preventative Maintenance to reduce risk of damage and expensive failures.

That is what Service Guidelines and Schedules are about.

Plenty will have gone 4, 5 or more years and 40,000 miles plus with no issues, and clean draining of the consumables.

Others now change at 3 years / 30,000 miles just because the Guidelines were changed from people with unfortunate experiences.

It’s only the Haldex that has a recommendation to change at 40k.

Transfer box I am not sure about, but differential is not normally serviced?

Mind you at your miles it is probably worth doing and good to hear the Haldex can last that long without a filter change.

11 hours ago, bob32123 said:

I don’t rush to get diff and Haldex oils done at recommended intervals, last time I did that my mechanic told me I was wasting money as the old oil was so pristine clean. 

If the Haldex clutch is not engaging for any reason the oil will not get dirty or degrade, are you sure it's working?

Definitely working perfectly. I live in North Wales and work for the ambulance service driving people up mountainsides and through farmyards all week long. The 4x4 kicks in on a regular basis in these challenging conditions. The Yeti is such a fabulous durable car, would be hard to find a suitable replacement should I ever need to. 

16 hours ago, Skoffski said:

People will continue doing Preventative Maintenance to reduce risk of damage and expensive failures.

That is what Service Guidelines and Schedules are about.

Plenty will have gone 4, 5 or more years and 40,000 miles plus with no issues, and clean draining of the consumables.

Others now change at 3 years / 30,000 miles just because the Guidelines were changed from people with unfortunate experiences.