Big Brake Kit on the 280

Hey

Has anybody here upgraded the standard calipers to a big brake kit on their 280 models?

I really like the solid caliper face that is on the Golf R, and im suprised Skoda did not fit something simular on the 280, rather than the standard looking caliper.

I have always said, that if you want to know how much power a car has........look at its brakes.

For me the Superb is the ultimate sleeper, but i would just like to add a subtle hint to whats lurking under my right foot.

Would Golf R, or Audi calipers fit the Superb?, or does anybody know of any kits that are not stupid money?

V

5 hours ago, VelocityVinnie said:

Hey

Has anybody here upgraded the standard calipers to a big brake kit on their 280 models?

I really like the solid caliper face that is on the Golf R, and im suprised Skoda did not fit something simular on the 280, rather than the standard looking caliper.

I have always said, that if you want to know how much power a car has........look at its brakes.

For me the Superb is the ultimate sleeper, but i would just like to add a subtle hint to whats lurking under my right foot.

Would Golf R, or Audi calipers fit the Superb?, or does anybody know of any kits that are not stupid money?

V

Did you make the ECU remap to 350 HP or... Do you plan to?😈😁

Golf r callipers are identical in size shape and make. They just have a machined  face to put the r logo clip into. S3 Audi the same. No advantage apart from asthetics 

• Like 2

A friend of mine had his 280 Sportline remaped after only 10000 km and warranty still not over. The remap address was given to him by... the Sales Manager of our local dealer himself!...  😲🤔😁 Probably doesn't happen like that in all french Skoda dealers... 😉

1 minute ago, penguin17 said:

The latest Leon Cupra R got a manufacturer approved ABT remap as a 500GBP upgrade option.  I wonder if and when VW Group will roll that out elsewhere?!

SEAT are a little braver than the rest of the group. If VW and Skoda were going to follow suit i'd expect RacingLine to get a look in.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Tech1e said:

SEAT are a little braver than the rest of the group. If VW and Skoda were going to follow suit i'd expect RacingLine to get a look in.

Fair one.  Mountune could also be one to watch in future now that they are offering tuning for the Golf and they've offered warranty friendly/manufacturer backed tuning with Ford for several years now.  

I'm guessing the big issue with this is the risk that a £30K car with £500 remap could steal sales away from £40K+ cars with a higher 'tune' from the factory.  VW like to keep the brand hierarchy well defined but, as you say, SEAT always seems to break the mould every now and again. 

31 minutes ago, tmg said:

i put clubsport S discs and pads on the front of mine (direct fit) rather than go bbk. 

https://www.awesomegti.com/shop-by-brand/oem/genuine-mqb-340x30mm-clubsport-s-front-brake-discs-pair-5q0615301c/

look the part and very subtle...

Same 340 x 30mm front disc fitted to Octavia Vrs245. Does the job very well even on track days.:thumbup:

21 hours ago, Esseesse200 said:

Golf r callipers are identical in size shape and make. They just have a machined  face to put the r logo clip into. S3 Audi the same. No advantage apart from asthetics 

Yes, and thats what i like, the fact its a solid face, rather than a traditional looking caliper.

20 hours ago, Bap33 said:

A friend of mine had his 280 Sportline remaped after only 10000 km and warranty still not over. The remap address was given to him by... the Sales Manager of our local dealer himself!...  😲🤔😁 Probably doesn't happen like that in all french Skoda dealers... 😉

I will do some enquiries lol

On 21/07/2019 at 14:09, Enriquez said:

Yeah, They look Great! I would not go for Red, id keep them silver or black, but defo the Brembo 'Style' Calipers are the way forward. Not sure why they Don't put these on some brands/models of higher power cars.

My Alfa MiTo came with massive Brembos standard, and that was only 170bhp

I'll likely just paint my callipers and try the MTEC discs with Tarox Strada pads.  I've seen that combo get some sound reviews on Golf R forums.  I like the fact that the MTEC discs can be colour treated so you can have them black; whilst the braking surface will obviously scrub off after a while, the hub/bell section stays black.  No more awful looking rusty hubs! 

Some folk on the Octy forum have gone with Aston Martin callipers if you can find them. Same as the ttrs and Rs3 ones and then either run standard 340mm discs or will fit a 370mm. Mmmm

Edited by Esseesse200

Just now, Esseesse200 said:

Some folk on the Skoda Forman have gone with Aston Martin callipers if you can find them. Same as the tyts and Rs3 ones and then either run standard 340mm discs or will fit a 370mm. Mmmm

Not sure I would want tyts calipers even on a Skoda.:dry:

4 hours ago, VelocityVinnie said:

Yeah, They look Great! I would not go for Red, id keep them silver or black, but defo the Brembo 'Style' Calipers are the way forward. Not sure why they Don't put these on some brands/models of higher power cars.

