7 seater SUV - Kodiaq Edition or Tiguan Allspace

I currently drive a VW Tiguan. I'm considering upgrading to a 7 seater model, and the Kodiaq comes out better than the Allspace on some review sites. I'm mainly concerned with reliability, and whilst I've had a few VW's with no problems, I've never had a Skoda, and I'm old enough to remember the old jokes (Skip etc). Can anyone assist my decision-making please?

Thanks in advance

Chris

I'm afraid that we're all biased.

KODIAQ every time. Any cold hearted comparison would suggest the Big Tiguan is poor value for money alongside a Bear.

But remember we're biased.

Reliability is not an issue. All 21st century cars are a lottery.

Last week I took a family member's Q5 for a service and some (3) planned recall actions.

The dealer failed miserably as they did not have a (recall) thermostat unit and could not make the A.C. Switch come back to life. So time and effort must be wasted in 2 weeks time in the hope that (a) they have a thermostat and (b) they might figure out how to get the A.C. Switched on again.

Edited by BoxerBoy

Interested in this to as I’m in a similar dilemma.  But ours is the Kodiaq or normal Tiguan, I know the first answer is not comparable as Kodiaq is 7 seater but we like the sport line but can’t get it in 5 seat, and unfortunately had to rule out the karoq as the sport line seats are fixed, so boot capacity can’t be increased.

so come on you friendly lot, help us out  please :-)

It's very simple. KODIAQ SEL 7 seat with a few extras is All The Car You'll Ever Need.

Go read the latest reports on the L&K of VRS models to see that the reviewers don't reckon they deliver value for money. But each to their own.

Life is full of compromises. My Bear is part of that conundrum.

When I was thinking about my purchase last year the Allspace had just come out, but it turned out the wait time for one was even longer than the Kodiaq! Something to do with it coming from Mexico I think. Being impatient, I bought a Kodiaq from stock:biggrin:

No regrets.

However, I don't actually use the 3rd row of seats. If these are important to you I would check carefully what the 2 cars offer in terms of space, isofix etc. e.g. the Kodiaq has no isofix connectors in the 3rd row.

SEAT Tarraco, but I am biased as I've ordered one.

However, the good deals are finished now, no more 0% APR PCP and the first edition models might be coming to an end, have a look in a few weeks, they might introduce good finance contributions again and more options

Edited by TonyTonic

For me Kodiaq would be better value for money.... I am undecided on my next car... 

Kodiaq was what I was thinking... but the boot is not quite big enough (2 St Bernards)... or may not be...

Not sure the dealer will let me stick them in there as a trial in their showroom..... 

So may go the LR Discovery... as It seems to have the biggest boot in a 4x4.... unless you go pick up - double cab.

Its the height that's the restriction... rather than width or depth...

The dog cage for the Kodiaq is just 685mm tall but 810mm tall for Disco 5 and 889mm tall for Disco 4..  I assume its due to the smaller opening... to get the cage inside...  thats the limit - Transk9  cages..

Assuming you mean the full fat Discovery, and not the Discovery Sport (replacement for the Freelander), then they're another one or two steps up in terms of size and price compared with a Kodiaq / Allspace / Tarraco.

Yes - the proper Discovery...  list of 70K for the 3.0 TDI HSE with a few extra's..... but around 62 if you shop around..... with some discount.... a year or 2 old one is similar price to a Kodiaq L&K .... new...

For that reason the Kodiaq is favourite... just not sure because of the boot size...

I have another 16 months before I change my Yeti....  and need to decide before then.. as currently I run the Yeti for work and Suzuki GV - with back seats down and a specially build in dog box.... for the dog..  and want to go down to just one car for work / dog and my wife's  car... (so 2 instead of 3)  which we just swapped to a Karoq for the grandchildren and her....  and to act as the weekend run about...

Where we live need 4x4 with snow tyre in winter as the access road ices up..

• Like 1

Looked at both. Ended up in the kodiaq. Much more space than the allspace (noticeable in the back and rearmost seats/boot). Wife loves the car too, so in my mind that makes it a winner.

i do have a couple of niggles with mine, but mechanically it’s fine. Really comfortable over long journeys with decent economy (as long as not round town)

On 09/04/2019 at 13:19, SimonAudi said:

Yes - the proper Discovery...  list of 70K for the 3.0 TDI HSE with a few extra's..... but around 62 if you shop around..... with some discount.... a year or 2 old one is similar price to a Kodiaq L&K .... new...

For that reason the Kodiaq is favourite... just not sure because of the boot size...

I have another 16 months before I change my Yeti....  and need to decide before then.. as currently I run the Yeti for work and Suzuki GV - with back seats down and a specially build in dog box.... for the dog..  and want to go down to just one car for work / dog and my wife's  car... (so 2 instead of 3)  which we just swapped to a Karoq for the grandchildren and her....  and to act as the weekend run about...

Where we live need 4x4 with snow tyre in winter as the access road ices up..

Is the tiguan allspace available as a 5 seat? It has a bigger boot than the kodiaq which is now 7 seat-only Plus it has a lower lower loading lip so the overall height available should be larger

• Thanks 1

Car is almost same size L &W - no details given on boot sizes - but I guess its like Kodiak 7 seater that fold in floor

As the chassis and body are similar - I doubt there is much difference - but would need to measure in the dealer..

Good thing on All Space is the 240BHP diesel engine..

The kodiaq boot is designed with the 7 seat in mind so the load lip is higher/flush with the seats on the 7 seat version while The Tiguan and Terraco have a lower opening lip but then a 'step' up inside the car if you have the 7 seat version, or its flush when you have the 5 seat version.

overall volume is similar as is the length, as you say they are the same car underneath.

I heard they were discontinuing the 240 engine in the allspace?

I went and looked at the Tiguan All Space and also the Tourag earlier.

All space as was said - 7 seats (or at least the model I looked at and the floor is raised above the lip.. but not enough height..

The Tourag is a little (not much) higher - but - not deep enough and also not high enough... 800 max height but only about 400 deep at sort of head height due to the angle on the hatch...

So neither are an option...

• 3 weeks later...
9 minutes ago, rothair said:

Just as a matter of interest, does the Kodiaq come with 3 isofix points in the rear seats?

Only the two outer seats on row 2 have isofix 

7 minutes ago, Kenny R said:

Only the two outer seats on row 2 have isofix 

Very few cars have three ISOfix points in row two and even fewer in row three.

a lot of french cars do it that have individual seats that recline and slide individually

2 minutes ago, rothair said:

many thanks

That's why I think I am going to have to say bye bye to my much loved Skoda

look at the Peugeot 5008 i think that has three, not sure though or the bigger `german premium SUVs but that's another price point

https://www.whatcar.com/news/best-cars-for-three-child-seats/n16742

Edited by TonyTonic