Problem Communicating with the Haldex Pump!?

Hi all,

I drive a 2016 SE L Superb Estate. 2.0TDI 4x4.

Last week I turned the car over after being stopped in a car park to take a call and was met with seemingly every error under the sun:

• Error Auto Hold
  • Erro Stabilisation Control (ESC)
  • Front Assist Not Available
  • ACC Error
  • Error:Tyre Pressure loss indicator
  • Park Pilot Not Available
  • Auto brake error

Possibly others I can't remember.

The car still drove fine , so I drove home from work. When I went to go out later all the errors had gone and I thought nothing more of it.

Over the next four days the errors came and went, seemingly randomly. No difference in weather if if i'd just done a long drive etc.

My car was in for it's first MOT on Tuesday so I phoned Friday and let them know the issue, they said wait and they'll have a look at it when I have the MOT done.

The evening of the MOT I get a call. The car has failed the MOT due to the (lack of) traction control however it should be fixed tomorrow.

Wednesday - Still struggling to diagnose the problem.

Thursday - I called before the end of the day as they didn't get in touch. The told me they were working on the problem but couldn't diagnose it properly however it looked like "The car wasn't communicating properly with the Haldex pump" 

They've pushed this onto central so hopefully some light with be shone on the problem.

The long and short of it is i've got a long (1000+mile) journey next week and wondered if anyone else had seen something similar and what became of it?

Many thanks , I realise it was a long read.

G

Just now, Nick_H said:

Not yet if you've jinxed me your in for it ! :D

Sorry, I thought you did have issues:notme:

I know someone with a 280 had problems and first noticed when the car started to break traction and not engage the rear wheels.  

1 minute ago, penguin17 said:

Sorry, I thought you did have issues:notme:

I know someone with a 280 had problems and first noticed when the car started to break traction and not engage the rear wheels.  

Def have issues but cars fine !

• Haha 2

Mine's a derv and, unbeknown to me, had Haldex pump issues since I had it (last May).  Had it in for a service last month, including Haldex oil change, and they picked up on the pump issue.  It had been breaking traction when I was enthusiastic (which isn't all that often - I like to loaf about rather than rag it!).  They had the car back in a week later for a Haldex pump replacement and all is now (touch-wood) tickety-boo.  However, traction control always worked - I had the little flashy light when it did break traction and I could feel it.  

My guess would be some form of control unit issue?  If TC failed the MOT and they cannot communicate with the Haldex, plus everything else you noted, then my money would be on something electrical.  Don't hold me to that though - I'm no auto-electrician, technician, mechanic, or anything like that - I'm just the IT department in a firm of solicitors.  

19 minutes ago, bigmick9445 said:

@GeorgeSuperb all those faults appearing at the same time after you stopped to make a call has all the hallmarks of a failing battery.

Was the traction control light illuminated when it went in for MOT?

I stopped the car and took the key out. When I put it back in and turned it (but not turned it over) they all appeared together , one after another.

This came and went over the next few days , I did think it was a battery problem at first so I suggested it to the dealership however they said they've escalated it to head office and it's a sensor fault?

I did find another post on here who had the exact same problems but with an Octavia that was solved by a new battery but surely the mechanic would have tried that before opting to test all the sensors?

And no the traction control light wasnt illuminated when it went in as the fault was intermittent. I did however record it and give it them on a membership.

They tell me it has since come on.

Edited by GeorgeSuperb

5 minutes ago, GeorgeSuperb said:

surely the mechanic would have tried that before opting to test all the sensors?

Take nothing for granted!!

Very few dealerships have any mechanics anymore, just fitters and technicians.

If the diagnostic machine says the battery is ok, then the battery must be ok!!!

• Like 1

Ahhhh I brought a dsg 4x4 with 30k miles on and noticed wheels spinning more than they should for a haldex 5. Took it into dealers and pump had been replaced recently but still faulting. So they put new pump in. Still faulting. Wheels spinning under hard acceleration and tc light coming on constantly. Back in to dealers. So the replace the controller. Still not fixed.. finally replaced haldex clutch pack as I’d said in the first place and... boom fixed 4x4 back and bloody hell its a good system. Each time tho they returned me the car saying they had rd tested it and it was fine. Within mins of me leaving I’d managed to get it to spin and then got home each time, plugged into vcds and each time same fault came up.. ask them to replace clutch pack as apparently they are made of ‘blamanche’ and mine were absolutely shot and crumbling when they took them out !!! 

On 22/03/2019 at 16:03, bigmick9445 said:

Take nothing for granted!!

Very few dealerships have any mechanics anymore, just fitters and technicians.

If the diagnostic machine says the battery is ok, then the battery must be ok!!!

Sorry for the delayed replied, dont have notification on!

I have mis-spoke there I think. What I meant was technicians rather than mechanic.

On 22/03/2019 at 23:03, Esseesse200 said:

Ahhhh I brought a dsg 4x4 with 30k miles on and noticed wheels spinning more than they should for a haldex 5. Took it into dealers and pump had been replaced recently but still faulting. So they put new pump in. Still faulting. Wheels spinning under hard acceleration and tc light coming on constantly. Back in to dealers. So the replace the controller. Still not fixed.. finally replaced haldex clutch pack as I’d said in the first place and... boom fixed 4x4 back and bloody hell its a good system. Each time tho they returned me the car saying they had rd tested it and it was fine. Within mins of me leaving I’d managed to get it to spin and then got home each time, plugged into vcds and each time same fault came up.. ask them to replace clutch pack as apparently they are made of ‘blamanche’ and mine were absolutely shot and crumbling when they took them out !!! 

brought a dsg 4x4 with 30k miles on and noticed wheels spinning more than they should for a haldex 5

This makes a lot of sense!

If I slam my foot down there is some wheel spin that you wouldnt expect from a 4x4.

This has been really helpful. Will definitely mention the wheel spinning and hope it helps them.

THank you

There's a strainer in the Haldex 5 unit that stops any detritus getting into the gubbins. According to other posts (this forum and others as it's used in lots of makes) if this becomes blocked then the Haldex may not kick in (no mention of an error in said posts).  The Haldex 4 had a replaceable filter which was replaced at the same time as the oil.

When I had mine serviced at just over 20,000 miles I asked them to clean the strainer.  They told me that because it's not on Skoda's official "how to service a Haldex" task sheet they didn't do it :wondering:

16 hours ago, unclerichy said:

There's a strainer in the Haldex 5 unit that stops any detritus getting into the gubbins. According to other posts (this forum and others as it's used in lots of makes) if this becomes blocked then the Haldex may not kick in (no mention of an error in said posts).  The Haldex 4 had a replaceable filter which was replaced at the same time as the oil.

When I had mine serviced at just over 20,000 miles I asked them to clean the strainer.  They told me that because it's not on Skoda's official "how to service a Haldex" task sheet they didn't do it :wondering:

Well thats frustrating.

The more I hear the more it sounds like an underlying issue gone un-noticed

its a common issue going back to the previous gen cars as well. 

the filter shape has changed a little, but its pretty much the same thing in the same place. 

• 1 month later...

Sorry I took so long to reply.

Long story short they fixed it under warranty!

It took about a week, apparently due to diagnosing time with it being under warranty certain steps have to be taken etc.

In the end a single component was changed I think and the car was working perfectly after.