New or improved hubs announced, Government EV Loans in Scotland and free & no longer free public charging places..

Ootohere

It does have to be political because the Scottish Conservative & Unionists are saying how poor the roll out of chargers are.

(More facts needed regarding which political parties for the council in the 32 regions then with the lowest number.)

It is true and actually the worst amount performance for the number of chargers installed and working and planned are in Conservative & Unionist run council regions & Scottish Labour or where they jointly run the councils.  It is Local Authorities that are responsible for their charging infrastructure.

http://democratonline.net/2023/09/24/snp-green-government-miles-off-meeting-electric-charging-point-target

Screenshot 2023-09-22 13.54.00.jpg

Screenshot 2023-09-22 13.53.35.jpg

Screenshot 2023-09-24 07.59.38.png

Screenshot 2023-09-24 08.29.21.jpg

Edited by toot

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

I don't understand the policy of this massive dash to EV's. EV's aren't environmentally friendly to the point of exploiting a country out of sight out of mind with children working in appalling conditions whilst destroying huge areas of countryside; EV's burning out electric bikes not only exploding but burning houses down; increasing strain on national grid which is already stressed during a severe winter; millions of hours totally wasted waiting for an EV to be charged often on a very exposed site without even a roof covering.

£12.50 per day on top of already sky high energy bills; I could go on and on; it's down to the person spending money as to choice taken; I won't enter into prolonged discussions regarding EV/ICE because now I'm aged 76 I'm hoping apart from accident our Yeti will last us out.

image.png.c80e794142afef3fb34fd99f55e9d4c8.png

Here's our Yeti totally compliant with ULEZ  IT'S A 2.0L DIESEL it can be fueled at most street corners in minutes under a roof and will travel 500/600 miles on a single tank full of diesel; after 100 years of infrastructure building everything is already in place to completely look after ICE vehicles from fueling to scrapping so why all this upheaval to go EV especially when the UK is such a small polluter (?) compared to other countries. The UK heavy industry is being phased out being replaced by fast food outlets;  sports people are treated like gods. I see EV's as just another money making tax to boost government coffers a great deal more than it makes to the environment. I was born in 1947 during the worst winter on record; coal was king; industry booming coal fires causing fog & smog but in those days we enjoyed proper seasons without worrying about the ice cap melting. Where were the polluting cars then.

https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-d&sca_esv=558044001&sxsrf=AB5stBj6wsE44Ocl6M95WEgZSwWC4vyYYg:1692343088789&q=winter+1947+photos&tbm=isch&source=univ&fir=sQJ-qFjZjHEaAM%252CAM9AULsWLqbULM%252C_%253B_7Y9nKnLV-Q9BM%252C-EP8gzXSDac9tM%252C_%253Bxu70G5tUlAk8qM%252CNlDhsMOSoCW1VM%252C_%253BXIB-ddRlkIRnFM%252CxV_Q2OXMo8dSjM%252C_%253BEdNJKbdzWxm1kM%252CSljOj0dGmWBb8M%252C_%253B6t5XLre_O5Qw2M%252CYDuJOKz8VcYROM%252C_%253BRt5KYNjCTWyYEM%252C5bm6UsHR31ZAbM%252C_%253BJIqiZhUYXi7M2M%252C-HT8uDneuD-ELM%252C_%253Bk5ub4crYGQDaoM%252CcBFzR9c9kJ9F9M%252C_%253BXhKqiInpCOx0nM%252C8erX_yFaGE4eAM%252C_%253Bx4R0oZ-LDfogVM%252CkyTvIrKgJ9XocM%252C_%253BufTBnrAp7MsliM%252CY5zJQHI1DJ_VdM%252C_%253Bw84HZrKWcXwGQM%252CbZQqL1u6U1xOXM%252C_&usg=AI4_-kTuaeh36WR34wf-XSeZq4gBs6nu0g&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjHtJSl1eWAAxXrTEEAHWOcBCEQjJkEegQIIBAC&biw=1920&bih=927&dpr=1

Years ago the government wanted everyone in diesel vehicles now diesel is bad and EV are now good; in another few years I expect another change when another new fuel is being pushed by the government.

Just my views and no offense meant to anyone. We love our ULEZ Compliant 2.0L DIESEL Skoda Yeti; I've just done lots of rustproofing because it's a keeper and perfect for our needs; at 7 years old I believe it's actually gong up in value. 

Kind regards, Colin.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Fabcol said:

Hi,

I don't understand the policy of this massive dash to EV's. EV's aren't environmentally friendly to the point of exploiting a country out of sight out of mind with children working in appalling conditions whilst destroying huge areas of countryside; EV's burning out electric bikes not only exploding but burning houses down; increasing strain on national grid which is already stressed during a severe winter; millions of hours totally wasted waiting for an EV to be charged often on a very exposed site without even a roof covering.

