Android auto

Hello 

Picked up my new fabia estate yesterday! 

Having a bit of a headache with connecting my phone for use with the android auto system. 

Basically after a lot of trying different usb configuration settings on the phone I can only get it to work consistently by enabling developer settings and switching on usb debugging. The issue is the audio. Most times the audio comes from my phone, I have had it on occasions to play through the car speakers however the sound was echoey. Also had no audio at all. 

Has anyone else had this issue? 

James 

What phone are you using? I've used AA with 3 different phones from 2 manufacturers (Samsung S7 Edge, OnePlus 3T and 5T) in 3 different cars from 3 manufacturers (Fabia, Ibiza, and a Corsa) and it's been pretty reliable. Never had to faff with settings. On occasion it's decided it doesn't want to send through any audio, but unplugging it and replugging it in normally sorts it all out. For a while too calls would come through on speaker from the phone itself, not over the bluetooth, but an update fixed that fairly quickly. 

Is your Android Auto up to date? Click this link on your phone and open it in the Play Store, see if it's showing an update available. 

8 minutes ago, vc-10 said:

What phone are you using? I've used AA with 3 different phones from 2 manufacturers (Samsung S7 Edge, OnePlus 3T and 5T) in 3 different cars from 3 manufacturers (Fabia, Ibiza, and a Corsa) and it's been pretty reliable. Never had to faff with settings. On occasion it's decided it doesn't want to send through any audio, but unplugging it and replugging it in normally sorts it all out. For a while too calls would come through on speaker from the phone itself, not over the bluetooth, but an update fixed that fairly quickly. 

Is your Android Auto up to date? Click this link on your phone and open it in the Play Store, see if it's showing an update available. 

The phone is a Meizu Pro 6 plus, as its chinese that could be an issue but I'm not 100% convinced on this as it still is on the android 7 firmware. Plus you said you used oneplus and that's chinese I think. 

Wife's got a s7 so I'll try that if that works. 

What android version number are you on? Im thinking possible issue with android 7.0, I could try downgrading. 

I read somewhere else that usb debugging was required on some phones to get AA to work.

I'm a computer programmer, so usb debugging is one of the first things I switch on with any new phone and AA has always worked flawlessly for me (On an Xperia Z3, Z5 and Galaxy S9).

Just now, alan4856732 said:

I read somewhere else that usb debugging was required on some phones to get AA to work.

I'm a computer programmer, so usb debugging is one of the first things I switch on with any new phone and AA has always worked flawlessly for me (On an Xperia Z3, Z5 and Galaxy S9).

Yes I have worked out that it works only when I enable debugging however the audio still comes through my phone not car 

I've heard issues with Huawei phones on Android Auto, but nothing about Meizu. OnePlus is a Chinese brand, but their version of Android is very close to stock.

My S7 worked fine on Android 6.0 when it (and my Fabia) were both very new. My OnePlus 5T is on Android 9.0, for what it's worth, but I've used Android Auto on every major version of Android since 6.0.

20 minutes ago, jamos316 said:

The phone is a Meizu Pro 6 plus, as its chinese that could be an issue but I'm not 100% convinced on this as it still is on the android 7 firmware. Plus you said you used oneplus and that's chinese I think.

There may be a fundamental issue with the phone.  The phone may not be certified by Google and core "Google" functions may not be available.  An internet search shows later models from Meizo/Flyme are certified but I found nothing on your model.  One indication of certification is the phrase "powered by Android" at the bottom of the screen when the phone is started - I don't know if this applies across all versions of Android. This post may be relevant https://forum.xda-developers.com/android-auto/mtcd-software-development/solved-bt-problem-meizu-6-pro-plus-t3911156 

There seems to be quite some variability with how well tethering to the in-car display works. I suspect a lot of it is related to how 'complete' and well tested the phone's graphics drivers are. These are usually vendor-supplied binary blobs of varying quality and essentially outside Google's control.

For instance, my Samsung Galaxy S6 works fine with 2016 Bolero and 2019 Swing. My Nokia 5.1 has none of it -- the graphics driver crashes, killing SurfaceFlinger, and then most of Android userspace collapses along with it.

As a professional software developer, with access to the logs and backtraces, not having anywhere clear to report these problems properly so that the right data gets to the programmer responsible is immensely frustrating. This seems to be a problem with most vendors: their customer support is useless in these cases. (It's the old paradox of competence: if they understood what I reported, they wouldn't be working for support.)

