Why no electric handbrake?

Hello. Drive a new Octavia while my Superb was in the garage. To my surprise it was a dsg like my car but it had a normal handbrake. I thought dsgs all come with electronic handbrakes included? If I order a new car do I have to add it to the spec?

• Like 1

Auto Hold & e-brakes are brilliant with DSG's, and yet VW Group / Skoda keep balls-ing up.

It is like Door Seals, Timing Belts, Timing Chains, Tensioners, it will be decades before they ever sort out what the rest of the manufacturers already sorted.

Vorsprung Durch Technik.  Stop sourcing the cheapest crap brake components / discs available globally.

New models like the Scala being launched with a 'Manual' Parking / Emergency brake...

58 minutes ago, Skoffski said:

Auto Hold & e-brakes are brilliant with DSG's, and yet VW Group / Skoda keep balls-ing up.

It is like Door Seals, Timing Belts, Timing Chains, Tensioners, it will be decades before they ever sort out what the rest of the manufacturers already sorted.

Vorsprung Durch Technik.  Stop sourcing the cheapest crap brake components / discs available globally.

New models like the Scala being launched with a 'Manual' Parking / Emergency brake...

Thanks. I didn’t realise there was a problem with it. Seems fine in my 2 year old superb. Will I find posts on here?

Millions produced and working fine, so when some are wrong it is so sad that some dealership staff dismiss it as though driver error.  If VW Group just get a grip and ensure brake pads can let go and stop gripping it would be Simply Clever.  Crap discs being an issue. And crap software sometimes. Spend a few euro more in important stuff and less fixing under warranty.  That is Simple economics. 

14 minutes ago, TheWanderer said:

I hate electronic parking brakes, too easy to forget it either applying it or releasing it. 

Also having had one stick on, on a Passat which required the AA to come out and release it, I've sworn that I'll never have a car with one, they're a menace and can cause unnecessary delay, something that I've never had using a good old fashioned manual release one. 

My handbrake releases and activates automatically when I turn my engine on and off or pull away. 

• Like 3

48 minutes ago, tigermad said:

My handbrake releases and activates automatically when I turn my engine on and off or pull away. 

If you are using autohold when you come to a stop you are not actually using the handbrake.

Autohold just keeps hydraulic pressure on all four brakes, the electric hand brake motors on the rear discs are not used.

With Autohold you only use the handbrake when parking up.

As the Golf has Electric Parking Brake and Auto Hold and the Octavia does not I suspect it's just a marketing/cost decision.

• Like 1

I could not get to grips entirely with an electric parking brake on a manual loan Karoq.

Fine putting it on manually and the little paddle lit up. I was also happy pulling away and the brake released fine. But I was not sure if it came on when I pressed the footbrake at a standstill, while in neutral. Felt more like the alleged hill holder on my manual Octavia. In both cars I get a tendency to roll back unless I move away smartly- not always possible if the car in front sets off too slowly.

Edited by gregoir

As Tigermad has said its great on the superb on the rare occasion i drive a car with a handbrake it’s like going back to the Middle Ages. I just forget it’s working.

It would be really difficult to go back full time to anything else.

• Like 1

It is horrible going back top manual hand brakes with 2 pedal vehicles IMO.

Like riding pushbikes all your life, loving them, not wanting to try a e-bike, then doing it and getting one and loving it.

That can make riding push bikes seem like so hard work and less of a pleasure.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Skoffski said:

It is horrible going back top manual hand brakes with 2 pedal vehicles IMO.

Like riding pushbikes all your life, loving them, not wanting to try a e-bike, then doing it and getting one and loving it.

That can make riding push bikes seem like so hard work and less of a pleasure.

Yes it's even worse on DSG without EPB and Autohold as it makes it a complete pain. Either having to hold on the footbrake or  having to use the handbrake but also select N or P then footbrake, select D, release handbrake, release footbrake, press accelerator when the lights go green.

Yes I know its a first world problem but DSG and EPB/Autohold is a dream. And some conventional torque converter auto's with EPB work even better.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, TheWanderer said:

I hate electronic parking brakes, too easy to forget it either applying it or releasing it. 

Also having had one stick on, on a Passat which required the AA to come out and release it, I've sworn that I'll never have a car with one, they're a menace and can cause unnecessary delay, something that I've never had using a good old fashioned manual release one. 

The parking brake was very good on my 15 plate Passat. Wasn't a question of forgetting to, it released when you started to move off and applied it's self when the engine was switched off,  this feature being completely switchable. The hill hold feature great as well, just dabbing your foot on the brake pedal when stopped and bringing the green park brake light symbol on. Missed all this when I changed it for the Octavia. 

1 hour ago, gregoir said:

Auto hold no- but electric handbrake yes! Especially with rheumatoid arthritis.

What's wrong with autohold?

3 minutes ago, Petunet said:

I've said this before: I prefer manual handbrake, one can't do a handbrake turn with an electronic handbrake.

And, Ok the handbrake needs to act on the driven wheels for this to work, but you also can't use an electronic handbrake as a cheap emergency LSD.

Got no auto hold or the eletcronic hand break on mine! 

In my opinion its just another expensive thing that can go wrong

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Skoffski said:

Tell that to my ex-line manager.

He had a Nissan Qashqai, almost everything on it was electrical.

And he'd bought it on PCP with a limited mileage, changed jobs so he went from doing 2,000 a miles per year commuting to 60,000 miles per year.

So he chose to buy a second hand Ford Focus to do his commuting and kept the Qashqai for everything else.

One Saturday he takes the Qashqai down to the local McDonalds drive-thru and the battery fails completely on him......not surprising, the thing is sat there Monday-Friday doing nothing.

So the electric handbrake is on......and stuck on.......apparently he had a whole queue of chavvy punters stuck behind him all wanting their ZingerBurgers with Fries and his motor was sat there unable to move.

Give me a mechancial brake anytime, at least then you can push the thing out of the way.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

@SkodaVRS1963

Was that one built in the North East of England then?

Those in the queue could just have rolled the Nissan sideways and back onto its wheels, that is why they are the shape they are. 

PS,

I take it your Line Manager was just the Chavvy punter at the front of the queue, or is special because he manages you?

Edited by Skoffski

People with Euro6 Engines and DSG gearboxes worried about the complexity of a handrake motor.

Anyone else see the irony? :) 

Lee

• Like 4

5 hours ago, logiclee said:

What's wrong with autohold?

It releases when it wants to, not when I and the traffic are ready to go forwards!

Edited by gregoir

54 minutes ago, gregoir said:

It releases when it wants to, not when I and the traffic are ready to go forwards!

What car are you saying it does than on?

1 hour ago, gregoir said:

🤔 Not if you keep your foot on the brake it doesn't. Besides you can always bung it in park if you have DSG and it'll only move when you want it to.