Buy now or wait for facelift?

I'm a Karoq owner but with one baby and another on the way I'm thinking of giving it to my partner as she has an impractical ford ka. 

Superb seems the best choice for a number of reasons but I just don't know whether to go ahead now or wait for the facelift. From images released I prefer the look of the current model but with 1.5L kangaroo issues maybe it's better to wait for the new engine. 

Would go through carwow and take advantage of the finance loophole as I did before but is the new model likely to be significantly dearer when it's only a minor facelift? 

Thanks for any thoughts. 

It’s hard to say, depends if running “the very latest” matters to you.

im awaiting delivery of a new Superb estate, currently if you take the PCP option there’s a £3,000 deposit contribution from Skoda U.K. 

also went to Carwow so was armed with a strong target price when I went to the dealer. With the Skoda contribution I ended up give or take £6k off list (L&K with 150 ps Diesel engine), plus PX allowance matching the best offer for a straight purchase that I’d had (which was £4K more than We Buy Any Car offered...)

so i I think that if you wait for the facelift, such contribution and discounts may be harder to find (just guessing though). 

For me I preferred a car “now” based on what I consider to be a good deal, as opposed to waiting and potentially paying more.

• Thanks 1

I'm awaiting delivery of a new Superb Hatch.

I prefer to wait until the end of a `run` so all the potential `gremlins` have been ironed out.

Hope you make the right decision...whether now or later...one thing is for sure...you'll love it.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Steviedakota said:

New one is just a facelift isn't it? Not a great one either judging by the spy shots. If you could get a good deal on the outgoing it's still a great car.

Big difference which may matter to some are the LED headlights rather than the Xenons. And facelifts tend to depress pre-facelift values.

3 hours ago, Tom34 said:

Superb seems the best choice for a number of reasons but I just don't know whether to go ahead now or wait for the facelift. From images released I prefer the look of the current model but with 1.5L kangaroo issues maybe it's better to wait for the new engine. 

What kind of new engine is coming on Superb? 

I was looking at a new Superb myself, but as you mention, but I wait because I don't want the 1,5 l kangaroo, and the dry DSG...

Edited by Core2Duo

6 minutes ago, Core2Duo said:

What kind of new engine is coming on Superb? 

I was looking at a new Superb myself, but as you mention, but I wait because I don't want the 1,5 l kangaroo, and the dry DSG...

It will be a 1.4L hybrid.

According to the Karoq forum there is a software update that improves/fixes the kangarooing but not many people have had it done yet. 

15 minutes ago, Steviedakota said:

New one is just a facelift isn't it? Not a great one either judging by the spy shots. If you could get a good deal on the outgoing it's still a great car.

Yeah feels like they've taken a step backwards on the design.

It's the current petrol engine that's making me think twice really, will wait to see if further positive reports of the software updates materialise. 

3 minutes ago, Tom34 said:

According to the Karoq forum there is a software update that improves/fixes the kangarooing but not many people have had it done yet. 

Oh, okay. I thought there might be several other engines in addition to the new hybrid. :) 

But what about the clutch-problems and thing with the dry DSG - is that still a problem? It's more than just the kangaroo'ing, so I don't take the risk.

The hybrid is really interesting to me! + I don't have to worry about the dry DSG and kangarooing and things. :) Easy choice, isn't it? 

2 minutes ago, Core2Duo said:

Oh, okay. I thought there might be several other engines in addition to the new hybrid. :) 

But what about the clutch-problems and thing with the dry DSG - is that still a problem? It's more than just the kangaroo'ing, so I don't take the risk.

The hybrid is really interesting to me! + I don't have to worry about the dry DSG and kangarooing and things. :) Easy choice, isn't it? 

Yep sounds an easy choice for you. I'd be getting a manual, don't know much about the dry DSG I'm afraid. 

11 minutes ago, Tom34 said:

Yep sounds an easy choice for you. I'd be getting a manual, don't know much about the dry DSG I'm afraid. 

Ok, sorry! In Norway it isn't possible to buy the Superb with manual anymore. Just DSG. I thought it was the same in other countries. 

3 minutes ago, Core2Duo said:

Ok, sorry! In Norway it isn't possible to buy the Superb with manual anymore. Just DSG. I thought it was the same in other countries. 

Interesting, wonder why. And no need to apologise :)

50 minutes ago, Tom34 said:

That's 'cos they are 'Hopping Mad' .........  only joking but it's taken a while for VAG group to admit the problem .

Edited by Boxerdog1

31 minutes ago, BriskodaJeff said:

Buy it now, and then you will be ready for a new one a year after they introduce the Mk4 and have engineered out any problems from it:).

Will it really only be a year before the Mk4? If so what's the point of the facelift? 

3 minutes ago, Tom34 said:

Will it really only be a year before the Mk4? If so what's the point of the facelift? 

Sorry - no. I meant buy now, keep it 3-4 years then trade against a Mk4. Wait until the mk4 has a year under its belt and the initial issues that all new models have will have been ironed out. 

7 minutes ago, BriskodaJeff said:

Sorry - no. I meant buy now, keep it 3-4 years then trade against a Mk4. Wait until the mk4 has a year under its belt and the initial issues that all new models have will have been ironed out. 

Ah I see. May well do so. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, xman said:

Big difference which may matter to some are the LED headlights rather than the Xenons. And facelifts tend to depress pre-facelift values.

Those are the reasons I'm looking at extending my lease past September. Trouble is nobody still knows for sure when the facelift model will be available for order/delivery, even if it's officially launched at Frankfurt in September...

7 hours ago, Ohknow said:

Will the 220 tsi petrol be a190 tsi like rest of v.a.g cars.looked on cars2buy had 1.5 petrol and 272 petrol but no 220.

There won't be a 220tsi, only the 184tsi or 272tsi.

Biggest change should be full LEDs.  Apart from that, the changes are minor which is no bad thing as it lessens the impact of heavier potential depreciation if the outgoing and facelift models look similar.

13 hours ago, Tom34 said:

The next one, the Facelift - will b mk3.5, I reckon.

16 hours ago, xman said:

Is there a noticeable visual difference between xenons and leds to the average person? Or is longevity of the bulbs that appeals? 

6 minutes ago, Tom34 said:

Is there a noticeable visual difference between xenons and leds to the average person? Or is longevity of the bulbs that appeals? 

It depends.  Some xenons are good, some LED's are bad (and vice versa) :) . Beam pattern/alignment and the headlight cluster/lens itself are just as important as the lamp technology and kelvin rating IMO 

I've had full LED headlights on a previous car, IME they weren't as good as the 'upgraded' Osram Xenons I currently have in my Superb.  I wasn't really impressed with the OE Osrams fitted to the car so a half decent set of LED's would no doubt be seen as an improvement. 

• Thanks 1