Mirroring & android auto problem

@craigandrew Does it give you the option box showing android auto touch button?

I've an OnePlus 6 and it's a PIA. Say OK Google and the 4 coloured dots bounce up up and down but won't recognise my voice (on the multimedia screen) but when I talk to it when I receive a WhatsApp message it understands me then.

I also used to be able to send text messages through the car screen, can't do that now either.

Not impressed currently but it's probably the phone being stupid rather than the car..

As @john999boy said a good quality cable is needed too. I bought one but mine still has issues lol.

Good luck...

Firstly phone must have Android Auto installed 

Secondly phone should connect by Bluetooth to enable streaming from phone and make calls.

Thirdly Android Auto (as does Apple Car play) only works with wired connection, so head unit must be Android Auto installed/ compatible and a usb port for the wired connection, phone is charging.

I changed my Swing to a Pioneer avh-z5100dab , which meets all of the above and phone Google Pixel 3 works perfectly.

Not plugging in phone means no Android auto, but the Bluetooth allows music streams , Spotify, and music stored on phone and hands free phonecalls

Edited by Kenrw8

13 minutes ago, VelocityVinnie said:

my HTC U11 doesnt work either, even with the HTC USB lead.

I also dont get Online content, even though my phone is tethered perfectly, and its showing the white globe....apparently car does not like EE

Now, you see that's odd.

I had an HTC 10 before this and that was fine. I also had a OnePlus 3t as a work phone and that worked perfectly too.

It wouldn't surprise me if the phone manufacturers were clowning about with the device settings unnecessarily.

3 minutes ago, Booshakker said:

Now, you see that's odd.

I had an HTC 10 before this and that was fine. I also had a OnePlus 3t as a work phone and that worked perfectly too.

It wouldn't surprise me if the phone manufacturers were clowning about with the device settings unnecessarily.

Yep my old HTC 10, still works, my newer one wont. However i had an aftermarket headunit in my Octavia II, and it worked on that fine????

ODD

My Pioneer has android as it's firmware , as does other Android based third party head units.

Whereas most until very recent OEM head units were based on feature firmware or Windows CE both of which would Bluetooth compatible for streams/ phone calling, but usb protocols would not be data capable only music transfer capable.

Don't forget that Android auto and Apple Car play are new systems that probable not compatible to older head unit firmware whether it's a feature based,Windows CE or maybe pre android 8

Edited by Kenrw8

Sorry, I've heard of cases where particular phone having connection issues yet other people with the same model don't . And all ways assumed it was down to the head unit not having the latest Firmware or that head unit is too old to be compatible with the latest phones. Yet it's been mentioned a HTC 10 release april 16 /  Oneplusv3t Nov 16 connects but your later u11 may 17 won't.  Is your U11 updated to Android 9 pie.

Some phone companies only supply a usb lead that is only for charging and will not transfer data, and data is required for Android auto and Car play.

Edited by Kenrw8

23 hours ago, VelocityVinnie said:

my HTC U11 doesnt work either, even with the HTC USB lead.

Both mine and my wife's HTC U11 works flawlessly.

Been 2 yrs now.

I don't use the HTC provided USB lead.

My phone is still running Android 8.

Edited by JR RS

57 minutes ago, VelocityVinnie said:

Hmm, maybe my phone is the issue, although it works perfectly. Maybe my USB charger port is faulty?

Have you tried another usb lead or got a brand new one, it maybe as I've its a charge lead and not charge and data lead.

Edited by Kenrw8