My Alfa MiTo came with massive Brembos standard, and that was only 170bhp

This is manufacturer page of those kits. They can paint them whatever colour You want and engrave Your name on it :)

3 hours ago, penguin17 said:

I'll likely just paint my callipers and try the MTEC discs with Tarox Strada pads.  I've seen that combo get some sound reviews on Golf R forums.  I like the fact that the MTEC discs can be colour treated so you can have them black; whilst the braking surface will obviously scrub off after a while, the hub/bell section stays black.  No more awful looking rusty hubs! 

I have MTEC on my RX8, and had them on the Octavia, great disks!!

I was running EBC pads though, which i hated.

I find the Brakes on the Superb a little lack lustre, i have to be quite firm on them, and i find myself knocking the DSG down a few gears while braking, otherwise i feel like i aint gonna stop. In ECO mode, if you are approaching a roundabout or junction, it stays in 7th, right until im on the manouve, so no engine breaking, i also find it shifts up too early in all modes bar sport. it tries to go round corners in 4th lol.....................im still getting used to it, and the brake feel.

• Like 1

The Superb sits on the "MQB Chassis" so all the discs and brake upgrades from the VW Golf R (mark 7 or 7.5) fit the Superb 280.  A good place for discs, pads and big brake conversions is Vagbremtechic.  It is the brake company arm of Awesome GTi and owned by the same person.  This will give you lots of info on what fits from just upgraded discs, to bigger discs and 4 or 6 pot calipers.

Another favourite of mine is Racingline.  They have just brought out a 6 pot caliper and floating disc, ok this is up at the higher end but they have a cheaper 4 pot caliper and disc conversion as well.  Comes highly regarded in the VW Golf R tuning scene.

https://www.racingline.com/skoda-superb-wheels-braking

https://www.vagbremtechnic.com/

When my car warranty runs out next year I shall be upping the power with a Racingline stage 1 map to 350 to 370bhp.  Other add on's required as well to get the true benefit.  DQ250 6 speed gearbox can take allot more.  Well proven in the VW tuning circle.

Brakes, don't know yet, probably Racingline as I have seen them up close and they are stunning quality. Nothing wrong with Brembo, AP Racing or Alcon etc.

I won't be tracking the car of course, but its a heavy old beast and you can never have too much stopping power.😉

• Like 3

On 26/07/2019 at 08:35, RGKTSi said:

The Superb sits on the "MQB Chassis" so all the discs and brake upgrades from the VW Golf R (mark 7 or 7.5) fit the Superb 280.  A good place for discs, pads and big brake conversions is Vagbremtechic.  It is the brake company arm of Awesome GTi and owned by the same person.  This will give you lots of info on what fits from just upgraded discs, to bigger discs and 4 or 6 pot calipers.

Another favourite of mine is Racingline.  They have just brought out a 6 pot caliper and floating disc, ok this is up at the higher end but they have a cheaper 4 pot caliper and disc conversion as well.  Comes highly regarded in the VW Golf R tuning scene.

https://www.racingline.com/skoda-superb-wheels-braking

https://www.vagbremtechnic.com/

When my car warranty runs out next year I shall be upping the power with a Racingline stage 1 map to 350 to 370bhp.  Other add on's required as well to get the true benefit.  DQ250 6 speed gearbox can take allot more.  Well proven in the VW tuning circle.

Brakes, don't know yet, probably Racingline as I have seen them up close and they are stunning quality. Nothing wrong with Brembo, AP Racing or Alcon etc.

I won't be tracking the car of course, but its a heavy old beast and you can never have too much stopping power.😉

Thanks for that ill have a good read through, im also waiting until November until i do anything, the car will still be in warranty, as it will be a year old then, but ill just have to take the hit if anything goes wrong.

In terms of power, can the 7 speed box, take more than the 6, or is it the other way arround? 

On 28/07/2019 at 13:12, VelocityVinnie said:

Thanks for that ill have a good read through, im also waiting until November until i do anything, the car will still be in warranty, as it will be a year old then, but ill just have to take the hit if anything goes wrong.

In terms of power, can the 7 speed box, take more than the 6, or is it the other way arround? 

To be honest I am not sure.

Best talk to a good tuner, I would talk to Racingline or Awesome GTi.

DQ250 6 speed box can take quite a bit.  More than I will need to be honest.

A quick google found this.  Business seems to know what it is talking about.

http://www.tvsengineering.nl/nl/?Itemid=321

For serious power DSG software will need updating, change shift points and clamping pressure on the clutches.

I have seen Golf R mark 7's with power increases to 500bhp+ and appropriate torque.  So seems to handle it, clutches will wear out quicker but what cost fun😉

On 16/07/2019 at 12:53, penguin17 said:

Fair one.  Mountune could also be one to watch in future now that they are offering tuning for the Golf and they've offered warranty friendly/manufacturer backed tuning with Ford for several years now.  

Mountune parts are ford factory approved, but the remaps still invalidate the warranty (It is mentioned on their remap pages)

I know of a few ford owners that have come unstuck by not realising it, and a friend has just brought a nearly new Focus RS that was mapped, and he has a dealer warranty as the Ford one is invalid.

• Thanks 1