Sat- Nav update

patrolman

47 minutes ago, pa_ko said:

Tried but couldn't find this topic. Please post the link

General Automotive Chat in the forum list.......I can’t post the link as the site won’t let me......

11 minutes ago, Berisford said:

General Automotive Chat in the forum list.......I can’t post the link as the site won’t let me......

This one...?

8 hours ago, Berisford said:

Yes, how do you do that?

i used it to get this.....

FC1B17B3-4C80-4FCE-B78D-B11E069A828A.jpeg

Thank you. Than it is same 1310 version as VW and we don't need to download manually but we can use Skoda tool which is (surprisingly) good. It takes care of all SD card setup and also has good download management. I use it and had never any issues.

4 hours ago, pa_ko said:

Thank you. Than it is same 1310 version as VW and we don't need to download manually but we can use Skoda tool which is (surprisingly) good. It takes care of all SD card setup and also has good download management. I use it and had never any issues.

OK so Skoda have their own (proper) mechanism to update so all of the above is moot. SEAT have removed mapcare from the UK and one is required to have the dealer update the Maps once a year I guess. 

The above is a workaround.

4 hours ago, pa_ko said:

we don't need to download manually but we can use Skoda tool which is (surprisingly) good.

Which tool is this please pa_ko?

I find the Skoda presentation of on-line/update/app information very poor and unclear what does what - or perhaps it is just me not being enough genned up on all this stuff.

On 19/06/2019 at 15:54, Berisford said:

The reason is buried deep in the SD card, it's the card identification register code (CID) that Skoda/VW use to thwart any copying, it's not easy to find a work-around.

That workaround is on the Seat thread been there since early 2017. In old Skodas without Mapcare it would be of use. Currently the latest standard infotainment maps aren't on the Skoda update portal, the high one is. As other said you can use the VW one. The German Skoda community expect the standard one to appear within two weeks of VW getting it. It normally works like that. Skoda gets the high first, VW get the standard first. Seat get them months latter. All the same file.

The standard all Europe file, disinformation about that you need a 32gb card. Odd they put that up on the Skoda portal since none currently are. Can only think that in the plan of things under TomTom cartography they reckon it will pop the card at some future point, but that hasn't happened yet so it gibberish. The cards have a CID on them which locks them to the unit. All the standard mib2 European VW releases can be used on the card. I recommend to stick with the all Europe maps rather than the zoned bundles. It's said the boot up is faster with the smaller bundles of maps but if you travel abroad across Europe you would want them.

The trailer speed issue is now fixed but motorways don't have a speed limit shown.

Will shuffle of back to the Seat board now :).

• Like 1

I have a Columbus Sat Nav unit, but there is no Skoda SD card with the car to update.  I'm not going to pay £200 for an SD card with maps or £50 for a card as the Sat Nav on my phone is fine, but it would be nice to have the car one working for a modest cost.

It sounds like my plan of downloading the files from one of the links above and then copying onto an ordinary SD card isn't going to work.  If that fails, should I try the SEAT Forum CID workaround next?

Failing that do I buy a secondhand Skoda SD card off Ebay for £20-30 (probably where mine ended up!) or will that SD card be linked to a specific VIN and not useable in my car?

12 minutes ago, NobbyTucker said:

I have a Columbus Sat Nav unit, but there is no Skoda SD card with the car to update.  I'm not going to pay £200 for an SD card with maps or £50 for a card as the Sat Nav on my phone is fine, but it would be nice to have the car one working for a modest cost.

It sounds like my plan of downloading the files from one of the links above and then copying onto an ordinary SD card isn't going to work.  If that fails, should I try the SEAT Forum CID workaround next?

Failing that do I buy a secondhand Skoda SD card off Ebay for £20-30 (probably where mine ended up!) or will that SD card be linked to a specific VIN and not useable in my car?

