Yeti 2.0 tdi 4x4 - long term reliability?

Freestayl

Hi guys, this is my first post here on the forum, but I have been a regular visitor for a while. I have a question regarding Yeti reliability.

I have a 2013 2.0 tdi Yeti with 110hp, 4x4, and I have done approximately 120k miles. I like the car as it is very versatile, has a good fuel consumption and its 4x4 has proven to be very useful as I live in an country which has a lot of steep hills (such as the Alps) and during the winter we get a lot of snow. Anyway, back to my question: Until now I have not had any serious problem, besides changing an ABS module (for the cost of 1500 eur) last year and regular servicing which includes changing the cambelts, waterpump and other must do stuff.

I would like to ask you guys, who drive similar car and have more miles on the clock that I have, what are your experiences with Yeti's reliability, if you have any serious problems, what are servicing costs?

I am asking this because I do not know if I should sell the car and get newer one or if I should just keep it and drive it until it brakes down completely ...

I have asked the same question Honest John, who I admire a lot (https://www.honestjohn.co.uk/) and got an answer from him to sell the car as soon as possible.

thank you for your thoughts and good luck on the roads!

Too young to contribute but 'chapeau' to bob32123 for the useful response.

Confirms that my Yeti will probably outlast me (and with the rear seats removed 'me in my box' will probably fit in the back)

• Haha 2

Useful info from bob32123, and impressive mileage! Had my 2012 yeti 2.0 4x4 170 6 years, 60,000, so just about run in now. No problems. No plans on changing my yeti, love it, does everything i need a car to do. 

• Like 1

bob32123, You mentioned changing the haldex and diff oils is required at 40k, and delaying it to 50k.

I understood that it should actually be 30k for the haldex and others think even that is too long suggesting every 20k. Has your Haldex lasted the distance, and did you have the filter changed each time?

I understood that the diff oil had no oil change interval required though?

My 2012 4x4 tdi (110) is just creeping up to 70k miles. Only work I've had is to change brake pads. It's used offroad a lot of the time, and so far it has been bulletproof. No plans to change it, even if all my mates say I am too young for one! (29). 

IMG_20190224_084658.jpg

IMG_20181121_132036.jpg

IMG_20181206_122759.jpg

1 minute ago, Ardbeg said:

Not quite on topic -- sorry -- but I'm intrigued by WelshYeti's roofrack.  What is it and where did you get it?

It's an ancient Thule 581 I believe, I had it years ago on an old Beetle and just kept hold of it! 

Had a 2012 yeti from new.  It's a 140 tdi  4x4, elegance spec with a panoroof.  65k on the clock now.

So far, the following work has needed to be done above the usual servicing.

1.  New clutch, flywheel, clutch master cylinder, and repair to the punctured gearbox casing where a bit of the failed clutch pressure plate punched through.  Clearly a defective clutch component.

2. New haldex pump.  Clogged up and burnt out due to Skoda not speccing the correct service requirements.

3. New drivers door loom.  The usual broken wires due to poor design.

4. Two sets of brake discs and pads, replaced due to corrosion, not wearing out.

Still love the car though, just not Skoda so much....

Andy.

On 12/03/2019 at 17:57, kenfowler3966 said:

bob32123, You mentioned changing the haldex and diff oils is required at 40k, and delaying it to 50k.

I understood that it should actually be 30k for the haldex and others think even that is too long suggesting every 20k. Has your Haldex lasted the distance, and did you have the filter changed each time?

I understood that the diff oil had no oil change interval required though?

Yeh I know the Haldex is more important than for instance the diffs and transfer box, but last time I had the Haldex oil changed at 40k the oil came out pristine clean, so my mechanic said it would be ok to leave it for at least 60k. I think a lot of these recommended mileage changes are purely to give main agents more profit. Having Haldex, rear diff, transfer box and gearbox/front diff done next week. Haldex/rear diff/transfer box have done about 70k on current oil and gearbox/front diff have done 170k with no issues. There is no filter on my Haldex, i double checked at Skoda main agent and there isn’t one listed Its a 2010 but I think the later ones have it. 

• Confused 1

On 12/03/2019 at 17:39, Daveyeti said:

Useful info from bob32123, and impressive mileage! Had my 2012 yeti 2.0 4x4 170 6 years, 60,000, so just about run in now. No problems. No plans on changing my yeti, love it, does everything i need a car to do. 

Nice one mate. 60k only? Blimey, that should last you at least another ten years. Incidentally, did you take yours in for the emissions fix, and if so was it ok ? Left mine as it is. 

39 minutes ago, bob32123 said:

Yeh I know the Haldex is more important than for instance the diffs and transfer box, but last time I had the Haldex oil changed at 40k the oil came out pristine clean, so my mechanic said it would be ok to leave it for at least 60k. I think a lot of these recommended mileage changes are purely to give main agents more profit. Having Haldex, rear diff, transfer box and gearbox/front diff done next week. Haldex/rear diff/transfer box have done about 70k on current oil and gearbox/front diff have done 170k with no issues. There is no filter on my Haldex, i double checked at Skoda main agent and there isn’t one listed Its a 2010 but I think the later ones have it. 

The only way I can conceive that the oil could be clean after that mileage is if the clutches are never engaging, and hence not wearing, which suggests that the pump is not working and hence you could well have a 2x4 without realising?