£12.50 per day on top of already sky high energy bills; I could go on and on; it's down to the person spending money as to choice taken; I won't enter into prolonged discussions regarding EV/ICE because now I'm aged 76 I'm hoping apart from accident our Yeti will last us out.

image.png.c80e794142afef3fb34fd99f55e9d4c8.png

Here's our Yeti totally compliant with ULEZ  IT'S A 2.0L DIESEL it can be fueled at most street corners in minutes under a roof and will travel 500/600 miles on a single tank full of diesel; after 100 years of infrastructure building everything is already in place to completely look after ICE vehicles from fueling to scrapping so why all this upheaval to go EV especially when the UK is such a small polluter (?) compared to other countries. The UK heavy industry is being phased out being replaced by fast food outlets;  sports people are treated like gods. I see EV's as just another money making tax to boost government coffers a great deal more than it makes to the environment. I was born in 1947 during the worst winter on record; coal was king; industry booming coal fires causing fog & smog but in those days we enjoyed proper seasons without worrying about the ice cap melting. Where were the polluting cars then.

https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-d&sca_esv=558044001&sxsrf=AB5stBj6wsE44Ocl6M95WEgZSwWC4vyYYg:1692343088789&q=winter+1947+photos&tbm=isch&source=univ&fir=sQJ-qFjZjHEaAM%252CAM9AULsWLqbULM%252C_%253B_7Y9nKnLV-Q9BM%252C-EP8gzXSDac9tM%252C_%253Bxu70G5tUlAk8qM%252CNlDhsMOSoCW1VM%252C_%253BXIB-ddRlkIRnFM%252CxV_Q2OXMo8dSjM%252C_%253BEdNJKbdzWxm1kM%252CSljOj0dGmWBb8M%252C_%253B6t5XLre_O5Qw2M%252CYDuJOKz8VcYROM%252C_%253BRt5KYNjCTWyYEM%252C5bm6UsHR31ZAbM%252C_%253BJIqiZhUYXi7M2M%252C-HT8uDneuD-ELM%252C_%253Bk5ub4crYGQDaoM%252CcBFzR9c9kJ9F9M%252C_%253BXhKqiInpCOx0nM%252C8erX_yFaGE4eAM%252C_%253Bx4R0oZ-LDfogVM%252CkyTvIrKgJ9XocM%252C_%253BufTBnrAp7MsliM%252CY5zJQHI1DJ_VdM%252C_%253Bw84HZrKWcXwGQM%252CbZQqL1u6U1xOXM%252C_&usg=AI4_-kTuaeh36WR34wf-XSeZq4gBs6nu0g&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjHtJSl1eWAAxXrTEEAHWOcBCEQjJkEegQIIBAC&biw=1920&bih=927&dpr=1

Years ago the government wanted everyone in diesel vehicles now diesel is bad and EV are now good; in another few years I expect another change when another new fuel is being pushed by the government.

Just my views and no offense meant to anyone. We love our ULEZ Compliant 2.0L DIESEL Skoda Yeti; I've just done lots of rustproofing because it's a keeper and perfect for our needs; at 7 years old I believe it's actually gong up in value. 

Kind regards, Colin.

Not sure why you have posted a diatribe about EVs on a thread about Scottish EV charging but hey ho.

The Lithium for most EVs is sourced from large open cast mines and only a tiny fraction from places like the Congo which use child labour and same for the small amount of rare earth metals which are no longer used by many of the EV manufacturers.

Whilst you Yeti scraps through just under pollution levels for NOX and other pollutants it may well not get through when EUR7 is brought in in 2025.  Every time you start your diesel engine it chucks several pollutants in to the air CO, HC, NOX, PMs.  I have guessed it is a 110 hp 2 litre CR engine.    https://car-emissions.com/cars/view/65739

Emissions
CO2 emissions 115 g/km
Carbon Monoxide 0.152 g/km
HC Emissions N/A
NOx Emissions 0.053 g/km
HC+NOx Emissions 0.069 g/km
Particulates Emissions 0.05 g/km

People with Asthma and other breathing conditions can be triggered elevated levels of air pollutants. In South Yorkshire traffic is slowed down due to the air pollution.

Today the air quality in Huddersfield is not great with the still-ish air and many polluting vehicles running around.

https://www.accuweather.com/en/gb/huddersfield/hd1-5/air-quality-index/331297#:~:text=Fair,-36 AQI&text=36 AQI-,The air quality is generally acceptable for most individuals.,symptoms from long-term exposure.