Bluetooth needs to be on for Android Auto to work properly- the phone calls are handled over Bluetooth. 

Re the Nokia 5.1- I've heard of a fair few problems with the Nokias. Which is a shame, as the hardware seems pretty decent for the price, and the software is bloat-free. See this video by YouTuber TechAltar.

Make sure you're using a compatible version of music app and that Bluetooth is enabled and able to make calls. Then connect usb for AA. 

If it still plays up, it is probably the phone and/or messed up Android. (How I wished that manufacturers were forced to give users the option to install basic Android free of their gross overlays!) 

As for the various compatible musics apps, I like VLC media player. 

(Using Samsung S7 edge and VLC.)

6 hours ago, sikejsudjek said:

Try a different usb cable, switching bluetooth off on the phone ?

My Huawei phone would not work with android auto until I tried a better quality usb cable,

I bought an 'Anker' cable, you can tell straight away when you plug it in that it's a quality item.

• Like 1

Have you given all the correct permissions for the Bluetooth connection? I think I missed the pop-up when I first connected my Huawei P20, and had to re-add it to the list of Bluetooth devices.

Issue fixed guys. It was my phone that was the issue. The meizu phones are not well supported by Google. I had a old phone (elefone p9000) which worked perfectly. 

Thanks for the help

14 hours ago, Skinneroo said:

My Huawei phone would not work with android auto until I tried a better quality usb cable,

I bought an 'Anker' cable, you can tell straight away when you plug it in that it's a quality item.

Anker stuff is great. Highly recommend their chargers and battery banks too. Aukey is a good brand too- I got this multi-pack of USB C cables when I got my first OnePlus, I use the short 30cm one in the car, and the 2m one is awesome for lazing on the sofa when my phone battery is low!

• Like 1

James, I'm glad you managed to get AA working ok, albeit with a different phone. I totally depend on AA at the moment. When I ordered my new C3 Citroen last August I didn't require the dedicated Sat Nav function in the car so ordered it without, intending to just use AA on the few occasions that I needed it. In the process this saved me £600 too. Since then my life has been turned upside down and back again with me needing to drive up to 4,000 miles a month. AA has been truly amazing and vital to my trips. And of course, it has the major advantage of always being up to date with it's maps. Unlike other vehicles I've had which do not update more that once or twice a year on their built in Sat Nav.

Have lots of fun with your car James, post often!

4 minutes ago, Estate Man said:

James, I'm glad you managed to get AA working ok, albeit with a different phone. I totally depend on AA at the moment. When I ordered my new C3 Citroen last August I didn't require the dedicated Sat Nav function in the car so ordered it without, intending to just use AA on the few occasions that I needed it. In the process this saved me £600 too. Since then my life has been turned upside down and back again with me needing to drive up to 4,000 miles a month. AA has been truly amazing and vital to my trips. And of course, it has the major advantage of always being up to date with it's maps. Unlike other vehicles I've had which do not update more that once or twice a year on their built in Sat Nav.

I agree have g.maps or waze pn the touchscreen is much better than try to look on the phone.

which app do you use g.maps or waze? Im torn as I like g.maps as it has lane guidance feature but I also like waze as it shows when you are over speeding limit.

23 minutes ago, Estate Man said:

So much this! I have used the nav in my Ibiza once. It's rubbish in comparison, but all but the very base model Ibiza have it as standard. I certainly wouldn't pay extra for it. 

James, I use Googel Maps. I like it a lot. I've tried waze but still think gg is best for me.

VC, yes agree totally. Can't fathom out why anyone would buy a car with Sat Nav built in, certainly in the class of car we all buy. Oh, yes...sometimes if you buy Sat Nav (as my wife has just pointed out) you do get some other stuff too! But we both like gg.

2 hours ago, jamos316 said:

I agree have g.maps or waze pn the touchscreen is much better than try to look on the phone.

which app do you use g.maps or waze? Im torn as I like g.maps as it has lane guidance feature but I also like waze as it shows when you are over speeding limit.

I have the pocketgpsworld speed cam database running in the background. Works ok and also gives an overspeed warning.

Google has recently started alerting me to speed cameras. 

@Estate Man that's the case with the Ibiza. In the UK, there are effectively two systems. One with a small screen and no nav, and one with a bigger glass screen, and navigation. And a while back only the nav system got AA and CarPlay! I'd pay the extra in that case.