From what I have read here and elsewhere huge numbers of these haldex have actually failed and the drivers don't realise until they actually need the 4x4 at some point?

Any chance you can report back as to the actual haldex operability after you service.. If it is indeed working and oil is still clean it would put mine and a number of others minds at rest. Currently thinking about getting mine serviced at around 30k when the car will be 2 years old. Mine has a Haldex 5 though which should really be opened and the filter screen cleaned.

I suppose you could have a Haldex 3, don't know much about that; perhaps reliability is reducing and not increasing as models are evolved. It seems likely that the filter has been removed in the Haldex 5 as no-one was changing it in the Haldex 4 leading to the pump burning out. The mesh filter in the Haldex 5 may pass some of the smaller crap that would have blocked the replaceable filter before and hence keep fluid going through the pump?

1 hour ago, bob32123 said:

Nice one mate. 60k only? Blimey, that should last you at least another ten years. Incidentally, did you take yours in for the emissions fix, and if so was it ok ? Left mine as it is. 

I'm not one for changing cars very often. No emissions fix on mine and that's how it's going to stay. If it ain't bust don't fix it. Here's to the next ten years. 

1 hour ago, kenfowler3966 said:

The only way I can conceive that the oil could be clean after that mileage is if the clutches are never engaging, and hence not wearing, which suggests that the pump is not working and hence you could well have a 2x4 without realising?

From what I have read here and elsewhere huge numbers of these haldex have actually failed and the drivers don't realise until they actually need the 4x4 at some point?

Any chance you can report back as to the actual haldex operability after you service.. If it is indeed working and oil is still clean it would put mine and a number of others minds at rest. Currently thinking about getting mine serviced at around 30k when the car will be 2 years old. Mine has a Haldex 5 though which should really be opened and the filter screen cleaned.

I suppose you could have a Haldex 3, don't know much about that; perhaps reliability is reducing and not increasing as models are evolved. It seems likely that the filter has been removed in the Haldex 5 as no-one was changing it in the Haldex 4 leading to the pump burning out. The mesh filter in the Haldex 5 may pass some of the smaller crap that would have blocked the replaceable filter before and hence keep fluid going through the pump?

I live in North Wales so get plenty of opportunities to use the 4x4. I volunteer as a driver to Welsh Ambulance so collect and deliver patients in the remotest places up mountains and recently in a fair bit of snow. So yeah, the Haldex is working fine, maybe I’m just lucky not to have had a problem but  I definitely wouldn’t change oil at Skoda recommendations, it wouldn’t be viable for me anyhow, I do 50,000 miles a year. 

2 hours ago, kenfowler3966 said:

Yetis were never fitted with Gen 3 Haldex units.

Hi my 2014 Yeti has travelled 200klm. 15,000klm services. Stopped using Skoda service at 90,000klm. Since done by local mechanics. Apart from the clockspring and a wiring issue in the dash that cause the AC not to work I have not had any issues.  I have only changed the timing chain at 120,000klm, and not changed the gearbox or heldex oil since 60,000klm (yes I know that’s crazy) but will get it done next service and let you know the feedback from mechanic. I live in the country so the 4x4 does get used and is working. But most of the driving is highway. No brake pad changes, battery replacement or door loom issues yet.  All in all it’s been an excellent car that I expect to get a lot more out of. 

• 2 months later...

Hi. I have the same issue with my yeti, the clock spring is defective. Part number 5KO953569AL. You ordered one from overseas, can you tell what company you purchased this from and how much approx. You also  said you had problem with coding the new part but this was sorted? Would you recommend purchasing from overseas. Skoda here want about $800 for part but I may be able to get for $243 plus $25 shipping, thanks

Hi PPW I. would definitely purchase overseas again.  But definitely buy a genuine part if you are going to get Skoda to install it. They will not onstall an aftermarket unit. Skoda wanted to charge me over $800 plus fitting. The coding issue was sorted when I went back. My car was the last one done on the day and they did not run the scan tool over it, just gave it back to me. They had to do a software update to bring the car in line with the part. I will look up who I purchased from in the US. 

Just had the gearbox and Haldex serviced. A little bit over recommended. Second time, first time @ 60,000ks this time @ 210,000ks. Service centre said everything was fine, no problem with the oil that came out of both and working perfectly. 

Thanks Meyannos, i would appreciate if you could tell me the company you purchased from in US .

The company I found is FCP Euro in Connecticut who can supply the genuine part for about $270 including postage to Australia. ( I just hope the price I have seen on the net is Aussie dollars), thanks

Hi PPW I. would definitely purchase overseas again.  But definitely buy a genuine part if you are going to get Skoda to install it. They will not onstall an aftermarket unit. Skoda wanted to charge me over $800 plus fitting. The coding issue was sorted when I went back. My car was the last one done on the day and they did not run the scan tool over it, just gave it back to me. They had to do a software update to bring the car in line with the part. I will look up who I purchased from in the US. 

Hi PPW I bought through eEuroparts.com. The pricing I saw on line was all US. But cannot comment o what you have seen. A lot of places won’t sell to Australia. I have attached a photo of the order confirmation. They were prompt and easy to deal with. 

0CA85C97-604A-44C5-AB4F-DC88749736F2.png