Technology moe forward and yes you are right in that a decade or so it was thought CO2 was the big air pollution issue but that has moved on to include NOX, HC, CO and PMs.

In most advanced countries governments are heavily subsidising EVs from everybodies taxes to try and reduce air pollution.  A figure of 40,000 foreshortened lives in the UK and millions world wide due to air pollution.

The UK government subsidising of EV purchases and paying subsidies for home chargers has largely gone but even this "conserving" UK government gives massive tax subsidies for EVs via the salary sacrifice provision effectively giving hundreds of pounds per month to those that obtain EVs via that scheme plus they have now upped the Heat pump subsidy from £5k to £7.5K in England.  Even they see the importance of driving down air pollution.

Fortunately the take up of EVs is remaining on a good course, despite the Con government back peddling and all the ridiculous anti EV press as UK EV owners can making up their own minds without the crap from The Sun, Express, Mail and Telegraph.   You may be disappointed in believing diesel engined vehicle will be allowed on roads for much more than the next decade and they almost certainly will not be an economical choice as electricity for cars continues to be a fraction of the price mile per mile plus servicing and road tax expenditure is also much cheap plus EVs are just more pleasant to drive. Had a SEAT with the 2 litre DSG CR engine and all my petrol hybrids and my EV are much more pleasant to drive.

Hope we can convince you to move to EV, or at least petrol hybrid and ditch the dirty diesel and you drive it to Scotland and find some nice cheap places to charge it up. 

Edited by lol-lol
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, lol-lol said:

electricity for cars continues to be a fraction of the price per mile

A recent thread by @toot showed the cost on a rapid charger as 79p/kWh, assuming 4miles/kWh that works out at 19.75p/mile.

I average 45mpg in my 2016 1.8TSI Octavia and I most recently paid 150.7p/litre that works out at 15.15p/mile.

So your comment is absolutely true when charging overnight at home (at 7p/kWh) but most certainly NOT true when having/choosing to use rapid chargers when away from home.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Just now, PetrolDave said:

A recent thread by @toot showed the cost on a rapid charger as 79p/kWh, assuming 4miles/kWh that works out at 19.75p/mile.

I average 45mpg in my 2016 1.8TSI Octavia and I most recently paid 150.7p/litre that works out at 15.15p/mile.

So your comment is absolutely true when charging overnight at home (at 7p/kWh) but most certainly NOT true when having/choosing to use rapid chargers when away from home.

When Moses came down from Mount Sinia he left the 3rd tablet back on the mountain but it read " NEVER PAY RETAIL".

If one needs to buy lecky at public charger then get a deal.

I have probably done about 1% public charging. Using Octopus 🐙 Electroverse that means 20% discount and postponed billing, very nice thank you.

79p is a nominal amount people should not pay. TESLA will rip up this market and half lecky costs it is looking like.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, PetrolDave said:

79p is on the most expensive end of the market. Comparing this to cheaper end of market for petrol is not comparing like-for-like.

Cheapest ultra-rapid charging is at Tesla, 50p/kWh via contactless payment.

There are cheaper and free public destination charging all about the places.

• Like 1

@PetrolDaveBecause i was stopping to shop beside a Osprey Charger after just 22 miles from setting off i used it just to help incase of diversions on pretty wet roads. 

4 kwh took 14 minutes @ 79 pence a kWh. £3.16

My next charge was in Stirling and 20 kWh @ 35 pence a kWh.  £7.00    (The ID Buzz was BP Pulse staff at Edinburgh Airport Park & Ride. 55 pence a kWg.

Bottom. Free charging & no time limit. Just the luck of getting on and a Big Battery car not parked for 12 hours a day (night)

on a AC tethered socket.

DSCN3851.JPG

DSCN3850.JPG

DSCN3854.JPG

DSCN3744.JPG

DSCN3742.JPG

DSCN3745.JPG

DSCN3794.JPG

Edited by toot

• 2 weeks later...

Tesla have opened 3 more sites in Scotland to non-Teslas. These are at-

• Eurocentral - Motherwell 53/61p
  • Fort William 50/61p
  • Inverness 50/61p

the prices are peak/off peak charges to rock up and charge. Membership takes around 20p off those prices. I think the Fort William ones will be busy, as other provision seems to be struggling there.

• Thanks 1

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

New Tariffs introduced from 1st April 2024 in Ayrshire for EV charging, Fast & Rapid.

This is the end of free charging in South & East Ayrshire. 