Columbus doesn't use a card in use, the maps are held in the unit once uploaded. The CID business doesn't apply. You download the maps onto your hard drive, use 7zip if a PC and copy onto a 32gb sd card, class 10, then import them in checking the manual on whick option. Will be update, if it blows a raspberry then you wont have Mapcare but I think all recent Skodas do. The VW site provides a good pdf on importing into the Discovery Pro which is what your is.

I note a number of you here seem to be using the online service... pass on how that works but would think for 32gb better to do it in the house rather than a root link. This link, pick a VW Tiguan say, Discover Pro, files are there plus down the bottom a pdf of how to do it and card spec. Just a modern SD. Assume it's a Karoq.

I had tried the update portal of the Skoda website with my VIN and it comes up as "There are no map and software updates available for this VIN. Please contact your local retailer for more information. Your navigation can be updated only at the service. Please contact your dealer for more information."

Thanks for the link to VW website, and the Tiguan Allspace has Discover Pro and I formatted my SD Card Format NTFS as it says in the PDF download.  I couldn't check the version as per instructions that I have installed as I was not given that option. 

I was suspicious and went back to the VW website and checked again and my 'Skoda Columbus' looks closest to the RNS810 - controls and all the same other than fascia trim which says 'Skoda Columbus' and an SD Card logo.

https://www.volkswagen.co.uk/technology/navigation-and-entertainment-systems/rns-810

The VW website doesn't seem to like updating the RNS810 (firmware or maps) either and says " Pop along to your local retailer and enjoy a coffee whilst we update your navigation system."   * Navigation updates are available on SD cards, DVD’s or updated via the workshop equipment. Update process and time will vary depending on the system fitted to your vehicle."

I rang the Skoda main dealer and first of all they said it updates on the wifi, just park outisde the house.  When I rang back with news that there isn't Wifi on my Unit, they went off to find out about the DVD update (not an SD card) and offered me 2018 week 45 update as being the most recent one, saying next revision due 2020.  Charge would be £50 but they need to order in the DVD...

2 hours ago, NobbyTucker said:

I had tried the update portal of the Skoda website with my VIN and it comes up as "There are no map and software updates available for this VIN. Please contact your local retailer for more information. Your navigation can be updated only at the service. Please contact your dealer for more information."

Thanks for the link to VW website, and the Tiguan Allspace has Discover Pro and I formatted my SD Card Format NTFS as it says in the PDF download.  I couldn't check the version as per instructions that I have installed as I was not given that option. 

I was suspicious and went back to the VW website and checked again and my 'Skoda Columbus' looks closest to the RNS810 - controls and all the same other than fascia trim which says 'Skoda Columbus' and an SD Card logo.

https://www.volkswagen.co.uk/technology/navigation-and-entertainment-systems/rns-810

The VW website doesn't seem to like updating the RNS810 (firmware or maps) either and says " Pop along to your local retailer and enjoy a coffee whilst we update your navigation system."   * Navigation updates are available on SD cards, DVD’s or updated via the workshop equipment. Update process and time will vary depending on the system fitted to your vehicle."

I rang the Skoda main dealer and first of all they said it updates on the wifi, just park outisde the house.  When I rang back with news that there isn't Wifi on my Unit, they went off to find out about the DVD update (not an SD card) and offered me 2018 week 45 update as being the most recent one, saying next revision due 2020.  Charge would be £50 but they need to order in the DVD...

That's why I said pick it up off the VW site. The 177 release is on there 

or you can pick it up from the direct link and that's a Skoda link

http://vw-mapscdn.tdd.adacorcdn.com/P177_N60S5MIBH3_EU.7z

I must say I'm a bit confused since you said it was a Columbus which I take to be a MIB1 or 2 High which uses the same download. When you press Media you should see Juke box which is the SSD storage only Mib2 High's have this.

To find out your version in the navigation main menu tap tog and version information.... least reading a Skoda manual. You will see a xxx version number, 177 is the latest. If yours is a Columbus Mib1 or 2 recent you might see 175 (last release), 169... etc 135 can't remember the rest. What year is it showing.

If it's a really old Skoda it might pre-date when Mapcare came to Skoda and became free and never called Mapcare since it's just provided.  If it's one of them then you can't do it yourself. Your dealer seems to think you can so it's just getting the latest maps onto an SD card and doing the update.

