No AC after recharge

Took in my 2.0TDI for a AC recharge last week as part of the service schedule. AC was working fine beforehand now when the AC is switched on there's just a lot of hissing/whistling from inside the dash somewhere and no cooling of the air. 

£140 for Skoda to break my AC.... Not chuffed. It's booked back in for a week tomorrow. 

Anyone with any thoughts? What could the hissing mean?  

My previous Yeti used to make hissing gurgling noises when the gas level was low.

As yours has recently been done, and as it’s almost a foolproof process as the machine does all the checks and refill etc, all there is to surmise is that the operator dialled in the wrong weight of gas from the sticker on the slam panel and your short of gas.

• Like 1

Yes. There's lubrication oil mixed with the gas, and so running without gas, for extended periods is not good. As lubrication also fails. However usually there are safeguards built into systems these days.

As per IJWS15 systems should never need re-gassing (at least not for 10+ years) or there is a leak.   

I had a botched service at a mains dealer and as a peace offering they offered a free aircon service. I am always wary of aircon as I believe that if it is working OK leave it. I took the offer because after 5 years from new I wondered if it made a difference. In my case the answer was no.

10 hours ago, ILOVEMYSUPERB said:

Was told by Skoda that it was needed as part of the service schedule and as part of the PCP deal the car needs to be serviced in accordance with the manufacturer's guidelines 

I can imagine its normal to check the pressures and or cooling capacity. But I have never seen re-gassing Air-conditioning as a standard procedure. Actually I don't believe it :)

I had a Nissan Primera from new, kept it for 16 years, until I sold it to buy my Superb, in all those years, I never had the Air con recharged, always worked perfectly, dealer always tried to get me to have it recharged, told them when it stops working then I'll deal with it. 

Remember that low gas pressure within the air con will stop the from engaging the compressor, to protect it.

@ILOVEMYSUPERB,

Where you told by SKODA that it was part of the Service Schedule or 'guidelines' or by a chancer up-selling at a Main Dealership Service Desk.

The Manufacturer might be advising a A/C Service @ 2 years, but never put it on a Schedule, and Service Plans do not include it.

Main Dealers sell 'Skoda Approved Used cars' with a Warranty and Full Main Dealer Service History, yet these might not have had a A/C service @ 3 years 

& the Main Dealership will not do one before Re-selling.

That will include where your A/C Service / Cars Service was done.

Screenshot 2019-04-30 at 09.51.35.png

Edited by Skoffski
  • Like 1

On 29/04/2019 at 19:07, ILOVEMYSUPERB said:

Was told by Skoda that it was needed as part of the service schedule and as part of the PCP deal the car needs to be serviced in accordance with the manufacturer's guidelines 

I think they’ve pulled a fast one here. Yes the car will need to be serviced IAW manufacturers guidelines but I’ve never ever known an air con check/service/re-gas being included/mandated in said guidelines.  If it ain’t broke....

• Like 1