DSG ?

If you're buying new, with a warranty then I wouldn't worry about it. 

The six speed can handle more torque and the oil submerged clutch means it can take more heat from actions like crawling below 7mph in traffic but the downside to that is the particles that burn off the clutch end up in the rest of your gearbox. 

The 7 speeds dry clutch can't take so much heat but clutch particles won't end up in the rest of your gearbox. 

If you look after either, service them properly and avoid excessive clutch slipping they'll both be fine. 

I think a much more common fault is one of the switches on the gear selector. That's only expensive because VAG replace the whole selector unit rather than just replacing the switch. 

There are now 2 very different 7 speed boxes fitted so it's no longer as simple as 6 speed Vs 7 speed. Which engine are you looking at?

The DQ250 6 speed wet clutch is generally more reliable than the DQ200 dry clutch 7 speed as long as the former is serviced every 40k. The DQ200 7 speed dry clutch does not have any servicing schedule, but there have been a number of issues around the oil used and software updates to the unit which have resolved some issues with this box. The DQ200 is mostly fitted to the lower power and torque engines in the ranges as it has a fairly low torque limit.

There is now also a 7 speed wet clutch - DQ380/381 depending on whether fwd/4wd fitted to a number of Skodas which should be reliable, but isn't as time proven as the DQ250.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, SKOD said:

Would be looking at 2012 to 2014 year. 

A car that age I personally would be looking at something with the DQ250 or higher.  Just make sure it has been serviced.

• Like 1

DQ200 DSG / 7 Speed Twin Dry clutch are great and only the faulty ones have issues.

That might be 1%, 5% or 10% but Skoda / VW are never going to say how many.

So 2012-2014 you can forget the World Wide Recall / Europe Service campaign only. That was for 2009-2012/13  !!!

Forget the ongoing issues, Clutch Slip, 2014-2018/19.  TPI's on that finally after VW denials!!!

So some DQ200's 2013-2015 had faults, requiring Service Campaign '34H5' a Software Update.

Some never got this because as usual Skoda / VW never made all Owners / Keepers aware and even some 'Approved Used Cars' from Skoda , VW, Audi & SEAT never got this.

So you need to check, 

& remember the DQ200 has no Servicing Guidelines or Service Schedule from the Manufacturer but some Dealership will say it has, even argue it has, 

(they can not find that in writing though!)

and some will do an Oil change and some will refuse to do an Oil change and say it can not be done.

But then they are not a Technician, Master Technician or even a fitter, they are receptionist.

Edited by Skoffski
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, ian_feel_keepin_it_reel said:

The six speed can handle more torque and the oil submerged clutch means it can take more heat from actions like crawling below 7mph in traffic but the downside to that is the particles that burn off the clutch end up in the rest of your gearbox.

Is that how fast you have to go before the DSG stops slipping the clutch? Wow. Can you feel when it is slipping or not? In slow traffic or 5 or 10 mph speed limits I like to crawl along in first, second or even third with no feet on the pedals.

@Rodge I like to switch to S or M in those situations.  S holds the gears for longer allowing you to crawl with the clutch fully engaged.  M is M just no manual clutch control.  At least in S you still have full auto so when the traffic gets going again you dont have to remember to change.

As a side note I read in some tech paper that S mode applies greater clutch pressure (in the DQ 250 at least) so helps get to fully engaged quicker maybe.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

21 hours ago, Skoffski said:

DQ200 DSG / 7 Speed Twin Dry clutch are great and only the faulty ones have issues.

That might be 1%, 5% or 10% but Skoda / VW are never going to say how many.

So 2012-2014 you can forget the World Wide Recall / Europe Service campaign only. That was for 2009-2012/13  !!!

Forget the ongoing issues, Clutch Slip, 2014-2018/19.  TPI's on that finally after VW denials!!!

So some DQ200's 2013-2015 had faults, requiring Service Campaign '34H5' a Software Update.

