Rear view camera

Danco

1 hour ago, Danco said:

I saw this video on Youtube.

Is this standard or is some addon?

By the time you've followed this you could have a lot of angry drivers hitting their horns, easier to just park it as you should have been taught!

• Haha 1

FFS what is the world coming to :worried:

All new car buyers seem to want is to have wi-fi and be able to sync their phones, all car adverts are nothing but carzy lifestyle statements, watched one this morning with 2 cars drifting in the bottom of a partially filled swimming pool, as you do :dull: - no sign of the crane that would have lowered them in there.

Drivers are being dumbed down for the eventual capitulation to self driving cars, by the time they are ready nobody will have a clue how to drive anyway.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Macdemon said:

Assuming your car does not have park assist, then it may be some aid to facilitate easy parking.

How did they ever manage to pass their test if they can't park without electronic aids?

Looks the same as the optional camera fitted to my Kodiaq. 

From the menu down the right hand side of the screen you can choose between traverse parking, parallel parking, driving up to a trailer view or wide angle view for reversing out of driveway etc.

64362453-3798-4C58-9705-D8E689A204B7.jpeg

On 07/04/2019 at 21:50, don_kiddik said:

How did they ever manage to pass their test if they can't park without electronic aids?

Why does wanting to have an easy method of parking mean that they can't park? 

I'm perfectly capable of driving within a lane, but lane assist is nice to have. 

I'm capable of reversing a vehicle but a camera is nice to have and makes it easy. 

Trying to feel superior than other people because their car has these features is lame. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Karoqing said:

Trying to feel superior than other people because their car has these features is lame. 

Where in my sentence did I say I was superior? My Karoq has some of the features but I (VERY) rarely use them!

Looks like a lot of button pressing for an old fart like me who does not (yet) need any assistance.

My father wisely gave up driving before he needed to, he had remarried and my stepmother was 25 years younger than him and also a back seat driver and someone who would criticise everyone so he just let her drive for a quiet life and said a few inshallahs each time they set out, he did keep his license though and continued to be insured because up till he passed away at tha age of 90 he still had to park the car for her :speechless: Someone must have taken her test for her or the examiner thought he was on a promise.

Now she drives on her own she features in lots of Youtube parking videos :D

I like the sound of the driving up to a trailer mode if it looks right down on the ballhitch.

My Style in some stupid reason have only low end car with lower resolution ( compare to my previous Superb) and guide lines are not following steering wheel.

2 hours ago, don_kiddik said:

Where in my sentence did I say I was superior? My Karoq has some of the features but I (VERY) rarely use them!

Perhaps it was the tone of what you said which suggested that people who have these features can't park without them. You didn't reply to that aspect of the post.

They're convenience features and optional. You don't have to spec them if you don't want them. I think your comment (and others) does have a condescending sort of ring to it. "Drivers these days".

For the record, other convenience features of today include:

Power steering (for babies with no upper body strength)

Electric windows (for lazy People who can't be bothered to wind a handle a couple times)

Parking sensors (for people who haven't made themselves intimately aware of the car's exact dimensions)

Auto lights (for people who can't even turn a switch they're so lazy)

Wing mirrors plural (some snowflakes need to see both sides of the car!)

And so on and so forth.

As cars have evolved things that are options and extras and would once have been seen as unnecessary additions have become standard. Mostly without complaint.

Some of these things are different and mark a significant change to usage and driving of cars and others don't. What does tend to be the case though is that the bemoaning of these optional features comes from people that are trying to make some point about how they don't need it so why would anybody else want it? Which is to say, a very narrow point of view.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Stevieweevie said:

As cars have evolved things that are options and extras and would once have been seen as unnecessary additions have become standard. Mostly without complaint.

Some of these things are different and mark a significant change to usage and driving of cars and others don't. What does tend to be the case though is that the bemoaning of these optional features comes from people that are trying to make some point about how they don't need it so why would anybody else want it? Which is to say, a very narrow point of view.

