Todays little Mod -- Auto dimming rear view mirror

Don't know about you guys, but once you have had a vehicle with a self dipping mirror you tend to miss it.......and it's always annoyed me the fabia don't have one,

now there is one listed in the parts catolouge and I did think of gettting one of those, however I would not have had the loom in the vehicle, so would have had to purchase that + it most probably is quite expensive..............

If your not aware 99% of oem mirrors are made by Gentex, so bought one of those and a simple 2 wire installation and its all done, looks completely factory, you have to also buy the adpater to fit the VAG screen mirror mount and I wanted to hide the wire so bought the loom cover to.......................very pleased 😁 total about £90 ish...

The thing I do like is it has a button to turn itoff if you so desire.

selfdip1.jpg

selfdip2 (Medium).jpg

Edited by UrbanPanzer
  • Like 3

When I saw the title I thought you were referring to a dimming door mirror - something which I would immediately turn off! However, like you I would certainly miss the dimming interior mirror so congrats on the install. :thumbup:

• Like 1

My first car with an auto dimming rear view mirror was a 2000 Passat and it did not have an on/off switch, which made it annoying and slightly dangerous in town at night, then my wife bought a 2002 Polo and it’s mirror had an on/off switch which was good! By 2009 I think, my Passat mirror started to leak out all its fluid, so when I bought a new one I gambled and bought one for a later Passat and that one had an on/off switch and a red led ambient light!

These products do sound like being from Gentex though in America and Canada all FOC lifetime repairs due to fluid leaks were handled by Johnson’s as in JCL.

On 09/06/2019 at 17:54, DriverTom said:

Great work!

Do you have a list of part numbers, I think I would like one of these mirrors in my fabia ;)

Any chance of some part numbers in case other members fancy doing this mod? 😁

This was one of the first mods I did to my Fabia - well worth it. I posted a thread about it way back in 2011 so not sure if it's still around. 

Please note correct technique for removing factory rear view mirror is twisting to about 45 degrees NOT pulling or inserting screwdrivers and trying to lever or prise as there is a very real chance of breaking the windscreen

• 1 year later...
On 16/06/2019 at 22:44, greenstripe said:

This was one of the first mods I did to my Fabia - well worth it. I posted a thread about it way back in 2011 so not sure if it's still around. 

Please note correct technique for removing factory rear view mirror is twisting to about 45 degrees NOT pulling or inserting screwdrivers and trying to lever or prise as there is a very real chance of breaking the windscreen

Very useful info this greenstripe, Id have taken the screwdriver option if I hadn't read this!

On 16/06/2019 at 22:07, UrbanPanzer said:

Is there any chance of a photo of you fitting the bracket?  Mine doesn’t seem to tighten at all, as if the torx screw is too short and it just dangles in the wind...  photo shows screw tightened up maximum when off.  The only way I can get it tight on windscreen bracket is by putting the mirror bracket half on so the torx screw tightens against the centre of the raised part of the Windscreen bracket, but it doesn’t seem secure.

102D40F4-07A2-4177-A6EE-814724756978.jpeg

8299A4AE-3F6C-415D-8CD4-CAEB3357AAFE.jpeg

5399A79C-AC47-4843-A869-7AE9E6529992.jpeg

• Like 1

Yes I only put it on halfway for now so that the torx screw has something to tighten against.  Looks like I need to get the file out on the brass bracket from that photo and make it thinner, I seem to remember greenstripe saying something similar.

i did wonder about one of the brackets from the USA, but will give filing a whirl first.

D494A3D0-4AD6-4241-897B-22B608EAACCB.png

Edited by globalste

its def the fact the brass adapter is not "on" far enough........(see your edited image below)

look at the distance here where I have marked and compare to my image where you can see the brass adapter is much further onto the original mount.

It def does work no probs once the adapter is on. Take a good look and see which bit needs filing, its not much at all I would think, also when its "close" you can tap it on with a nylon or rubber hammer.

mirrorglobal.jpeg

• 2 years later...

I fitted a Superb autodimming mirror in a Fabia. I had one spare after fitting a High Beam assist one in the Superb instead. I only needed a bracket, glued it to the windscreen and connected the electrics to the internal light.

Edited by 26DIPP
  • Like 1

I fitted a Gentex auto dimming mirror.  None of the brackets fit the Fabia though so I then had to order an adaptor plate which actually came from the US via Amazon, I also needed to buy some stainless grub screws.

the Gentex ones aren’t really sold on Amazon uk anymore, but they make the VAG ones.  The mirror was £60 and the adaptor plate was £15. Then I got some windscreen cable shrouds for £5 off eBay to hide the wires from the roof to the mirror.

All in all, it looks good and was fun to do but was a bit of a waste of time mod in the Fabia.  Also, I had to faff a lot to get the thing tight and then use loctite on the grub screws.

getting the old mirror off was interesting, defo way CJ the YouTube videos on it!

Wired mine to the rear wiper (along with a bunch of other stuff!)

• Like 1

23 hours ago, globalste said:

I fitted a Gentex auto dimming mirror.  None of the brackets fit the Fabia though so I then had to order an adaptor plate which actually came from the US via Amazon, I also needed to buy some stainless grub screws.

the Gentex ones aren’t really sold on Amazon uk anymore, but they make the VAG ones.  The mirror was £60 and the adaptor plate was £15. Then I got some windscreen cable shrouds for £5 off eBay to hide the wires from the roof to the mirror.

All in all, it looks good and was fun to do but was a bit of a waste of time mod in the Fabia.  Also, I had to faff a lot to get the thing tight and then use loctite on the grub screws.

getting the old mirror off was interesting, defo way CJ the YouTube videos on it!

Thanks @globalste, is it possible you can share what the adaptor plate looks like?

• 3 weeks later...
On 18/04/2023 at 22:59, globalste said:

On 18/04/2023 at 22:59, globalste said:

@globalste just curious, was this wiring done via fuse piggyback? or was the rear wiper wires in the headline trim somewhere?

1 minute ago, jonnieboi82 said:

@globalste just curious, was this wiring done via fuse piggyback? or was the rear wiper wires in the headline trim somewhere?

No I ran it from the headliner down the a-pillar and then made a piggy back loom to power the mirror and the dash cam.  There is a good earthing bolt on the drivers end of the dash if you take the panel off.  Urban panzers links were good, I had to faff getting grub screws etc because the brass plate was too thick and it made fitting very difficult!!  The oem mirror just twists off from memory

10 minutes ago, globalste said:

No I ran it from the headliner down the a-pillar and then made a piggy back loom to power the mirror and the dash cam.  There is a good earthing bolt on the drivers end of the dash if you take the panel off.  Urban panzers links were good, I had to faff getting grub screws etc because the brass plate was too thick and it made fitting very difficult!!  The oem mirror just twists off from memory

Oh thanks @globalste, I'm also in the process of hard wiring the dash cam too so this makes sense

I wired a Suberb autodimming mirror into the Fabia ceiling and courtesy light. The current draw of the mirror is very small and you have 12V and earth available in the ceiling light assembly.

• Like 1

Happy to report back I've successfully managed to fit the rear view mirror with thanks to all the advices provided by you all here 🙇‍♂️

Basically wired it to rear windscreen wipers piggy backing off the dash cam installation

Bought the mirror here which came with all the bits (no need for the bracket adaptor)

PXL_20230513_100923571.jpg

Edited by jonnieboi82