Citigo Service.

Ronn

Hi, 

My wife's Citigo is 2 years old. 

The dealer phoned us and quoted a price of £218.

Is that dear, cheap or OK. 

Also has any idea what type of Service that would be on a 2 yeay old car. 

Is it an Intermediate Service or a Full Service. 

One more thing, is it worth me using 'Servicestop', on the Internet. 

They appear to be considerably cheaper and they say they use genuine Skoda Parts. 

Would my guarantee be invalid if I used Servicestop. 

I understand they take the car to a reputable Skoda garage for the service. What do you think. 

I believe it is an interim service in odd years and major in even years. £218 for a major service doesn't sound too bad. My local dealer has fixed price servicing, £179 for interim and £289 for major. Trouble is that's the price whatever Skoda you have so probably a better deal the larger the car, the Citigo only has 3 spark plugs!

True that. I had to argue with my up! dealer at first service. He refused to believe that oil change is all what it needs. I won. 😊

My 2 year service was supposed to be £199 but I sent the dealer an email saying I had a quote for £129 and could he match it, which he did. Still a rip off for an oil and filter change and a quick check of the brakes and tyres.

If the car is under warranty stick with the main dealer, if you need to claim and car has been serviced elsewhere you may need to jump through lots of hoops to prove Independent met standards and didn’t miss anything 

What is the mileage?

Often worth asking for other things such as getting wheels swapped front-back to even out tyre wear (providing they don’t charge extra).   Doing this ensures are 4 tyres need replacing similar time.  Many people are recommending switching from eco tyres (which can be useless in winter) to all season tyres

11 hours ago, Emil said:

No need to change spark plug after 2 years.

Would that not depend on the mileage though? Although doubtful as Citigo has done 40/60k in two years I agree. 

I changed ours at its 40k service along with the cambelt. 

16 hours ago, Emil said:

Pollen filter needs to be changed and rear brakes needs to be cleaned after 2 years. So £129 isn't bad at all. 

Pollen filter costs a fiver and brake checks/clean 10 mins labour so say a tenner all in.....

1 minute ago, Miller73 said:

Pollen filter costs a fiver and brake checks/clean 10 mins labour so say a tenner all in.....

We used to quote 0.5 hours for a rear brake service which is around £50 at a main dealer. 

23 hours ago, Tech1e said:

Rear brake service isn’t normally part of the service though it’s an additional item so there may well be an additional charge. 

Should be done every 2 years or 30000km. And it is part of the service says Škoda. 

9 hours ago, Miller73 said:

They have to get money somewhere.

1 minute ago, Emil said:

"Škoda UK" knows better than manufacturer? 

Skoda UK (and indeed any importer) can have their own market specific service schedules. So Skoda India may recommend fuel filters at a different intervals to Europe due to fuel quality etc. So you can’t blanket the whole of Skoda with one statement, hence my asking. 

On 05/07/2019 at 19:16, Ronn said:

'Servicestop',

Look here:- 

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5772950

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5469449

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5657608

and you will find the answer.

Thanks AG Falco

• Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, Tech1e said:

Skoda UK (and indeed any importer) can have their own market specific service schedules. So Skoda India may recommend fuel filters at a different intervals to Europe due to fuel quality etc. So you can’t blanket the whole of Skoda with one statement, hence my asking. 

Not true. I have Škoda Citigo service manual and there is no mention that UK have different service schedules compared rest of Europe. 

Why you think that rear brakes doesn't need cleaning in UK? 

9 minutes ago, Emil said:

Not true. I have Škoda Citigo service manual and there is no mention that UK have different service schedules compared rest of Europe. 

Why you think that rear brakes doesn't need cleaning in UK? 

I said CAN, it was a question. 

I spent many many years working in Skoda main dealers here in the UK. I have printed off service sheets from ELSA and know what items get added here as additional items. But I know where as here in the UK we advise replacing the Cambelt at 5 years but Skoda Auto don’t. 

I am not debating if the rear brakes need cleaning or not, I know they do. It’s just a question if it is not included in an inspection service or if it’s a recommended action, there is a difference. Much like brake fluid, it’s recommended at 3 years, but isn’t included. 

Rear brake cleaning is a part of inspection service. If customer doesn't want to pay for it it is his own shame. 

Not fair to compare prices if one includes all what should be done and another includes only oil change. 

3 minutes ago, Emil said:

Rear brake cleaning is a part of inspection service.

In my part of the world that is simply a myth.

Many other members will confirm major/minor/inspection services are simply pad thickness and disc condition checks. And that why there are so many threads about brake issues on Briskoda.

If your dealer removes a drum and cleans it as part of regular servicing then you are very lucky and have one of the few dealers that do what they should.

I guess many customers wants as cheap service as possible. And that is what some dealers offers. Cheap but not complete. Just enough to put stamp on a service book, which doesn't even exist anymore. 

As far as VW Group main dealerships in UK are concerned, I feel that if people were made aware for the need to get their brakes serviced when handing the car in for servicing, then it would be their fault if they opted to say "no", though the general perception that the UK public have of their VW Group main dealership's ability to push upselling does work against this - not good enough!

Actually VW Group importers into UK, if they were not committed to make it look like service costs were lower than they really are, could or should include a "wheels off" service of the brakes every 2 years.