Sat- Nav update

patrolman

I can't work out which version this 'update' is offering.

When I enter my VIN it tells me to update yet the page clearly (?) says the last version was August 2018. My vehicle was only delivered from the factory 2 weeks ago.

My SD card version is CW 31/2018 whatever that means......I wish the details given by Skoda could be clearer and unambiguous.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Berisford said:

When I enter my VIN it tells me to update yet the page clearly (?) says the last version was August 2018. My vehicle was only delivered from the factory 2 weeks ago.

My SD card version is CW 31/2018 whatever that means......I wish the details given by Skoda could be clearer and unambiguous.

Not "simply clever then!:smirk:

2 hours ago, Berisford said:

That is the version of your sd card go into settings on your Amunsden (navigation maps version) the new update is ECE 1 2019/2020. If you are going out of the uk say eu would be ECE 6 2019/1020

Edited by skoda1982
  • Like 1

I'm running ECE1 2018/19 so I could update it seems........these designations seem to be a little ahead of themselves, I mean 2020, not unlike some magazines running 6 weeks ahead of time!

Edited by Berisford

Do you need to remove the Skoda SD card from slot 1 and download the map update to that?

Or, download to any old card and stick it in slot 2 for the updates to be copied across?

7 hours ago, dan245 said:

Do you need to remove the Skoda SD card from slot 1 and download the map update to that?

Or, download to any old card and stick it in slot 2 for the updates to be copied across?

When I updated mine a few weeks ago, i followed this;

• make two folders (one old and one new) 

• insert the SD into the SD port 

• copy the SD files across to the old folder (back up) 

• deleted old file from the SD

• download new file into the new folder (use 7-zip to extract)

• once downloaded and extracted, drag and drop the file onto your SD card. 

• once complete, place SD card back into car to double check, and should be all good. 

Things is to remember to always keep back up files incase all goes wrong. And it could be frustrating if you have an old PC or a slow chip. Luckily I have an i7 laptop so took about 30 mins lol. 

Hope this helps anyone looking to update the maps. 

• Like 3

7 hours ago, MarcusKaroq said:

Hope this helps anyone looking to update the maps. 

Thanks for that Marcus, I’ll give it a go.....just one thing, you say copy and delete the old ‘files’ on the card but then you refer to the new ‘file’ replacing it.....just the one on the new then?

1 hour ago, Berisford said:

Thanks for that Marcus, I’ll give it a go.....just one thing, you say copy and delete the old ‘files’ on the card but then you refer to the new ‘file’ replacing it.....just the one on the new then?

Well it’s made up of loads of files but when I updated mine I only used the UK files instead of Europe. Much smaller file and takes a lot less time. I don’t plan to take the car outside the UK lol. 

• Like 1

On 15/03/2019 at 17:07, dan245 said:

Yes skoda sd card

• Like 1

Just done mine today, took a while but all is good. The original File on the Skoda card (Maps) you delete and the new file (maps), extracted from the 7z file downloaded from the Skoda site is copied across along with a small 'read me' file, not sure it was important but I put it back on the Skoda card anyway.

Not sure what that business shown on the video on the Skoda is about, put the update on another card and use the 2nd slot.....?

I'd imagine that if it was to work it'd take forever, 'cause it took a good 10 minutes on my fast PC.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Berisford said:

Just done mine today, took a while but all is good. The original File on the Skoda card (Maps) you delete and the new file (maps), extracted from the 7z file downloaded from the Skoda site is copied across along with a small 'read me' file, not sure it was important but I put it back on the Skoda card anyway.

Not sure what that business shown on the video on the Skoda is about, put the update on another card and use the 2nd slot.....?

I'd imagine that if it was to work it'd take forever, 'cause it took a good 10 minutes on my fast PC.

Glad your got it sorted, hope my little guide helped somewhat lol. 

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, MarcusKaroq said:

Glad your got it sorted, hope my little guide helped somewhat lol. 

It did, gave me a bit of confidence....it can all be a little daunting.....interesting that you have to choose your area when previously all of Europe fitted in the card.....I've gone for UK, obviously, and the one that features Germany as I'm off down to Munich in July......that was over 12GB so I assume there's a bit more data on the new ones.

• 1 month later...

Despite moving the write protect switch on the SD card it still won't allow me to delete the maps folder on the Skoda SD card - the files all have the Read Only attribute set. Were you able to just delete them or did you have to reset the read only attribute first.

There's a lot of posts in other forums that suggest formatting the SD card which seems a bit iffy as if there are hidden files that would delete them.  Suppose the other approach is to use the Skoda download and extract to SD card tool.

• 1 month later...

Am I right in thinking then that the Skoda SD card is mechanically protected in some way, I want to update but am loathed to interfere with the original card and would want to make a duplicate, anyone know if its possible to do this?

thanks

I suspect it's something flashed on to the chip in the SD card which allows it to work with the sat nav hence an ordinary sd card just won't do. I'd be interested to know. As others before me found, backup all the files so you still have them just in case, after that you can delete the existing files on the SD card (move the write protect switch)  and copy the new ones across. Either  use the tool on the Skoda site which downloads, extracts and copies or stop once the file has been downloaded, extract the files from the zip and copy. If doing it this way use Winzip or 7Zip (free) to extract as the Windows extraction tool built in to W10 is very slow. It is very easy to do but unsettling when you don't have a backup card.

I have contacted the dealer about updating the Skoda Card` but was told they are not allowed to download anything to their pc's so cannot offer the service ! Where else is there to go? I have also asked for the cost of another Skoda branded SD card as jimmer69 suggested, I await a reply from them, after all if I muck up the original card surely you must be able to acquire another one.

Or perhaps its like my previous  yeti where the dealer wanted £180 to load on the sat nav data from their CD!

Forget the in car SatNav....use Google Maps or Waze via your phone. Continuously updated for free and completely hassle free.

Breezy, How do you display your phone onto the screen in the car then?

The garage has informed me that a blank Skoda SD card is available for special order at a cost of £50 ! If I want a replacement with maps on it its £200 !!

Through smart link. Connect phone to the usb port, select car play and then the phone is available on your car screen. Select apps then Google Maps or Waze (if you have those apps on your phone). Both are continuously updated with Waze having the facility for users to input accidents, delays, speed cameras etc in real time.

It is also possible to download offline maps for Google. Effectively your mobile phone becomes a continuously updating satnav.

The Amundsen sat nav looks to the sd card where the maps reside. If you put the maps on an ordinary sd card the sat nav won't work, it has to be a skoda sd card. Think it's different with the Columbus where the maps live on internal memory. £50 doesn't sound too awful as you can download the maps from the portal for free and copy them on (hopefully).

12 hours ago, Breezy said:

Through smart link. Connect phone to the usb port, select car play and then the phone is available on your car screen. Select apps then Google Maps or Waze (if you have those apps on your phone). Both are continuously updated with Waze having the facility for users to input accidents, delays, speed cameras etc in real time.

It is also possible to download offline maps for Google. Effectively your mobile phone becomes a continuously updating satnav.

When I loaded waze, android auto defaulted to it and the only way to then use google maps was to delete waze. I occasionally use google maps but much prefer tom tom on my phone to waze. I believe if you're prepared to root  your phone you can get tom tom to display on the sat nav. I tend to use the car sat nav to view traffic rather than for directions, its timings are usually wrong and at times it takes some odd routes.