Clicking noise from B pillar or door

Hoping for some help. From the day I picked up my new VRS245 a month ago, there has been a noticeable clicking noise from around the B pillar when the car body flexes. Particularly over speed humps or uneven surfaces. I have a sunroof and the problem is consistent irrespective of whether the sunroof or driver's window is open.

Skoda looked at it yesterday, removing various trims but couldn't resolve it. They've now advised they want me to take the car back and leave it with them for a few days for further diagnosis - they'll put me in a courtesy car for the duration. This is far from ideal for a brand new car. I suspect they will want to get a body repairer to diagnose the problem as it may be due to a faulty weld.

Has anyone else experienced anything similar?

Hello

I had a similar problem on my last car, Fabia Monte Carlo -17.

But I would describe it as a squeaking noise that happened when driving on uneven surfaces and over bumps.

It sounded like it came from the b-pillar, close to the roof.

But the problem was that the door lock needed some lube/grease.

The part in the door that holds the door closed.

Thanks all and particularly matt_black_90. Sprayed some lubricant on the door lock/latch and it's now silent. It seems the noise was just the metal lock in the door rubbing on the metal door latch on the door frame. I really should have thought of this sooner, but it's staggering that the Skoda technicians didn't consider this after spending a few hours trying to diagnose the problem earlier this week. The diagnostic skills of modern day technicians are just appalling. 

IMG_5401.jpg

IMG_5399.jpg

Edited by manamp27
  • Like 2

On 10/08/2019 at 05:09, manamp27 said:

Thanks all and particularly matt_black_90. Sprayed some lubricant on the door lock/latch and it's now silent. It seems the noise was just the metal lock in the door rubbing on the metal door latch on the door frame. I really should have thought of this sooner, but it's staggering that the Skoda technicians didn't consider this after spending a few hours trying to diagnose the problem earlier this week. The diagnostic skills of modern day technicians are just appalling. 

IMG_5401.jpg

IMG_5399.jpg

Had exactly the same issue with my FL 230vRS. Geased the lock, the noise has now gone. Thanks for the tip.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

After a visit to dealer discovered that this problem is also on Superb, greasing the locks didn't solve the problem, but applying silicone spray on all door seals did, now the car is silent over bumps and during twisting of chasis. It looks that doors move and seals are producing this noise. 

• 4 months later...

New metal ticking rattle appeared, i guess from piano black plastic trim on the outside of doors, even when I moved the door it would make noise, for now sprayed some PTFE spray, not so easy to push some felt tape because it is laying on door on 3 raised spots, no wonder it makes ticking noise, also on this trim I push door to close. 

IMG-20200225-102401.jpg

• 1 month later...

I'm having the same noise issue from what sounds like the drivers B pillar. Clicking and clattering noise at slow speeds over bumps and humps in the road. I thought it could be the belt adjuster ratchet but not confident on pulling apart B-pillar myself while car is in warranty.

It could be the door latch mechanism so I'd like to grease it and test - what's the best spray to get - silicon grease, PTFE, white lithium grease or meta flux dri-lube?

I've read about people using white lithium grease but I understand this attracts dust and crap so can gunk up pretty easily. The grease on it now looks grey.

Edited by JimmyUK

For now I don't have rattles from bottom part but I do have ticking noise from top part when car is loaded, for now tried to lubricate, if it continues I will open the pillar. 

On 06/08/2019 at 16:29, matt_black_90 said:

Hello

I had a similar problem on my last car, Fabia Monte Carlo -17.

But I would describe it as a squeaking noise that happened when driving on uneven surfaces and over bumps.

It sounded like it came from the b-pillar, close to the roof.

But the problem was that the door lock needed some lube/grease.

The part in the door that holds the door closed.

Hi, out of interest what lubricant did you use?

Well I've come up with a temp solution for now:- Some tape on the door striker has solved the issue. So for me it's the door latch clacking on the door striker.

I've tried to loosen the door striker and tap it in towards the car lightly to try and tighten/pull the door in when it's closed, but it didn't appear to move at all?

There is grease being left on the tape so I'm not convinced it's a lack of grease on the latch that's the issue. Not sure on a total fix now?

6FDD8381-4A92-47D7-94CE-270AD82E9448.jpeg

Edited by JimmyUK