Some never got this because as usual Skoda / VW never made all Owners / Keepers aware and even some 'Approved Used Cars' from Skoda , VW, Audi & SEAT never got this.

So you need to check, 

& remember the DQ200 has no Servicing Guidelines or Service Schedule from the Manufacturer but some Dealership will say it has, even argue it has, 

(they can not find that in writing though!)

and some will do an Oil change and some will refuse to do an Oil change and say it can not be done.

But then they are not a Technician, Master Technician or even a fitter, they are receptionist.

Thank you Skoffski, I presume I would have to contact a skoda dealer to find out what service/technical bulletins have been completed on a particular car or do Skoda have a similar system to Fords' etis system where you just enter reg no on the website?

My last Mk2 1.6 tdi 7 speed DSG covered 80,000 miles without any issues.

My current Mk3 1.6 tdi 7 speed DSG has covered 132,000 miles without any issues.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, moley said:

My last Mk2 1.6 tdi 7 speed DSG covered 80,000 miles without any issues.

My current Mk3 1.6 tdi 7 speed DSG has covered 132,000 miles without any issues.

We're these purchased new ? Mine will be 2nd hand and although I would treat the gearbox with respect previous owners may not of done so?

7 minutes ago, SKOD said:

We're these purchased new ? Mine will be 2nd hand and although I would treat the gearbox with respect previous owners may not of done so?

Both were 6-12 months old with 5-7k mileage from a Skoda dealer. 

@SKOD

For some reason the Service campaign started late 2017 on DQ200 DSG's from some plants from 2013-2015 did not appear on the VIN checker resulting in some not having had the Recall Action.

http://skoda-auto.com/services/recall-actions

When Service Campaigns are carried out there should be a sticker with the dealer stamp,date and code in the spare tyre well.

@moley Did your Mk2 with the DQ200 DSG require Service Campaign '34F7' to change the Synthetic Oil to Mineral and a software update,.

or did your Mk3 need '34H5' carried out?

Edited by Skoffski

21 minutes ago, Skoffski said:

@SKOD

@moley Did your Mk2 with the DQ200 DSG require Service Campaign '34F7' to change the Synthetic Oil to Mineral and a software update,.

or did your Mk3 need '34H5' carried out?

Not sure about the mk2, but the Mk3 has had the 34H5 update at around 40k and has the sticker on the boot floor. 

• Like 1

On 20/03/2019 at 07:15, SKOD said:

Is reliability of these as bad as some people make out?

Is the 6 Speed more reliable than 7 Speed or the other way around?

Thanks

Done about 200k miles with the 7 speed dry clutch and 200k miles with the 6 speed wet clutch.

No break down issues with either, 40k service with the wet clutch is a pain and cost the 7 speed does not have.

MPG is about 2 mpg worse than the manual with the 6 speed wet but 2 mpg better than the manual with the 7 speed dry box.

Latest 7 speed with the 4 mode eco mode can show 60 mpg (actually it is around 58 mpg as it is optimistic), not bad for a car that can also do a 7.8 second 0-60 mph. 

All these DSGs do get confused sometimes and can scare you by failing to zoom off when you expected it to do, better in Sports mode when round town and then put in to Eco when out of town. 

• Sad 1

On 20/03/2019 at 17:30, MarkyG82 said:

@Rodge I like to switch to S or M in those situations.  S holds the gears for longer allowing you to crawl with the clutch fully engaged.  M is M just no manual clutch control.  At least in S you still have full auto so when the traffic gets going again you dont have to remember to change.

As a side note I read in some tech paper that S mode applies greater clutch pressure (in the DQ 250 at least) so helps get to fully engaged quicker maybe.

You might as well go back to a manual.  Whole point of an auto is just that. Automatic.

6 minutes ago, ords said:

You might as well go back to a manual.  Whole point of an auto is just that. Automatic.

You may be right but you also dont have the added complication of a manual clutch which makes it more comfortable to drive and much quicker gear changes.  I challenge anyone to shift a manual as fast as a dsg.

• Thanks 1