Road noise

Recently new VRS 18 in version, finding road noise a little intrusive, having only a week I did check the tyres and to my amazement all set at 49 psi ! I guess the dealer carried out a drive by PDI! Have anyone got any kind of information suggestions 

many thanks

44 minutes ago, TJVRS said:

Recently new VRS 18 in version, finding road noise a little intrusive, having only a week I did check the tyres and to my amazement all set at 49 psi ! I guess the dealer carried out a drive by PDI! Have anyone got any kind of information suggestions 

many thanks

never trust stealers

diy pdi always the best way,  check everything  working,   fluid levels, tyre pressures, switches etc  

i 'd be surprised if reducing tyre pressure makes any real difference to noise levels ?  , it's just the way they are imo

cant get champagne for the price of lemonade  🤪

12 minutes ago, Ash007ks said:

what make tyres are you running. I have a 65 plate VRS that you can't even hear the road noise in.  I usually run mine at 36PSI all-round.

It left the show room with Bridgestone Potenza 255/40/18

5 minutes ago, TJVRS said:

It left the show room with Bridgestone Potenza 255/40/18

Ive just had a quick look around the internet and it appears that the tyres have bad reviews for Tyre noise. Id put the money on that as your problem. Till its time for a new set crank the radio up by +5 volume :)

Depends what you are used to but The Mk3 is poor for road and suspension noise.

There's not enough insulation and the big boot acts as an amplifier.

The Mk2 wasn't great but It's quieter than the Mk3.

Quieter tyres may help but it will never be a quiet motorway cruiser.

Lee

Edited by logiclee
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Ash007ks said:

what make tyres are you running. I have a 65 plate VRS that you can't even hear the road noise in.  I usually run mine at 36PSI all-round.

Interested what make of tyres are you running. The ones that you can't even hear the road noise. 

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, benterrier said:

Interested what make of tyres are you running. The ones that you can't even hear the road noise. 

Ive ran Pirelli P Zero. However I drive for a living so I don't really notice Road Noise any more unless its ridiculously loud so this could also be a factor.

Will look into the Michelin tyre solution. I've got a 18 plate 2L diesel s-el , great car apart from road noise on all but the best newly laid road surfaces. Dunlop Maax fitted from New. I Shouldn't have to try and sound proof a car costing a lot of money, VAG Skoda cocked up. We have a Renault Capture Dci, say what you like about them but I'm afraid they have done better sound proofing job!

Depends what you are used to, but generally the Octavia does have a greater than average amount of road noise. 

Its the price you pay for good value....less insulation!

• Like 1

Just now, glosrich said:

Depends what you are used to, but generally the Octavia does have a greater than average amount of road noise. 

Its the price you pay for good value....less insulation!

Look on the bright side I would happily have a little more noise/excitement and less weight, more performance and better fuel economy. Plenty of boring/quiet Golfs available for dull/sensible folk.:thinking:

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, shyVRS245 said:

Look on the bright side I would happily have a little more noise/excitement and less weight, more performance and better fuel economy. Plenty of boring/quiet Golfs available for dull/sensible folk.:thinking:

Of course, people have got their opinions but road noise over a 200 mile trip to Leeds up the M1 isn't what I call excitement. It'll be a boring quiet car for me next purchase. Shame because really like this car.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, donny1972 said:

How hard was it to remove the side panels? Also where dod you source the soundproofing?

it wasn't too hard but you do need to remove most of the pillar covers, almost everything will pry off except for the sides, you have to unbolt several  positions and the rear seat belt point to get all the trim off and its a torque style tool..

yes it makes a considerable difference ive also done the doors and door cards...

proxy.php?image=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.briskoda.net%2Fforums%2Fuploads%2Fmonthly_2018_11%2F20181111_170420.thumb.jpg.eabf0956261ca82c28d4180dd7d78ca5.jpg&hash=d7f7f0d7151c797b0a0ccdff19db27d2

speakers01.jpg

i stopped short of doing the floors as they are heavily carpeted anyway. I will be doing the outer arches between the metal and the liner with butyl and CCFoam, Ive seen it done on youtube and the niose from the tyres is almost disappeared completely 

i bought all my deadening from a company in the UK called the sound deadening shop.

5 minutes ago, JohnnyType2 said:

it wasn't too hard but you do need to remove most of the pillar covers, almost everything will pry off except for the sides, you have to unbolt several  positions and the rear seat belt point to get all the trim off and its a torque style tool..

yes it makes a considerable difference ive also done the doors and door cards...

proxy.php?image=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.briskoda.net%2Fforums%2Fuploads%2Fmonthly_2018_11%2F20181111_170420.thumb.jpg.eabf0956261ca82c28d4180dd7d78ca5.jpg&hash=d7f7f0d7151c797b0a0ccdff19db27d2

speakers01.jpg

i stopped short of doing the floors as they are heavily carpeted anyway. I will be doing the outer arches between the metal and the liner with butyl and CCFoam, Ive seen it done on youtube and the niose from the tyres is almost disappeared completely 

i bought all my deadening from a company in the UK called the sound deadening shop.

how much was the full sound deadening and it looks like you running an after market speaker setup. is it noticeably different over the standard speakers.

1 hour ago, benterrier said:

Of course, people have got their opinions but road noise over a 200 mile trip to Leeds up the M1 isn't what I call excitement. It'll be a boring quiet car for me next purchase. Shame because really like this car.

I agree.

Although we have owned 13 Skoda's and still own 2 my Mk3 was bought for use as my motorway commuter. Unfortunately my last four cars were VW Passat, BMW, Octy 3 and Jag XF.

Some might say I was expecting too much but the Mk3 was dire at proper motorway speeds.  I agree that the others should be more refined due to the cost but the difference is dramatic. 

What gets me is the our Mk2 is more refined, as is my colleagues Astra and so was the Fabia TSi I had as a loaner for 5 weeks while my DSG was getting rebuilt.

17 hours ago, benterrier said:

Welcome to Octavia road noise I'm☹️afraid it's built in. 

Not even vcd's can de-activate it😀

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, donny1972 said:

I have ordered some soundproofing so will start off with the boot and rear wheel arches.

So it's not just the torsion bar suspension Combis annoying people?

Mine is quiet enough on the unexciting M1 north via Leeds.

13 hours ago, gregoir said:

So it's not just the torsion bar suspension Combis annoying people?

Mine is quiet enough on the unexciting M1 north via Leeds.

I think any road noise advantage the independent rear suspension models have is negated by the bigger wheels and winder low profile tyres,