Electric vehicles obviously, so cars and vans, but then that is journalists for you, just say cars.

http://dailyrecord.co.uk/ayrshire/new-prices-charging-electric-cars-32142840

Penalty overstay charges, which is good, but then maybe chargers will be available as people might start charging at home now that it will not be free.

So 13.5 x 37 pence   Just under a fiver.

From a 50 kW charger.      Is someone having a laugh.    It might completely charging a very small battery as you might have in a PHEV not a BEV.

A 50 kWh Battery will not completely charge in 60 minutes, but if you were to get 45 kWh in 60 minutes that is £16.65

Screenshot 2024-02-19 22.30.13.png

Edited by Rooted

• 2 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

Montrose was not too bad for getting 50kW Rapid charging & Tesco or Lidl, or CPS / Angus Council chargers when working but the 105 kW charger at the Tool Station 'FOR:EV'

(90 pence a kWh. WTF)

or the EG Garage 150 kW will be a help to many. 'evpoint'  65 pence a kWh i think. 

Electroverse card / Octopus maybe cheaper, no idea sorry.

Especially useful because once into Aberdeenshire it is pathetic at Stonehaven.   

Screenshot 2024-03-03 15.19.15.jpg

Screenshot 2024-03-03 15.20.30.jpg

Edited by Rooted

28 minutes ago, Rooted said:

Montrose was not too bad for getting 50kW Rapid charging & Tesco or Lidl, or CPS / Angus Council chargers when working but the 105 kW charger at the Tool Station 'FOR:EV'

(90 pence a kWh. WTF)

or the EG Garage 150 kW will be a help to many. 'evpoint'  65 pence a kWh i think. 

Electroverse card / Octopus maybe cheaper, no idea sorry.

Especially useful because once into Aberdeenshire it is pathetic at Stonehaven.   

Screenshot 2024-03-03 15.19.15.jpg

Screenshot 2024-03-03 15.20.30.jpg

On Electrovese we get that 90p per kWh for a whole 5% or so less ie 86 p per kWh !!

EV point we get for 62 p per kWh, wow.

If one crosses the bridge on to Rossie Island there is one 22 kW charger, other is broken, fo 28 p per kWh, cheaper than my home tariff !

Other than that, for Electroverse it is Aberdeen or Dundee.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

@lol-lol  InstaVolt Forfar. £0.85 a kWh. Costa Coffee Monifieth. £0.85  60-160 kWh.

Forbes of Kingennie. £0.54 for 22 kW charging.      It is not cheap.   

Angus Council is still 41 pence on any charge speed and likely to be going up, not checked.

EDIT.

This will be passed.  30% increase. 

Plenty STOP THE PYLON PROTESTERS about.

Angus Council should be negotiating for cheaper electricity from the Grid & approving pylons but then they are going up anyway.

The Battery Farm and Solar Farm applications should go through on the nod for the community not just EV drivers, but the council & the NHS are the people that have a large fleet of EV,s in Angus. 

Screenshot 2024-03-03 16.23.19.png

Screenshot 2024-03-03 16.25.02.png

Edited by Rooted

19 minutes ago, Rooted said:

@lol-lol  InstaVolt Forfar. £0.85 a kWh. Costa Coffee Monifieth. £0.85  60-160 kWh.

Forbes of Kingennie. £0.54 for 22 kW charging.      It is not cheap.   

Angus Council is still 41 pence on any charge speed and likely to be going up, not checked.

EDIT.

This will be passed.  30% increase. 

Plenty STOP THE PYLON PROTESTERS about.

Angus Council should be negotiating for cheaper electricity from the Grid & approving pylons but then they are going up anyway.

The Battery Farm and Solar Farm applications should go through on the nod for the community not just EV drivers, but the council & the NHS are the people that have a large fleet of EV,s in Angus. 

Screenshot 2024-03-03 16.23.19.png

Screenshot 2024-03-03 16.25.02.png

Oh that reminds me.

Apparently the plan is to do a sea cable rather than pylons going from Peterhead to Drax or somewhere round there.

Keeps the Nimbys happy.

Sea cables are all the rage, perhaps until one or more get blown up or cut by a foreign power being sneaky.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Different renewables from different wind farms. That is Offshore, these are onshore generated.

The Pylons are from the already big and getting bigger substation at Kintore north of Aberdeen and going to Tealing north of Dundee via the new one not yet approved in the Mearns.

There are other feeder Supstations taking in onshore to the West (Perthshire & Angus via Alyth & Coupar Angus) and from Offshore of Angus / Fife, these feed to Tealing, then off south the valuable product heads to where it can be cheaper to consume than near where it is generated. 

