What did you do to your Octavia today?

On 19/04/2019 at 13:01, SashaGrace said:

It’s quite easy if you know the right people. It all works as it should from factory, no issues at all. I’ve been running the same system in my 2014 Octy since Jan to match my VC and I love it! You will need to have access to a scanner to scan the car and send the coding to your installer. I always recommend Pawel (pab567) and he is the MIB whisperer.

So what all is needed to do the upgrade SashaGrace? 

Have you got any pics or a link to how you did yours? 

It's something I'm definitely interested in doing! 

• Like 1

If you click my name and look for my built thread it details both of my radio retrofits. Firstly you need to decide what features you want and what you want to spend. Realistically there are 2 good options, a MIB2 Amundsen (5Q0035874A) which can run an 8 inch screen, either the PFL Columbus one (5E0919606) or the FL Amundsen one (5E0919605M). You may also need a USB depending on your phone (Mine is 5Q0035726E). With this radio you need Component Protection removal with the radio in the car, then it needs coding to work with the car as that knocks out everything apart from the Radio, Media Player and sometimes the Phone. Coding outside the dealer network to reactivate the nav, voice, SmartLink etc. All in you are looking at around £5-700 for one of these. Alternatively if you want to keep the CD drive and you want the biggest 9.2 inch screen with gesture control, 4G WiFi, Media Command and full 3D mapping you will want a MIB2.5 Columbus (has to be a Harman one, various part numbers work) with screen (5E0919606D). These can be made CP free outside of the car and can be made to work in any car. The cost is quite a bit more though, usually about £1100-1300. The man to speak to when you are ready is Pawel (pab567) as he is the genius who has done both of my radio retrofits. Hope that helps :)

• Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, SashaGrace said:

Thanks alot Sasha I think I'd like to go the whole hog and end up with the big screen and virtual cockpit. This will require some saving however:o

• Like 1

I've found a guy on gumtree who's selling the head unit and screen for £700. Do you think this is value Sasha? I've sent him a PM to see if he installs it as well for the price. It's the Harmon unit as well. :tongueout:

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, slimjim99 said:

I've found a guy on gumtree who's selling the head unit and screen for £700. Do you think this is value Sasha? I've sent him a PM to see if he installs it as well for the price. It's the Harmon unit as well. :tongueout:

Depends if it’s an unlocked one. @RoboOp has an unlocked Harman Columbus radio that needs an 8 inch screen to go with it :) IMO he is asking a fair price for it too.

• Like 1

He's gotten back to me, he reckons it'll be another £300 to unlock it so a grand in total. He says it'll then be a plug and play affair. Was yours as simple as that? When it's unlocked will it not need coded to my car? I have my own VCDS so I may be able to do my own coding. Where would the virtual dash fit in with all this? 

What head unit is it? I’m guessing MIB2. £1000 is about right for a MIB2, but it’s worth the extra £1-200 for a MIB2.5. You will need VCDS to scan your unit and copy the adaptations over to make all the boxes work properly. The VC was a nightmare to get the coding for and it’s not something that retrofitters offer for SEAT or Skoda. Needs to be a new VC for the mileage to be correct. I ended up having Skoda do the basics and took it from there. If the radio you are looking at is a MIB2 it may need some prep work to accept a VC.

• Like 1

Gave it a good polish and got a price to have the grill surround wrapped in black ,so next couple of weeks the chrome will be gone

PSX_20190422_132217.jpg

Edited by Mickvrs220

13 hours ago, SashaGrace said:

What head unit is it? I’m guessing MIB2. £1000 is about right for a MIB2, but it’s worth the extra £1-200 for a MIB2.5. You will need VCDS to scan your unit and copy the adaptations over to make all the boxes work properly. The VC was a nightmare to get the coding for and it’s not something that retrofitters offer for SEAT or Skoda. Needs to be a new VC for the mileage to be correct. I ended up having Skoda do the basics and took it from there. If the radio you are looking at is a MIB2 it may need some prep work to accept a VC.

It's a MIB 2.5 he's selling with screen. The part number is 565 035 044. The screen that comes with it is 5E0919606D. So for £1k do you think this is good value compared to yours? It's unlocked for that price. B)

12 hours ago, JohnnyType2 said:

its worth it believe me.. the wifi alone is worth it i can connect and track the car now through the dashcam.

20190418_202722.jpg

20190418_202739.jpg

20190418_212229.jpg

im all set for VC and have a VC unit ready to fit. booking in next week

Johnny did you go for a new VC? Is the main dealer doing it?

2 hours ago, Mickvrs220 said:

Gave it a good polish and got a price to have the grill surround wrapped in black ,so next couple of weeks the chrome will be gone

Has anyone looked at doing just the top of the grille surround? I think it would look quite good but not sure. I have enough spare black vinyl to try it.

3 hours ago, slimjim99 said:

It's a MIB 2.5 he's selling with screen. The part number is 565 035 044. The screen that comes with it is 5E0919606D. So for £1k do you think this is good value compared to yours? It's unlocked for that price. B)

If it’s all legit then yes. That’s not an LTE model from that part number but it’s not a feature you really need.

30 minutes ago, SashaGrace said:

If it’s all legit then yes. That’s not an LTE model from that part number but it’s not a feature you really need.

I think I might go for it then it'll make a big difference to the car. What's the LTE function used for Sasha?

1 hour ago, SashaGrace said:

Doesn’t have its own SIM card for built in 4G WiFi, that’s it. Nothing major.

Oh but it actually has the slot for the SIM in his pics. He said it has full functionality so I might be onto a decent price. 

I've looked at various threads here Sasha and I see you've helped lots of others before, and now me too! Thanks very much. :biggrin:

Oh VC will be next on the list Sasha ;)

I'll make sure the antenna is there, that is the software he sent me the details. I think I'm about to make a purchase. :D

Would you agree that as long as it's unlocked etc that it will be plug and play?

6 hours ago, slimjim99 said:

Johnny did you go for a new VC? Is the main dealer doing it?

i got the VC from Poland 20K on the clock, the guys who removed the CP on my previous unit will install and do the ODIS coding, keys etc.

Edited by JohnnyType2
  • Like 1

Be warned, it’s hard right now to get a VC working. It may become easier with time. I can’t comment on how someone else is describing their radio work, I can only advise you ask all the right questions regarding component protection removal and coding to ensure you know what you are getting for the money.

• Like 1

I have dePirellied mine:

33807529608_5b42a3ccf0_c.jpg

Finest possible upgrade with a rubber which makes sense as a daily, or at least I think so:

40718760463_bc9223711f_c.jpg

Feels very good on the steering wheel. A bit stiff, which is a slight surprise. Majority of the people talk about good comfort, but maybe they talk about basic PS4, and this is S.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, nidza said:

Majority of the people talk about good comfort, but maybe they talk about basic PS4, and this is S.

Not totally comparable but...

During the time I had my previous car I ran both PS3 and PSS (and several other tyres over the 88,000 miles I owned it), the PSS gave a noticeably slightly firmer and noisier ride than the PS3 but the sharper handling was the plus side.

• Thanks 1