Faulty Window Switch? Driver's controls

I've just returned from a few days in France where the passenger had to collect tickets, pay for tolls and hand over passports, so used the passenger side window and switch.  The passenger window went up and down OK.  Back in UK, on the M6 Toll I find my driver's window will not go down - and there is only one switch for this window.  A real nuisance but as the Mrs was sitting behind me, she opened her window and did the business.

I get home and find neither front window can be lowered using the driver's control.  They can be lowered and raised using the key fob so the motors work.  And they can be raised after lowering using the key.  The rear windows work as expected.

The handbook offered no solution - it seemed to be about a re-set after a battery disconnection and assumed the window could be lowered.

The car's first MoT is due soon, and while a non-opening driver's windows may not be a fail, it'll certainly annoy the tester if he can't open the window to carry out any testing.

Looks like a switch failure or wiring fault.  Anyway, I've got it booked in for investigation on Tuesday 11th June.

Any one got any other ideas?  D'you think 80 odd bottle of vino in the boot had anything to do with it?

Cheers, 
John.

Edited by BionicJohn

The switch to my passenger side window broke (it felt very slack) from the drivers console. Would work from passenger door and keyfob.

Switch pack changed under warranty.

Im not sure why both front windows would fail but sounds like switch or wiring issue though.

I would think a dealer or good auto electrician should be able to identify it quickly.

Hope you get it sorted.

18 hours ago, Greenliner1 said:

The switch to my passenger side window broke (it felt very slack) from the drivers console. Would work from passenger door and keyfob.

Switch pack changed under warranty.

I'm not sure why both front windows would fail but sounds like switch or wiring issue though.

Thanks for your replies.  Re-assuring to hear a switch failure is not unknown. I'd been wondering if there was a quick DIY fix.

Car's booked in for investigation and hopefully warranty repair on Tuesday morning.

I'll let you know what happens. 

Update:

After their inspection, I found the switch in a worse state than when I brought it in!  The little levers were just flopping about, and fell down. Any control springs were now missing or broken. 

We had a discussion but it was unclear how it may have happened.  I clearly am contributory but any heavy switch pressing on my part was because the window wasn't going down in the first place.

They're making a warranty  a claim, so fingers crossed.

The obligatory free safety check revealed the front tyres are very close to being illegal/MoT fail and the DSG 'box transmission fluid needs replacing.  I've ordered two new Michelins from Black Circles but I thought the transmission fluid was sealed for life. 

Now waiting on their phone call re the warranty claim and a date to fix the switch, which I believe could be £182 plus fitting plus VAT.  I'll probably get the transmission fluid done at the same time.  🙁

Edited by BionicJohn

22 hours ago, BionicJohn said:

DSG 'box transmission fluid needs replacing...I thought the transmission fluid was sealed for life. 

If you've got a 2.0-litre TDI then you have the 6-speed wet-clutch DSG box, which should have oil changes every 40,000 miles according to the schedule.

The 1.6-litre TDI uses the 7 Speed Twin Dry Clutch DSG, and has no scheduled oil change intervals (other than the Service Campaign '34F7'  to change the Synthetic oil to Mineral and do a software software update, which is a one-off)

• 1 month later...

Closure:

The dealer never phoned me back.  In fact after being fobbed off twice with "he'll ring you back today", on my third call when the parrot said "he'll ring you back today", I said I needed to speak with the service manager then, as I now had two issues - the failed switch and all the unfilled promises of phone calls.  I was put straight through.  The guy was polite and helpful, but insisted switches were not replaced under warranty.

So the switch has now been replaced at a total cost of £182.  The mechanic showed me how the switches worked - which turned out  to be as I thought leading me to believe the switch had been damaged since the day we got the car.  He also said that if the one touch rise/fall fails, the mirrors will not fold in when the car is locked.  Is that correct?  And he showed me how to reset the windows.

The service manager, who came to check all was well, was miffed I had been elsewhere to get the car MoT tested and that I'd bought replacement tyres at Costco.  Maybe they ought to be more helpful in the first place…

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 12/06/2019 at 14:34, iriches said:

The 1.6-litre TDI uses the 7 Speed Twin Dry Clutch DSG, and has no scheduled oil change intervals (other than the Service Campaign '34F7'  to change the Synthetic oil to Mineral and do a software software update, which is a one-off)

Yes, spot on.  After two written advisories to the contrary, the Service Manager was over-ruled by a senior man from workshop when I put the car in for a service and no fluid change was needed.  The transmission unit is (supposedly) sealed for life.

They couldn't possibly trying to get £199 out of me, could they?   

Edited by BionicJohn