Back after 3 years.

Hi

Not posted on here since July 2016 when I was considering a Superb Estate - bad dealer experience made me spit my dummy out and I went for a Mercedes C CLass Estate - which to be fair has been absolutely faultless for past 3 years.

BUT Really need the extra space a Superb/Kodiaq will bring - so here I am.

So I have 2 models in  mind - 2.0 TDI SE 4wd or 1.5 TSI SEL.

Pros and Cons of each vehicle ?

Dave

Edited by whiteswan

12 hours ago, whiteswan said:

Hi

Not posted on here since July 2016 when I was considering a Superb Estate - bad dealer experience made me spit my dummy out and I went for a Mercedes C CLass Estate - which to be fair has been absolutely faultless for past 3 years.

BUT Really need the extra space a Superb/Kodiaq will bring - so here I am.

So I have 2 models in  mind - 2.0 TDI SE 4wd or 1.5 TSI SEL.

Pros and Cons of each vehicle ?

Dave

Depends on use case, personally I would not pick the 1.5 TSI if you do big miles on fast motorways fully laden, however if you poodle around town and do fewer than 10-15 k miles the 1.5 is more than enough.

SE is poverty spec, while SEL spec is pretty generous with many good features as standard.

LED headlights. Hot seats. KESSY. 19” wheels. Alcantara. 

But I’m biased.

Edited by BoxerBoy
  • Like 2

Hi

Thanks for the input - I only have 13,000 on the Mercedes estate in almost 3 years so not huge miles.

But I do carry a lot of heavy equipment a lot of the time.

I thin se-l is looking more promising.

I have a google pixel 3 which I assume will work on android auto on the Kodiaq.

Dave

Depending where you are, heated windscreen. If you carry kids in the back, the kids pack, where  you can turn the child locks on or off from the drivers seat rather than faffing around. Spare wheel. And also area dependent winter wheels/tyres or all season tyres.

I've never wanted / needed a camera, sunroof, parking or ACC to name a few, so my dosh went on hot screen, paddles (with mandatory hot wheel), spare wheel, paint, 3 zone AC, front sensors.

Love it.

Edited by BoxerBoy

I've got a black sel, tan leather seats,which are heated front & rear, heated steering wheel, tables back of seats, remote folding rear seats & 19" Black gloss triglav alloys. 

Having the reverse camera fitted soon, I know I'm biase but the car looks the dogs nuts! 

oh & I debadged the boot!

3 hours ago, BoxerBoy said:

I've never wanted / needed a camera, 

Me neither ... until I had one!  I find it brilliant for the (otherwise dreadful) rear vision in the Kodiaq, and now find it very odd to drive my other, older, cars which don't have it.

I can, and do, reverse using my door mirrors, but they can never tell me, within a cm or so, where the back of the car is, when trying to align it with the boundaries of a parking space, or other vehicle when manoeuvring is tight.  

It also works at night, with much clearer vision than the reversing lights give.

I’d HIGHLY recommend getting the rearview camera.

Edited by DaveMiller
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, DaveMiller said:

Me neither ... until I had one!  I find it brilliant for the (otherwise dreadful) rear vision in the Kodiaq, and now find it very odd to drive my other, older, cars which don't have it.

I can, and do, reverse using my door mirrors, but they can never tell me, within a cm or so, where the back of the car is, when trying to align it with the boundaries of a parking space, or other vehicle when manoeuvring is tight.  

It also works at night, with much clearer vision than the reversing lights give.

I’d HIGHLY recommend getting the rearview camera.

I went from no cameras or parking sensors (‘08 X-Trail) to my Kodiaq with full area view and 360° parking sensors standard. Absolute godsend. 

I’d go rear camera + front (and rear) parking sensors. Make sure those are from the factory as there are many complaints about dealers installing aftermarket sensors that don’t work with the infotainment system properly. 

No idea what the spec is on UK models so will leave the rest for everyone else. 