The confusing bit is it doesn't recognise your Vin, I have Vin's for Skoda Mib2 High's and Mid2 standard. The High is on the Skoda VIN based site but the standard isn't it's the old one showing. 

4 hours ago, Tell said:

I must say I'm a bit confused since you said it was a Columbus which I take to be a MIB1 or 2 High which uses the same download. When you press Media you should see Juke box which is the SSD storage only Mib2 High's have this.

To find out your version in the navigation main menu tap tog and version information.... least reading a Skoda manual. You will see a xxx version number, 177 is the latest. If yours is a Columbus Mib1 or 2 recent you might see 175 (last release), 169... etc 135 can't remember the rest. What year is it showing.

I am sorry but I don't know what an MIB1 or 2 High look like.  I pushed the Media button and nothing says juke box, this is what the screen looks like (and the whole unit) after doing that. When I push the navigation button I don't get an option for version information - I have tried this every way possible in Unit menus, in the car menus and reading both the car manual and the Columbus unit manual - there seems no way of finding out the year/version installed.

20190625_201736_resized.thumb.jpg.ddad33076f960dc63732fc992d03aa54.jpg

4 hours ago, Tell said:

If it's a really old Skoda....

It's registered 26/11/2010.

Hopefully the photo will help?

19 minutes ago, NobbyTucker said:

I am sorry but I don't know what an MIB1 or 2 High look like.  I pushed the Media button and nothing says juke box, this is what the screen looks like (and the whole unit) after doing that. When I push the navigation button I don't get an option for version information - I have tried this every way possible in Unit menus, in the car menus and reading both the car manual and the Columbus unit manual - there seems no way of finding out the year/version installed.

20190625_201736_resized.thumb.jpg.ddad33076f960dc63732fc992d03aa54.jpg

It's registered 26/11/2010.

Hopefully the photo will help?

Reckon that isn't a mib1 and it's not a mib2.

Think your hardware is on this thread.

My knowledge goes to mib 1and 2. Any further back and I pass without research. There are units that are kept going by a user community. It may be one of them. Certainly Wi-Fi link updates isn't one for that. Since it says HDD the maps are going to be on a hard disk drive if there is no CD / DVD and not on the SD. I'm sure there will be experts on Briskoda that can place the model and update options. Your dealer ought to be able to help.  It's not a Karoq unit which is the thread.

• 3 months later...

Hi,

I also downloaded VW Discomer Media maps for my Amundsen in Kodiaq MY17. Working well. What I'm wondering is: how come the latest file timestamp is 2018-12-12 17:17. The map material is supposed to be updated on Jun 17, 2019.

I live in Finland.

• 1 month later...

I have just updated my Amundsen maps from the portal today. Maps are dated 29/10/19. The portal has been down for a couple of weeks, but working now.

Update works fine with a couple of routes I made static tests on (not yet driven with it)

21 hours ago, Luckypants said:

I have just updated my Amundsen maps from the portal today. Maps are dated 29/10/19. The portal has been down for a couple of weeks, but working now.

Update works fine with a couple of routes I made static tests on (not yet driven with it)

From Skoda Portal or VW? And what is the version of the maps? 1310?

48 minutes ago, pa_ko said:

From Skoda Portal or VW? And what is the version of the maps? 1310?

skoda update portal ece1 2020 there are some different versions depends where you like to travel

Edited by skoda1982

Just now, skoda1982 said:

ece1 2020

Yes, but if it is the same from 2 weeks ago (same name!) it is ver 1310. And that version is published by VW in June, and maps are from beginning of this year! 

So that is why I ask. If it is really new maps or just VW 1 year old maps presented by Skoda as 'new'. 

BTW on VW site there are truly new maps.

As far as I'm concerned they are the latest from Skoda. I'm not all that bothered when VW published their version, I have a Skoda. I updated from the Skoda portal.

I posted to let other Karoq owners know the update is available. 

• Like 2