Car at Emden for over a month

I wondered if anyone has a Superb (or any Skoda) on order at the moment and has it stuck at Emden?  My car has been there since mid/late February  and its now over a month it has been sitting there.  Skoda have given me various reasons, brexit, bad weather, WLTP (basically everything).  From my perspective the wait at Emden is really getting silly now and wanted to see if others were having the same experience?

Sorry to hear this. Mine was built wk7 so around the same time as yours, I guess. It’s journey seems to have been pretty swift as it arrived in the UK in wk10 and had made its way to the dealer by the end of wk11.

What is the spec of yours?

Its Skoda CS on the live chat telling me this.  The dealer has actually be fairly helpful.  He is actually in the same situation as me and has a few cars he thought he would have by now which haven't turned up.

Car is an 1.5 DSG SEL with some options added.

I had actually thought that there could have been damage but my dealer seems to have a couple of cars delayed like this. My car is set to be shipped to sheerness and I have noticed there seem to be less ships go there than the other ports like Grimsby etc.

Looking around this and other VAG forms the delay at Emden I have seems to be at the very extreme end of things.

If one dealer has multiple cars being held, is it something to do with that dealer, such as they haven’t paid Skoda for earlier cars.

Emden is massive (just look at it on Google satellite view), if the car gets loaded on a ship, then might accidentally get delivered to dealer, which reading between the lines appears to be what someone is trying to avoid.  

You will probably be given all sorts of random reasons rather than be told something like this if true.   So this is all guesswork on my part.

I’m not sure the other cars the dealer has been waiting on have been delayed as much as mine. Sorry I should have clarified that. What they said is other cars they had expected by now hadn’t arrived either but I believe the delay on mine is by far the most substantial. I did get the impression from the dealer he was getting as annoyed as I was with the delay (likely due to customers like me chasing him) but have done their best to keep me informed. In reality it could be an issue at their end like was suggested above win payment etc. I am just really starting to suspect there is something wrong as the length of delay is really lengthy now for my car to be sitting at Emden.

More related to manual 1.5 TSI's but not exclusive to those as there are 1.5TSI DSG owners having issues and Main Dealerships have cars with them while owners are driving loan cars.

VW Group, Skoda etc are who knows which might have issues, build dates, were they cars that were 'Banked' awaiting WLTP Certification or not.

Pre WLTP and GPF's (Gasoline Particulate Filters) and post GPF fitment manual or DSG seem to be involved, maybe only small numbers, but then VW are the ones that should know.

1 hour ago, xman said:

Guys, the clue is the engine, 1.5tsi.

Awaiting Q2 fix to ensure customer doesn't reject.

Mine spent all of about 4 days at Emden, and another 4 in Sheerness.

I just spoke with live chat again and the story now is that the bad weather earlier in the week combined with a huge backlog at Emden caused by trying to get as many cars out before Brexit is the cause of the delay. I asked so what’s the longest the car could sit there and they were unable to give a time. I’m getting more suspicious as it seems to be a different story each time. Does anyone know how much info the live chat folk really have?

2 hours ago, Bemak187 said:

I had actually thought that there could have been damage but my dealer seems to have a couple of cars delayed like this. My car is set to be shipped to sheerness and I have noticed there seem to be less ships go there than the other ports like Grimsby etc.

I think you've answered your own question.

The arrival port is often dictated by the location of your retailer, and given they're used to delays might suggest that fewer ships mean fuller ships - hence the delay.

It doesn't take much for delays to occur, a few cancelled crossings due to bad weather, a surge in cars being shipped over (clearing WLTP back logs) and it being a less popular destination can easily add a week or two.

I know it's tough, but be patient, good things come to those who wait!

4 minutes ago, mandp said:

Does no-one know what it is?

It is the software (and maybe even hardware) update promised by Skoda/VAG to fix the 1.5tsi problems once and for all* arriving allegedly sometime in Q2 2019.

No-one knows what it is, not even Skoda (its actually a VW problem shrouded in much secrecy)

*I made the "once and for all" bit up.....to give you hope....;)

If you read the 69+ page thread I linked to earlier, you would already know all about this problem and promised fix, plus some discussion about what the cause may be etc etc.....

My Karoq is in the same position as your Superb stuck in Emden and it will come in via Sheerness as the dealership is based on the    South coast. Dealer is helpful and frustrated because they are waiting for a few cars to come through. 

22 minutes ago, Mr Rubble said:

My Karoq is in the same position as your Superb stuck in Emden and it will come in via Sheerness as the dealership is based on the    South coast. Dealer is helpful and frustrated because they are waiting for a few cars to come through. 

I spoke to Skoda again today and was again told there is a massive backlog of cars. The dealer dropped me an email earlier as well apologising for the delay but also mentioned a backlog. It seems they have too many cars to ship and not enough ships to bring them over. How long have you been waiting for yours to ship?

Fortunately mine has only been there for three weeks,. I have been told the same story too many cars and not enough transport we have a good relationship with the dealer as we have used them a lot over the past 10 years, so I know I am being told an honest story. Hopefully it'll turn up soon.

• 5 weeks later...

I have ordered an Audi A4 to replce my Skoda which is going off lease end May

the new car was ordered in January, built in February, booked as ready for shipping on the 2nd March and has been sat at Emden ever since. That's over 7 weeks 

Audi are claiming the dock is " at capacity " but that doesn't excuse the fact that is has been sat there for so long

There must be tens of thousands of cars all sat waiting for a boat

Needless to say I have given up all hope of getting it for 8 May, as it typically can take 3 weeks from leaving Emden to arriving at end user

On 22/03/2019 at 18:08, Bemak187 said:

Does anyone know how much info the live chat folk really have?

Very little to none in my experience. They claimed to be completely unaware that there was a fault with the 1.5 petrol engine long after my dealer had acknowledged it. 

This isn't just a Skoda UK issue, but I really think Live Chat is there as a sop to give the impression that companies behind large websites are accessible to their customers.  If you want to make any progress at all, use the telephone instead and keep going until you are transferred to someone who can give a substantive response.  (Utility companies and phone companies are the same; unless you are trying to do something very straightforward and transactional, avoid Live Chat altogether.)