I am all for improvements and refinements, as cars continue to evolve. Eg disc brakes are so much better than drum brakes. Radial tyres better than cross ply. Lane assist is one I purposely didn't want on my Karoq - I had it on the previous Sportage and found it to be unnecessary - I need to "drive" the car anyway so why not steer. To my mind there is little gain, little advantage of having this extra. My last 5 or so cars have had cruise control but I have never used it for a similar reason. But electric windows are faster than manual winding, sensors, reversing camera and auto lights are useful additions.

The Sportage had self park, which I used a handful of times, more as a novelty as anything. Each to their own.

1 minute ago, OldKaroq said:

I am all for improvements and refinements, as cars continue to evolve. Eg disc brakes are so much better than drum brakes. Radial tyres better than cross ply. Lane assist is one I purposely didn't want on my Karoq - I had it on the previous Sportage and found it to be unnecessary - I need to "drive" the car anyway so why not steer. To my mind there is little gain, little advantage of having this extra. My last 5 or so cars have had cruise control but I have never used it for a similar reason. But electric windows are faster than manual winding, sensors, reversing camera and auto lights are useful additions.

The Sportage had self park, which I used a handful of times, more as a novelty as anything. Each to their own.

That's kind of my point; each to their own. All these things are aids, unlike autonomous driving they are to help the driver, not to drive for them. Everything that I mentioned are not necessities, a driver can manage without them.

What I was pointing out was that the apparent implication that you shouldn't need any of these things to safely drive and operate your car. This is true. But when people are discussing these features in a very dismissive way I feel a bit of frustration. Because, as you say, each to their own. Don't want it? Don't buy it. Have it anyway? Then don't use it. Why complain about having options, as that's surely a good thing?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, OldKaroq said:

Unless you have driven 1000 miles to Eastern Europe in 24 hours, I can understand why Adaptive Cruise would be not useful for you, however for me it is a life saver, same for lane assist. Be careful with the parts of the German autobahn that have building works as the lane assist doesn't like the yellow lines and must be turned off in those sections :)

Being past my three score years etc and needing to get rid of my Yeti now the TBM had run out I decided my next car needed to be as easy to drive as possible as my abilities will only get worse. My wife was sceptical regarding the auto and now would not be without it. From doing handbrake turns to park my Ford Anglia in the sixties I now have a car with a reversing camera and no handbrake.  Autohold is brilliant. From 6 volt lighting on my first motorbike to full leds, the best lighting I have ever had on any vehicle. Don’t decry driver aids, someday you will need them. 

Tom 

2 hours ago, TonyTonic said:

Unless you have driven 1000 miles to Eastern Europe in 24 hours, I can understand why Adaptive Cruise would be not useful for you, however for me it is a life saver, same for lane assist. Be careful with the parts of the German autobahn that have building works as the lane assist doesn't like the yellow lines and must be turned off in those sections :)

Wow! Thats some mileage. I doubt I do 2000 motorway miles a YEAR, out of a total of 8,000. I do not envy you, and if I had ACC I am sure I would use it under those circumstances.

Your point is well made, as are those of Stevieweevie and Sanquar. Im pleased Skoda has a good options list. I am in the position now  of knowing just what I want and what I can do without. 

When having the previous car, I was wondering why don't the car makers just install big enough side mirrors, instead of developing blind spot detection systems. Now, after using this system in my Karoq, I got so used with it and it gives me so much confidence that there is no car on my side, that I feel its absence whenever I drive a car without it.

The same for rear view camera and rear and front sensors. I never hit any car without them(or almost, I'm lying), but now, if I drive a car without them,

I feel that it's a pure guess where the car ends.

I consider great that US and EU want to force the car makers to include the rear view camera as a standard equipement to all the cars sold in their countries.

Edited by Gabi4

I received my Karoq today.

I confirm no option like on the video.  

Just two straight lines when you enable rear view camera.

There is no yellow guidance line also which is following when you turn the wheels.

• Like 1