Vrs MK1 dog bone / lower engine mount recommended?

Hi, I'm looking to replace the lower engine mount and I'm after opinions on buying options?

I've searched, but opinion is divided on OEM or Aftermarket. The 3cylinder Fabia seems to recommend OEM, whereas, the 4cylinder Vrs Fabia recommends either.

The reason for looking to upgrade is that having just replaced the front and rear console wishbone bushes with powerflex and Cupra solid bushes, respectively, the car changes gear much better, the car actually tracks ahead and corners like a dream.

I was looking into buying PFF85-620R Powerflex Lower Engine Mount Large Bush (Diesel)

The car is a daily driver. 

I'm worried about vibrations. I already have some with the new bushes in lower rev range, but the gain in drivability is worth it.

Has anyone got this bush setup and tried the red diesel powerflex bush and can comment on vibrations etc.

I don't want track hard bushes, above 70 shore hardness?

Is the gearbox mount worth replacing? Anyone got a pic of what it looks like, guide on changing it? I heard it is under battery tray.

Thanks

The work is not worth doing unless your mounts are perished or damaged because the increase in vibration is very noticeable, the consensus over the years is that the stiffer bushes offer no gain for a lot more pain.

5 hours ago, sepulchrave said:

The work is not worth doing unless your mounts are perished or damaged because the increase in vibration is very noticeable, the consensus over the years is that the stiffer bushes offer no gain for a lot more pain.

I read a few people suffering worn dog bone mounts, even with mileages of 30 to 50k, on this site. 

OEM then? Do I need a press. Will my bush insertion tool work?

Thanks

29 minutes ago, bmbmdmb said:

I read a few people suffering worn dog bone mounts, even with mileages of 30 to 50k, on this site. 

OEM then? Do I need a press. Will my bush insertion tool work?

Thanks

It's hard to imagine how wear might occur since it's a solid rubber bush with a steel sleeve, we did used to get an absolute plethora of modified motah muppets on here who were utterly convinced a PU bush would somehow magically improve a remote cable operated gear shift designed to completely isolate the shift lever from vibration or movement.

On a rod change, definitely, cable change notsomuch.

They all complained about vibration after fitting PU though, so...

1 hour ago, sepulchrave said:

It's hard to imagine how wear might occur since it's a solid rubber bush with a steel sleeve, we did used to get an absolute plethora of modified motah muppets on here who were utterly convinced a PU bush would somehow magically improve a remote cable operated gear shift designed to completely isolate the shift lever from vibration or movement.

On a rod change, definitely, cable change notsomuch.

They all complained about vibration after fitting PU though, so...

No to PU.

Wear - before it became apparent of the cause, that the EGR was blocked, the engine was rocking on idle a lot, enough to cause the top engine cover and top boost pipe to have matching wear marks. 

Also, the definite improvement in gear change following installing stiffer rear console bushes pointed to vibrations / play in engine not being dampened. 

I take your point on gear shift should be separate though. 

Adjustment of gear shifting is detailed here:

I don't really want to tinker with this. I don't know what I'm doing.  I only find getting 2nd gear slightly hard when cold. Gear oil replaced with genuine 6th speed a few years ago BTW.

What sort of cost to repair synchro ring? The part seems relatively cheap.

The problem has not really got worse over last 40k miles, though, but somewhat annoying. New clutch flywheel improved it a bit and finally the new bushes made quite a difference.

18 minutes ago, KenONeill said:

£Lots, because you've got to remove, strip and rebuild the gearbox.

Yup, thought so. If I was doing it, it would have made sense to do when clutch done.

It is not crunching like in that post I quoted, so I will make do. Thanks

8 hours ago, sepulchrave said:

I disagree. The red PF engine mount bush does noticeably increase engine vibration IME. 

Pointless yes, arguably, but if you’re keeping the car long term it’s one less bush to worry about. 

42 minutes ago, jars said:

I disagree. The red PF engine mount bush does noticeably increase engine vibration IME. 

Pointless yes, arguably, but if you’re keeping the car long term it’s one less bush to worry about. 

You disagree because you did the dumb thing, but you agree that it increased vibration?

3 minutes ago, sepulchrave said:

You disagree because you did the dumb thing, but you agree that it increased vibration?

Stupid auto-correct deleted the *not* noticeably increased the vibration. 

Edited by jars
  • Haha 1

• 1 month later...

I fitted the red diesel one. There are 3 bolts on the front of dog bone bracket, and 4th longer bolt going through the centre of the donut bush. There is a slight vibration on steering wheel at idle, but the Vrs does gear shift much better. I can even select 1st before the car is stopped and the rough change into 2nd has disappeared.

Worthwhile it seems if you have a 4cylinder engine.

IMG_20190602_165055214.jpg

I used to have the vibra-technics solid mount and although it did bring extra vibration into the car personally for me is was fine. The gear shift was much better, traction was better with wheel soon more controlled with no bunny hop effect you can sometimes get. And you could feel zero engine movement when accelerating and changing down gear.

I changed it for the red superpro bush after a few years and comfort levels were better but you could feel a bit of movement when accelerating etc.