help with door card panel removal

hi all,

I need to removal the metal panel behind the door membrane as its leaking water. I need to seal the metal panel behind the door membrane.

how easy is it to remove the panel?  I take it the window needs to come off as well?

any tips? how to? or videos  please?

I want to remove as less as possible 

panel behind door membrane.jpg

Behind that plastic membrane is the door inner skin and that is not removable without serious cutting of welds.

The window mechanism is on keyhole slots so you drop the glass down and release the glass clamping bolts, then undo a few turns on  the mechanism mounting screws and then lift it upwards to clear the keyhole slots and then you can extract it from the door

35 minutes ago, nige8021 said:

Behind that plastic membrane is the door inner skin and that is not removable without serious cutting of welds.

The window mechanism is on keyhole slots so you drop the glass down and release the glass clamping bolts, then undo a few turns on  the mechanism mounting screws and then lift it upwards to clear the keyhole slots and then you can extract it from the door

Thanks for the reply. Yes I just figured there is no panel behind the membrane. I recently put a new door membrane to avoid water getting through. Unfortunately I am still getting water behind the door membrane, no idea where it's come from 

Unfortunately, water is pretty much always going to get inside the door panel.  

What did you use to seal the replacement membrane in place?

Did you really reall make sure to leave no gaps in sealant or cuts in the plastic?

8 hours ago, mac11irl said:

Unfortunately, water is pretty much always going to get inside the door panel.  

What did you use to seal the replacement membrane in place?

Did you really reall make sure to leave no gaps in sealant or cuts in the plastic?

I used butyl strip and definitely no gaps left. yes I accept water is always going to get in the door card but in my case its  not draining through.  its almost as if the water is getting in from some where and running along the membrane and getting stuck there. I am 99% sure the membrane it self isn't a issue at all. 

Are the drain holes at the bottom of the door clear?

Easy test, open the door and put news paper under it on the ground. Then pour a couple of jugs of water along the outside of the door, better yet get someone to, and watch where it goes and comes out.

If its coming that way, youll spot it.

If its all clear, then its the door frame seal.

On ‎04‎/‎04‎/‎2019 at 10:00, mac11irl said:

Easy test, open the door and put news paper under it on the ground. Then pour a couple of jugs of water along the outside of the door, better yet get someone to, and watch where it goes and comes out.

hi mate,

I have done what you suggested . I poured water from outside . the water is leaking through the door seal as circled in blue in the picture. so take it its new door seal time?  I wanted to put a video up on here but I cant unfortunately as it says file size too big 

InkedWATER LEAK_LI.jpg

On 04/04/2019 at 10:00, mac11irl said:

Thats actually normal :D

i know it sounds ridiculous, but its essentially impossible to completely seal the window and have it openable.

the water getting into the door should get out through the drain holes located on the underside of the panel.

if its getting out higher than that, theres a hole or gap in the plastic/sealing of the door membrane.

i used 1500 gauge plastic and sealed it in place with liberal pvc pipe jointing adhesive (plastic waste pipes under your kitchen/bathroom sink)

13 hours ago, mac11irl said:

Thats actually normal :D

i know it sounds ridiculous, but its essentially impossible to completely seal the window and have it openable.

the water getting into the door should get out through the drain holes located on the underside of the panel.

if its getting out higher than that, theres a hole or gap in the plastic/sealing of the door membrane.

i used 1500 gauge plastic and sealed it in place with liberal pvc pipe jointing adhesive (plastic waste pipes under your kitchen/bathroom sink)

Are you serious? there is just too much water getting in - what do you suggest because all the drain holes are fine . you putting it down to the membrane then?  I have ordered a new door seal any way as it has gone a bit too soft .

Edited by hussair5

On ‎12‎/‎04‎/‎2019 at 11:05, pikpilot said:

How many drain holes have you found? There are drain holes toward the rear of the door too.

rear of  the door?  The only drain holes I have found are at the bottom of the door? 

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎15‎/‎04‎/‎2019 at 10:19, hussair5 said:

rear of  the door?  The only drain holes I have found are at the bottom of the door? 

can any one tell me please guys where the drain holes are other the bottom of the door?  

Pikpilot meant the bottom of the door, towards the latch end (rear of the car)

Im pretty sure looking at the pics and video again though, the problem with your water was the thickness of the bead of sealant you put on, left a little "pocket" between the plastic and the frame for water to run down into. The sealant also didnt look very flattened, so i guarantee there was gap. Any wrinkle/gap even teeny tiny ones can let a surprising amount of water through.

If it was the drin holes blocked there wouldve been a swimming pool of water the whole way up from the bottom of the door frame, which isnt the case.

25 minutes ago, mac11irl said:

Pikpilot meant the bottom of the door, towards the latch end (rear of the car)

Im pretty sure looking at the pics and video again though, the problem with your water was the thickness of the bead of sealant you put on, left a little "pocket" between the plastic and the frame for water to run down into. The sealant also didnt look very flattened, so i guarantee there was gap. Any wrinkle/gap even teeny tiny ones can let a surprising amount of water through.

If it was the drin holes blocked there wouldve been a swimming pool of water the whole way up from the bottom of the door frame, which isnt the case.

appreciate your reply one again mate. this has been going on for months and I am now losing my patience with it.

I have even bought a outer door seal but as you mentioned water is still going to get in any way. so when the water gets in the door, is it suppose to run down the membrane on to the drain holes?  

Essentially yes.

So you want the membrane as tight to to the frame as you can get it, so the water cant pool anywhere.

That why i used pvc pipe adhesive laid on thick, and really really press and spread the plastic into it so that its fully flat and fully sealed. But dont press too hard or it could rip..

Then i laid a full seam of duct tape all around the edge, after id let it cure and checked the plastic for gaps.

Also worth putting a bit of silicon or similar where the door clips screw back on, to make sure they dont let anything through, esp the ones along the bottom.

47 minutes ago, mac11irl said:

Essentially yes.

So you want the membrane as tight to to the frame as you can get it, so the water cant pool anywhere.

That why i used pvc pipe adhesive laid on thick, and really really press and spread the plastic into it so that its fully flat and fully sealed. But dont press too hard or it could rip..

Then i laid a full seam of duct tape all around the edge, after id let it cure and checked the plastic for gaps.

Also worth putting a bit of silicon or similar where the door clips screw back on, to make sure they dont let anything through, esp the ones along the bottom.

thanks mate.  My membrane wasn't tight at the bottom, the way I sealed it, it was allowing the water to just sit .

you have been a great help . Thanks

• Like 1

Oh, one other thing i just remembered i did..  

Wgere you have put the hole in for the wiring loom & door pull bar etc, 

I also put some duct tape swatches and then cut through that, so it wouldnt risk the plastic ripping too much, and reduce the wear in it from door opening etc.. 

19 minutes ago, mac11irl said:

Oh, one other thing i just remembered i did..  

Wgere you have put the hole in for the wiring loom & door pull bar etc, 

I also put some duct tape swatches and then cut through that, so it wouldnt risk the plastic ripping too much, and reduce the wear in it from door opening etc.. 

I didn't really cover the holes. I wasn't very detailed to be honest . I wasn't really aware a little bit of a hole will have such big impact . so this time I will put a tape around it 

• Thanks 1

yeah, water is a ****** for making a much bigger mess than you'd think!

Think about it this way..

If a drippy leak fills a teaspoon every 2mins, thats not much but.. its still 150ml over an hour. Or... a coke can full every 2.5hrs.. that suddenly adds up..

Edited by mac11irl