USB cable - recommendation

privatepit

My Karoq didn't have the wireless charging phone box fitted, so I needed to connect a charging /data cable to my phone in order use Android Auto, and to charge the phone. The standard Samsung USB cable stands too high to allow the cover on the cubby to be closed. The answer was a USB cable with a right angle to drop the height enough to allow the cover to be closed. I tried others, which didn't work well with my Samsung S7 - however this one works perfectly. - https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07F1MS33S/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Indeed, that silly position of the USB socket has buggered 2 of my cables in just over 2 weeks.....I've ordered a right angle connector as I can't find a suitable iphone cable. 

Whilst I appreciate that Skoda provide just the 1 USB socket for the UK market* I was wondering if there might an alternative way of getting the cable attached to the head unit, anyone?

*Handbook shows 2 in the front and further connection in the back.

Edited by Berisford

Yep the USB location is poor. I opted for one of these so that I have options with what is connected. 

Short USB 3.0 Extension Cable, 90... https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07BPLYB26?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

You need to get the correct orientation so the the cable directs in to the cavity.

Still a bit tricky fitting a phone in and closing the cover, especially with the dsg gear selector.

• Like 1

I bought this one and leave it in all the time. Works perfectly, USB3, cover closes properly, price is right: https://smile.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00VQ3F8U2  Plus I can connect any USB device to it (using their original cables) without ever needing to remove it so no fear of the Karoq USB socket ever getting damaged or worn out.

Edited by FabFabFabia
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, FabFabFabia said:

I bought this one and leave it in all the time. Works perfectly, USB3, cover closes properly, price is right: https://smile.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00VQ3F8U2  Plus I can connect any USB device to it (using their original cables) without ever needing to remove it so no fear of the Karoq USB socket ever getting damaged or worn out.

Ah, that’s the one I have ordered too, glad to hear it works well, is it ok with Apple Play also?

I don't have an iPhone but I would imagine it would work fine. I only use it for my iPod playlists running through the iOS app player OnkyoHF which has customisable EQ's so I can tame the inadequecies of the car's Canton sound system :-)

• Like 1

Thanks for that info Sad555, whilst I've ordered 2 I'm thinking they might not work on the Karoq as they have to exit the USB socket to the right and these, (despite your photo showing exiting to the right,) look and mention 'left'....?

We'll see, not alot of money and they'll come in anyway.

• 1 month later...

This one is one more thing in my "to do list". When I have time will make embedded wireless charger on this pocket. Pocket size is OK for my S9+ with cover , so this will look authentic.   Personally do not like phone be always connected/disconnected to the port.

On 26/03/2019 at 06:52, Sad555 said:

Think it was this one,it tends to stay in into the curved shape after a while

9B023C09-9616-43B5-BFA0-7C9AABFCA86F.png

Using the above 20cm cable recommended by Sad555 I've cobbled together an acceptable solution.....it enables me to store the ApplePlay connected phone without any Chinese Puzzle shenanigans. It's a short length of plastic cable conduit stuck across the front of the ashtray. I'm on the lookout for a more 'aesthetic' bit of flexible channel but for now, I'm happy. The ashtray still closes with the USB cable in the socket.

car3.JPG

Edited by Berisford
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, Wimwian said:

My first post on this forum. 

I purchased and tried a few lightning cables before realising that only MFI certified cables work with Apple Carplay. iPhone users beware!

Ended up ordering a 90 degree USB adapter and yet another cable (MFI certified this time) from Aliexpress. Will update upon receipt. 

When buying cheap cables it's the luck of the draw if they work with CarPlay. The braided coloured ones from Poundland work fine for me and the ones I mention in my previous post (as recommended by member Sad555) are good too, neither are official 'Apple Certified'.

• 1 month later...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07HVWYXJ1/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Make sure you get the 'right' one.  This has a USB C on the other end.

I also have one of these which will allow other different connection.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07BPLYB26/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Sorry to be dumb but yet to get my Karoq,hopefully next week.Will the usb socket charge my iphone as well as connect to Carplay?

In my present car its the cigarette socket that charges.

Thanks.I only scanned the this thread but it seem I will need a certain type/make to fit.Any suggestions?I have plenty if straightforward lightening cables for my iphone.