Re-routed now around Forfar.  But then it was just about over the route of the Forties Pipeline on the edge of Forfar.

Imagine if the pipeline was to go t!ts up and take out the power lines.   Obviously someone thought of that.

(The T In the Park Music Festival was supposedly moved from Fife because the pipeline was next to the site,  there must be a hazard...)

Screenshot 2024-03-03 17.03.08.png

Edited by Rooted

Posted (edited)

^^^ Not uncommon in Scotland now as Commercial Public Chargers are being installed which reliably deliver electricity at the speeds many want and are prepared to get rather than Local Authority tax payer funded ones that can be poorly maintained & out of service. 

http://zap-map.com/news/nhs-scotland-welcomes-its-first-pop-electric-vehicle-charging-hub

Screenshot 2024-03-08 07.33.55.png

Edited by Rooted

I'm driving to Isle of Skye for a week of family holiday, fully loaded car and stuff. There doesn't seem to be much ultra rapid or rapid charging hubs in that area?

I've ordered a Chargeplace Scotland RFID. I've looked at my route up there, many options for supercharger stops. No problem driving up there and no problems around Glasgow and Edinburgh. But options beyond Fort William seems like 2017 with Leaf down here. A few 50 kW rapid charger and destination charging few and far in between.

Plan is Friday late afternoon drive motorway up to Glasgow, arrive just after midnight. Drive up to Isle of Skye the next day. Probably get a full charge at Fort William, but still need a little top up whilst going around Isle of Skye.

The 50kW chargers are OK for a lunch time top up or at the end of the day. Places like Skye where rapid charging is sparse, getting accomodation with a charger is very useful.

We used the CPS 50kW charger at Uig ferry terminal as it was 2 miles from our hotel. It needed a reboot on our first visit, but that was easily done following the on-screen instructions. After that it was reliable on the RFID card but other folks had issues with the web-pay system and the CPS app. would not start it. This information is close to two years old, so take with a pinch of salt. I've often said elsewhere to make use of AC chargers whenever possible when visiting attractions.

There are 50kW chargers at Mallaig or Skye Bridge before crossing to Skye, if you feel the need for a full battery on the island. I'm sure 300 miles would be sufficient 🙂

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

150kW chargers are being installed now by councils.  The 125 kW at Wallyford were the first I used when I could with the car that could charge up to 100 kW.   Dundee has them.    Today I was stuffed when I could not get the single 50kW charger started.     I thought I needed to head back 10 miles to get charged for early tomorrow but tried what was supposed to be a 22 kW charger that never ever gave 7 kW or even 3.6 over the past years.  I was surprised it worked.  So started at 2.20 pm at 41% and it says I will be at 100% at 5.45 pm.  Probably full by 5.30.      if this stays as is and the other AC,s in town stay reliable I do not have to bother from April when the minimum charge is £5 if that is just with Rapids.   Surely this is not going to apply to fast chargers or those with hybrids or need a few quids worth at 37 pence a kWh are being hammered.    PS. At 93% / 95 miles so heading back to get car.   PPS. 41-100% was 22kWh taken. 

Edited by Rooted
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Luckypants said:

The 50kW chargers are OK for a lunch time top up or at the end of the day. Places like Skye where rapid charging is sparse, getting accomodation with a charger is very useful.

We used the CPS 50kW charger at Uig ferry terminal as it was 2 miles from our hotel. It needed a reboot on our first visit, but that was easily done following the on-screen instructions. After that it was reliable on the RFID card but other folks had issues with the web-pay system and the CPS app. would not start it. This information is close to two years old, so take with a pinch of salt. I've often said elsewhere to make use of AC chargers whenever possible when visiting attractions.

There are 50kW chargers at Mallaig or Skye Bridge before crossing to Skye, if you feel the need for a full battery on the island. I'm sure 300 miles would be sufficient 🙂

Thanks very much. I read through the SpeakEV thread, which included your rundown of charging https://www.speakev.com/threads/skye-the-highlands-in-an-ev-was-easy.170994/#post-3280553

Indeed Fort William to Portree is only 110 miles. But we plan to stay in Isle of Skye for around 3 days, going all around the edge. 2-3 nights at same accommodation, star topology routes. So will need top up.

Looking at Zapmap and discussing with my wife, The rapid chargers in Portree would be the fallback point. Ideally able to granny charge overnight would solve all problems. I calculated if leaving Fort William supercharger with 100%, only need top up around 50% to comfortably make it back to Fort William.

I'm not worried about anywhere else, there's plenty of charging choices with just Tesla, add Electroverse as fallback typically at same service area. Only need a single 2 charging stop between London and Glasgow according to ABRP.

• Like 1