I've driven cars with and without reversing camera's. I decided to save the £385.

For me the rear parking sensors offer as much coverage than the camera via my ears, but free up my eyes.

• Like 1

@whiteswan  The SE spec misses quite a few toys, but some of the extras on next spec probably get little used.

If only doing 4500 miles per year, avoid the diesel, the ones to euroVI (temp d) emissions spec really need to get fully warmed through regularly.  They clog up otherwise 

Do you need 4 wheel drive, even those come with tyres not designed for muddy fields or icy weather.  They all (both 2wd and 4wd) come with summer tyres that are eco biased so poor off road.  

For many local journeys (where roads often poor), would be better to choose smaller wheel rims, because alternative tyres cheaper, and if you carry heavy stuff, consider XL rated tyres which are designed for heavier loads

Edited by SurreyJohn
Typo and missing bracket
  • Like 1

Thank you

I can't see for my personal use adding anything extra than the rear camera to be honest - I have been spoilt with it ever since owning a Primera more than 15 years ago !!

Is there a  "facelift" on the horizon ?

Dave 

2 hours ago, whiteswan said:

Thank you

I can't see for my personal use adding anything extra than the rear camera to be honest - I have been spoilt with it ever since owning a Primera more than 15 years ago !!

Is there a  "facelift" on the horizon ?

Dave 

The Kodiaq is under 2 years old, have been some engine changes (due to emissions) as new engines weren’t ready at launch.  Not likely to get a facelift for another 2-3 years

From memory, it is Scala (May), Kamiq (end 2019), Octavia (2020), Fabia (about 2 years away) so no restyle of Kodiaq.   Not sure on Superb but facelift likely in 2020

I've had my 1.4TSi for just over a year now, done 6300 miles and regularly carry heavy loads. Normally 16 to 20 75lt bags of compost and fertilizers.  Can't say that I've ever felt a loss of pulling power whilst loaded so never been disappointed in that area.  Fantastic engine if you do under 10,000 a year, and of course bearing in mind petrol is 10p cheaper a litre.   So SE L is the best choice, and I would say that the amount of miles you do, petrol would be the way forward.

51658219_557554654750303_5596184134323011584_n.jpg

51861102_557554641416971_5917670897514184704_n.jpg

51585743_557554698083632_4951802928114434048_n.jpg

23 hours ago, Markymate said:

I've had my 1.4TSi for just over a year now, done 6300 miles and regularly carry heavy loads. Normally 16 to 20 75lt bags of compost and fertilizers.  Can't say that I've ever felt a loss of pulling power whilst loaded so never been disappointed in that area.  Fantastic engine if you do under 10,000 a year, and of course bearing in mind petrol is 10p cheaper a litre.   So SE L is the best choice, and I would say that the amount of miles you do, petrol would be the way forward.

51658219_557554654750303_5596184134323011584_n.jpg

51861102_557554641416971_5917670897514184704_n.jpg

51585743_557554698083632_4951802928114434048_n.jpg

This is useful to know - thank you.

Dave

To decide between SE and SEL, one factor is if you want more boot space, as SE is only trim that has 5 seats now.  I wanted the larger boot rather than the extra 2 seats, so have ordered an SE with plenty of options to make it more comfortable / useful (heated windscreen/seats, folding towbar, front and rear sensors, etc).

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Stu_Magoo said:

SE is only trim that has 5 seats now.

Thats a pain and a bit odd. Even in Ireland we can have all trim lines - Scout, Sportline & VRS included - with 5 or 7 seats. They charge us an extra €1,000 for the 7 seaters.

With the size of the UK market compared to our small one, I'd have thought Skoda UK would have wanted to keep everyone happy, option wise.  Hell, we usually get less options on engines etc. Theres a lot of people here who use a Kodiaq class SUV for work or dogs /bikes etc and don't need 7 seats or want to loose any space through having them....